Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2013, 07:45 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,942,903 times

Advertisements

Some woman left me a message asking me to call her back about a job I had applied for so she could ask me some preliminary questions. The thing is, I never applied for the job with the organization she mentioned. She called from GA and the job is in TX so I am assuming she is a recruiter? She also sounded like she was reading from a piece of paper rather than working for the HR department of the organization the position is with.

The only reason I am questioning whether it is a recruiter is because this is government organization and I went back and read their minutes. The minutes said their board specifically decided NOT to hire a recruitment firm to fill the position.

Despite that, I'd still think its probably a recruiter but I was wondering if someone else might have an idea what is going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 09:04 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,332,879 times
My first thought is that someone is trying to phish your identity. Job-hunters are accustomed to revealing all sorts of private data on job-application websites, resumes and so on, so they make tempting targets for scam artists. Good for you for doing your due diligence and spotting the scam. You may want to report it to the authorities as well.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:14 PM

340 posts, read 913,705 times
I'd be very cautious... ask questions, and don't give out any information they can use to steal your identity unless you meet them in person.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:30 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,725,723 times
If you posted your resume on Monster or any similar sites, be prepared to get calls and emails from any and every job recruiter in the free world regardless if it's the type of job you were looking for or not.

I made that mistake once a long time ago. Never again.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:50 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,942,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
If you posted your resume on Monster or any similar sites, be prepared to get calls and emails from any and every job recruiter in the free world regardless if it's the type of job you were looking for or not.

I made that mistake once a long time ago. Never again.
Oh yeah, I became well acquainted with those back when I got out of college and before I got my first job. Those almost always involve some type of sales, some "account executive with no experience" fakery or require some sort of fee. I've gotten really good at sniffing those out.

That said, I don't get too many of those anymore. The closest I came to that was Farmers Insurance wanted me to come be an agent for them. I think the really blatantly obvious fake jobs are targeted at recent grads. After five years of work experience, I'm getting different kinds of emails and calls, virtually all of which can be traced back to legitimate organizations and job postings. My only concern about this one is that some scam artist chose a legitimate posting at a legitimate organization and is running a scam that way.

Most likely what I will do is call the HR department of the organization directly and see if they have any idea what is going on.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:24 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,998,064 times
I had this happen last year because my resume was posted on careerbuilder and the guy called to invite me to a interview because a recruiter for his company saw my resume.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:06 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,474,280 times
If you are suspicious you should ask where she is from look them up online and call their number off the website.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:29 PM

11,240 posts, read 11,017,223 times
It's just more BS that job seekers have to deal with.

You gotta love it. Hello Mr. ********** (and they spell your name wrong to boot), we saw your resume and believe you would be a good candidate for our growing firm (which has absolutely no relationship to any of your previous employment experience on your resume). If you would like to see if you qualify for an interview just.........

In the meantime, you've got over a hundred resumes out there for jobs that you actually really want and have field experience in, and not a soul from those employers even seem to know you exist.

Just another example of the sad way things are turning out these days.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:15 PM

560 posts, read 1,548,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Some woman left me a message asking me to call her back about a job I had applied for so she could ask me some preliminary questions. The thing is, I never applied for the job with the organization she mentioned. She called from GA and the job is in TX so I am assuming she is a recruiter? She also sounded like she was reading from a piece of paper rather than working for the HR department of the organization the position is with.

The only reason I am questioning whether it is a recruiter is because this is government organization and I went back and read their minutes. The minutes said their board specifically decided NOT to hire a recruitment firm to fill the position.

Despite that, I'd still think its probably a recruiter but I was wondering if someone else might have an idea what is going on.

I got the same call today but I never applied to this job. When i called the number back, it is from a company called 'WN Physicians'?! Never even heard of them, let alone apply. It is a scammer as usual so ignore and report it to authorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment