Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 04:27 PM

587 posts, read 1,407,634 times

Advertisements

I don't think alcoholism stems from unemployment. It's usually the other way around. Alcoholics will drink whether times are good or bad. Being an unemployed alcoholic drinking all day everyday just means that you are a garden variety low-functioning drunk. As a sober member of AA, generally, when people sober up, their outside life circumstances get better very quickly. This is because alcoholics generally are not stupid people. I have seen rockbottom drunks with poor employment and education histories who lived in homeless shelters without a dollar to their names get six figure jobs, with houses and cars traveling the world within a mere year of putting down the bottle. It works time and time again. I have gone years unemployed due to drinking and wanted to blame it on the economy because I was in deep denial. But whenever I got sober through working AA, I was working again within a mere few weeks or even days. They weren't the best paying jobs but hard work pays off over time. If you get sober and follow AA's spiritual principles and live off the fellowship, you would be amazed how much better your life gets in a very short period of time. God rewards people who seek his help and I have seen it time and time again.

But drinking all day everyday will kill you faster than you know. It is not uncommon for active alcoholics to die of liver failure at very young ages. But drinking alcoholically is just dangerous in itself. One night of alcoholic drinking can ruin or end your life. If you drink and drive, you are playing Russian Roulette with your life. You can't end up killing someone or yourself in a fatal car wreck. You could go to prison for years or the rest of your life for running someone over. Stumbling home drunk is not any safer seeing there are heartless people out there looking for the opportunity to rob and take advantage of drunks everywhere you go. In many clubs and bars in big cities, attractive women lure drunk lonely men into being robbed and killed. Not to mention the violence factor involved with drinking. Bar fight deaths are very common. In many bars and clubs, all you have to do is look at a guy for a second too long and he is swinging at you or stabbing or shooting at you. And it can happen anywhere. I live in one of the top three richest counties in America but I remember the day someone got shot outside the hole-in-the-wall bar in my neighborhood where I was drinking inside. Not to mention the eventual violent moodswings that eventually come with alcoholism. There are some ugly things we are capable of as active drunks that you would never think you would do while sober.

But AA is great and deserves a shot. This world is too rough to be bear without a spiritual solution and you can see it everyday. A miserable alcoholic life can be prevented although it is very hard for alcoholics to understand without going through years and years of pain. The average alcoholic needs to get beat up pretty bad before coming to AA, staying and doing it right.

Last edited by LunaticVillage; 09-13-2014 at 04:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment