Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2013, 07:10 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,214,384 times

Advertisements

Anyone know if living out of state affects your chances of being hired. We want to move out of state and husband has a technical and highly skilled job with lots of good experience and 2 masters degrees. He has spoken to a few recruiters and sent out perhaps 10 resumes, and heard nothing so far. Some of the jobs were almost perfect matches for his experience and area of expertise.

I read somewhere that applying for jobs out-of-state can lessen your chances - that somehow, having a local address and number will influence the employer when it comes to getting a call back. Husband mentioned that maybe he should of gotten a cell phone in the other state, but he really cannot move there yet to get a local address, because he would have to quit his current job. A lot of the jobs he applies for do say that they will provide relocation and housing cash; this tells me that they expect to have out of state applicants.

Any advice here on applying to out-of-state jobs? Wondering if there is anything we can to to improve his chances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 07:43 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
i've been doing this - it probably does help your chances if you have a local address you can use, but i don't and i've still gotten lots of interviews. no jobs, but lots of interviews! i think the most important thing is to state in the very beginning of your cover letter that you are relocating, a (very) short explanation of why, how quickly you can relocate, and that you don't require moving assistance (if you don't).

some places definitely will discriminate against non-local applicants and there's nothing you can really do about that beyond pretending to be local. and that has its pitfalls too, like if they call you to do an interview on short notice and you can't travel that fast. but i haven't personally found it to be too much of a barrier. the job market in general is terrible in most places and most fields these days, and he will definitely see a lower response rate than he might be used to getting.

it also doesn't hurt to look at his application materials in general. that might be the problem more than your location. you really need to have a stellar, well-organized, well written and convincing resume and cover letter to stand out these days. i've been working like crazy on this the last few months and i've definitely seen an increase in responses.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:54 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,214,384 times
Thanks groar. I will mention adding the move to the cover letter. Maybe something about being in the process of moving there, since technically we are.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:03 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
no problem! i think that's a great way to put it. another thing i thought of is he can put "moving to _____ in _________" just under the address on his resume. that way it's one of the first things they see no matter where they look. it can be "spring 2013" or whatever if you're waiting for him to secure a job before you go and don't know what month it will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment