Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 04:31 PM

23,535 posts, read 24,029,400 times

Advertisements

Our margins were decent at this company and the revenue numbers were being met, by the sales team.

I would say that the root cause of this, was the unwillingness of certain people, who had knowledge power in the organization, to share critical information with others (especially newcomers). I believe that those in power felt threatened if newcomers had the knowledge they did.

Management supported those in power (the bullies) because the revenue target numbers were being met. It was a awful company that did not care about the well being of their employees (even though they professed that they did) and only cared about the bottom line ($$). The culture was one of cut throat internal competition and cliques (more tenured workers vs. newbies).

Fortunately, I worked in a field position, but what goes on at HQ becomes "public knowledge" because you can see and feel this dysfunctional culture at work once you arrive at HQ for meetings, etc.

Of course, HR turned a blind eye even after it was brought to their attention. I am glad I don't spend my days there any longer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
Do you think this is a symptom of fat margins, where the company can afford to have too many heads for too little work and still prosper, while the staff sit around and simmer in their own juices?

Stress (eg decreasing margins) in such a company has the effect of turning the seething juices of resentment into outright abusive behavior. Best thing to do is to enjoy the paychecks while they last and to be in a field position. You do NOT want to be anywhere around HQ when the oily sycophants start feeling the pressure.

In one company where I worked (good in lieu of UE while I was looking for the next thing), this was raised to an art form. People would hire themselves on in hives. First the "face guy" goes in. Then he or she brings in an enclave of serfs, all there to do his/her bidding. They may not be in the same org, so all function as intelligence and counterintelligence cells. Top management has never actually been inside a first tier company, so they can't tell the difference.

Newsflash: nobody from a first tier company would consider hiring people like this. I had the opportunity to work in several multinational Fortune 5s. All got that way by having well conceived management policies. One EVP assessed one such third tier candidate in the following way: "Yes, I know he is highly motivated and makes his numbers. But - I have worked long and hard to continue this company as a place to be proud of. Really, would you bring your plumber to your country club?"

Everybody knew exactly what he meant. Nobody will say it out loud, because for places that have it, the rules of engagement are understood. Places with class have classy norms of behavior. Places without it don't recognize it and don't know what you're talking about when you describe its characteristics. That is, integrity and professional courtesy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 05:30 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Supervisory staff has no clue about the work performed by staff they are supposed to supervise. As long as no one complains it is all good. Right.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:36 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Supervisory staff has no clue about the work performed by staff they are supposed to supervise. As long as no one complains it is all good. Right.
Gawd don't get me started! My wife got fired years back in mortgage banking from a large well know company where not one freakin' manager ever did a loan no BS! And they had the gall to tell her she was doing the job incorrect and too slow.

At Least in sales most of my managers worked from sales.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:41 PM

353 posts, read 580,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
Just wondering what others think about what makes a work environment "dysfunctional".
When a place is a compete pigsty: dirty and disorganized.
Lack of goals for a day;
When all you see is butt kissing for a raise;
A company is not about teamwork and getting things done.

Those are major problems I think.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_fox13 View Post
When a place is a compete pigsty: dirty and disorganized.
Lack of goals for a day;
When all you see is butt kissing for a raise;
A company is not about teamwork and getting things done.

Those are major problems I think.
I think that just about covers a lot of places in America, save dirty pigsty.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:59 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,384,486 times
Perhaps when a recently fired co worker returns and waits for the HR manager to leave for the day and beats her within an inch of her life as was the case at my employer five years ago.
Many in my department were pleased this happened.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:33 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
A job where someone gets fired every month

Old 04-10-2013, 06:35 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,705,450 times
Looks like the bases have been covered,so I have nothing to add except to say my employer shows all the signs listed here.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:42 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Looks like the bases have been covered,so I have nothing to add except to say my employer shows all the signs listed here.
So does mine which is why I turned in my two week notice this past Monday and will be starting a new job on the 22nd. I'm going from a small company to a large company. My current job is the only time I've ever worked for a small company. I am used to a big company. I think a small company can operate looser and with less procedures and processes which can be a negative. Large companies, while process oriented are more predictable - you know what to expect. Nobody can go too far in being a complete jerk. In a small company, the bullies can rule.

Glassdoor is a pretty good website to get a feel for corporate culture but I would guess companies gravitate to a common culture based on law, employee retention, making profits, and integrating employees from other companies. Meaning, I doubt any one company is significantly different than another if they're both about the same size and especially in the same industry.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
So does mine which is why I turned in my two week notice this past Monday and will be starting a new job on the 22nd. I'm going from a small company to a large company. My current job is the only time I've ever worked for a small company. I am used to a big company. I think a small company can operate looser and with less procedures and processes which can be a negative. Large companies, while process oriented are more predictable - you know what to expect. Nobody can go too far in being a complete jerk. In a small company, the bullies can rule.

Glassdoor is a pretty good website to get a feel for corporate culture but I would guess companies gravitate to a common culture based on law, employee retention, making profits, and integrating employees from other companies. Meaning, I doubt any one company is significantly different than another if they're both about the same size and especially in the same industry.
The problem I had at the one really large company I worked for was the red tape and bureaucracy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment