Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you choose
Lower Pay,positon for Great Company 3 100.00%
Higher Pay and position for Bad Company 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 05:58 AM

640 posts, read 1,289,453 times

Advertisements

Anyone ever had to make this choice?

Choose a Great organization in your industry but the job is lower salary and a lower position.

Or take a higher postion and higher salary job at a bad organization in your industry.

Let say the salary difference is 50 percent.

Which would you choose and why??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 07:42 AM

12,064 posts, read 23,092,364 times
A part of it would depend on where I was in my career and if the "bad organization" was looking to make improvements, which is why they would be hiring me at a higher position.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:59 AM

6,557 posts, read 11,181,141 times
You'll need to define "great" and "bad" as they can be interpreted in many ways.

If all else is equal - its easier to change your position/pay than the environment of the organization. That said, all else is never equal in life. There are so many factors that can play into this...

Old 04-13-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
You'll need to define "great" and "bad" as they can be interpreted in many ways.

If all else is equal - its easier to change your position/pay than the environment of the organization. That said, all else is never equal in life. There are so many factors that can play into this...
Thanks for your input

A Great Organization is one in which TRUST the people you work for,they have PRIDE in what you do and you enjoy the people you work with.

A Bad Organization is one in which there is no TRUST with the people you work for. You have no PRIDE in what you do, and you dont enjoy the people you work with.

So for a 50 percent pay raise would you jump to a BAD organization or workplace??

Old 04-13-2013, 03:18 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,414,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimewitue View Post
Anyone ever had to make this choice?

Choose a Great organization in your industry but the job is lower salary and a lower position.

Or take a higher postion and higher salary job at a bad organization in your industry.

Let say the salary difference is 50 percent.

Which would you choose and why??
Take the money. Fifty percent is a lot of money. Unless I was miserable, I'd find a way to make it work.

Also, the salary you get on your next job often depends on the salary on your last job. So, even if you hate your job but are making 50% more, you have a better chance of finding a likable job at the higher salary than if you would have been coming from the lower paid job.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:35 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,483,882 times
In general I'd say take the money. But, I myself am adding a third part time job to my work week even though the pay is less then my other two jobs. Reason is, its more hours, its a schedule I can work with, the hours are sufficient to put me in benefits, and I was 3 times told by the recruiter and the hiring manager that I was overqualified but those overqualifications put me instantly in to "employee to watch" status for additional hours and some management opportunities that could happen quickly. I was temp a manager at one of my jobs until the corporate office lost a large contract. But I got what I needed which was manager on my resume. I believe I have exhausted any advancement potential at my current jobs, and this company appears to recognize potential quickly. They just wanted to make sure I was not taking the position for desperation, I assured them that it was for quick advancement opportunities.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:27 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,420,588 times
Sure, more money is attractive but there are many factors to consider beyond just "bad or good" company. The most significant is how will YOU be doing in each. Lets assume your performance is short of expectations in the "good" company. They'll let you go in a few days or weeks. How does it look now? Which one is better?

Old 04-14-2013, 12:41 AM

33 posts, read 58,713 times
I am in a similar position. Although I have not received an offer, I am anticipating 3 offers in the next week. One with a company with a great reputation and great job opportunity and something I would thoroughly enjoy but pay is very low. Other two jobs are more aligned with previous salaries and type of work I am used to. They are great companies too, good pay, work hours and culture. Now I have to wait on the offers and then decide. I feel like I will be doing some serious analysis to make the best decision. I don't want to run for pay but pay is a factor. Also the Lower paying job would be so rewarding but still, I have bills to pay.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Take the money. Fifty percent is a lot of money. Unless I was miserable, I'd find a way to make it work.

Also, the salary you get on your next job often depends on the salary on your last job. So, even if you hate your job but are making 50% more, you have a better chance of finding a likable job at the higher salary than if you would have been coming from the lower paid job.

Take the Money Good advice. I agree that taking a job for more money is good if your patience with the work and can handle it u can gain valuable experience and a better wages for your next job nego.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
In general I'd say take the money. But, I myself am adding a third part time job to my work week even though the pay is less then my other two jobs. Reason is, its more hours, its a schedule I can work with, the hours are sufficient to put me in benefits, and I was 3 times told by the recruiter and the hiring manager that I was overqualified but those overqualifications put me instantly in to "employee to watch" status for additional hours and some management opportunities that could happen quickly. I was temp a manager at one of my jobs until the corporate office lost a large contract. But I got what I needed which was manager on my resume. I believe I have exhausted any advancement potential at my current jobs, and this company appears to recognize potential quickly. They just wanted to make sure I was not taking the position for desperation, I assured them that it was for quick advancement opportunities.
Well I took the money once before my career and got burned. After three months I was let go due to conflicts with the boss and horrible work enviroment. Found out three months later my former boss and co-workers where let go as well. So taking a job for the money can get you burn with a company that is on the downside or a company that isnt financially sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Sure, more money is attractive but there are many factors to consider beyond just "bad or good" company. The most significant is how will YOU be doing in each. Lets assume your performance is short of expectations in the "good" company. They'll let you go in a few days or weeks. How does it look now? Which one is better?
Good point Yeah sometimes a bad company doesnt really measure performance fairly or accurately. A good company would have better performance measurements. I believe you're more likely to get let go at a Bad company than a good company. A good company would invest and educate current employees rather than rush to get new ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attigin2012 View Post
I am in a similar position. Although I have not received an offer, I am anticipating 3 offers in the next week. One with a company with a great reputation and great job opportunity and something I would thoroughly enjoy but pay is very low. Other two jobs are more aligned with previous salaries and type of work I am used to. They are great companies too, good pay, work hours and culture. Now I have to wait on the offers and then decide. I feel like I will be doing some serious analysis to make the best decision. I don't want to run for pay but pay is a factor. Also the Lower paying job would be so rewarding but still, I have bills to pay.
I think one way to think about this is IF PAY was EQUAL at all Three company what job will you take?? Take money out of the equation. But you're right it hard to do that because we all have bills to pay.

Its a tough decision go with your GUT.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:31 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,424,020 times
The extremes of the position are the issue here. If I were faced with working for a company for 40+ hours a week in which I was absolutely miserable, I'd take the lesser paid position with the "good" company. A company which cares for and appreciates its employees is likely to offer good opportunities for advancement in all areas. I can't imagine spending such a huge part of my life being unhappy as that would carry into my "off" time and affect not only my life outside work but probably my general health as well. I've never been faced with such an extreme and doubt that many would ever be in such a position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment