Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 11:07 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
I guess you don't feel that any civil engineers fall into the "best talent".
Not all civil engineers are the "best." Just like with a graduating class, some are at the top, others are at the bottom, most are in the middle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 11:29 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,079,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
I have to check myself sometimes because I end up feeling the same way about other people who are more charming/charismatic than me. I'm shy and introverted by nature, and it doesn't matter how hard I try, I will never be able to be charming/charismatic. Trust me, I've tried.
True, society definitely favors those outgoing charismatic people. And yea, they'll probably land those higher paying and higher profile jobs over people who are more talented (politicians come to mind).

But the important thing to remember is nothing would get do right without those people who are more introverted and hard-working. The job may not be as glamorous, but it can be more satisfying.

Also keep in mind that you're only looking at one aspect of the person. You may have much better skills or abilities in other areas. You might be able to play an instrument or sport, be better at relationships, etc.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:31 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
Your friend is just exploiting a natural. We all do it, it's just that some of us are better at it then others. Good for him. Attach yourself to a rising star or stay behind and exploit your own inner talents. Why be jealous? Wouldn't you do exactly the same thing if you were in his shoes?

Old 04-17-2013, 02:20 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
try to limit the time you spend looking up people from your past on Facebook and on the internet in general. It is very depressing to look up people from my past who were bad kids who are now making far more money than I ever will.
Social Envy - Study Finds Facebook Causes Depression And Isolation - All News Is Global |

Old 04-17-2013, 03:54 PM

4 posts, read 21,446 times
Um I'm a girl btw. I don't want to be his friend anymore. He is a con artist and a rebellious coward. It should be me getting the spoils of hard work, not him. To be quite honest, the replies on the first 3 pages make me extremely uncomfortable. If what you all are saying is true, then I want nothing more than to travel to a jungle far away and live with a tribe far away from society forever while studying medical plants for the rest of my life.

My whole life I've been told that if I live by the rules and excel at school, I would make it into the middle class and be successful. This guy thumbed his nose at the system his entire life, always looking for shortcuts and ways to make people believe he is more than just a human, on a crusade for his own brand of justice.

He is also a pathological liar, it really hurt when he told me that that world would function perfectly fine without us. He made me feel worthless. I'd like to think that the world needs me.

I wish I never met him. I hope he goes to prison someday on a technicality.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:01 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,040,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Snapper View Post
Um I'm a girl btw. I don't want to be his friend anymore. He is a con artist and a rebellious coward. It should be me getting the spoils of hard work, not him. To be quite honest, the replies on the first 3 pages make me extremely uncomfortable. If what you all are saying is true, then I want nothing more than to travel to a jungle far away and live with a tribe far away from society forever while studying medical plants for the rest of my life.

My whole life I've been told that if I live by the rules and excel at school, I would make it into the middle class and be successful. This guy thumbed his nose at the system his entire life, always looking for shortcuts and ways to make people believe he is more than just a human, on a crusade for his own brand of justice.

He is also a pathological liar, it really hurt when he told me that that world would function perfectly fine without us. He made me feel worthless. I'd like to think that the world needs me.

I wish I never met him. I hope he goes to prison someday on a technicality.
As I said in my post, I can completely relate to you. I too, was promised by my parents and teachers that doing well in school would give me a better life than the people such as the guy you described. And it seems that just posting about it here, others on this board (as you have seen) give me a hard time, just like they are doing with you. It is frustrating, and I feel like I can't win, even on a message board.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:07 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,657,533 times
After all of those posts, you still don't see how motivating people, building teams and being an effective advocate are valuable skills.

Here is the thing, OP: You can have a version of what your friend has. You need to let go of the erroneous ideas that you cling to. Then, start working on those softer skills.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:14 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,374,083 times
If the op's story is essentially true we had a name for them in academic debate:

God's Children.

They'd get up and read the phone book and the judge would vote for them! (or judges)
Fortuantely for the hard working they're actually quite rare.

born politicians, if they play their cards right.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:17 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,310,183 times
There are people that have charisma or that undefinable "it". These people seem to sail through life, and everyone wants to be around them. There is nothing to be done, but be glad for him. You will never understand why he seems to have it so easy while you have to work so hard for everything. Life is not fair, and no one ever said it would be. Just do your best, and don't worry about him because there is nothing you can do.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:44 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,040,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
OK. So you have just made your original statement sound silly.

I don't know if you second statement is true or not, but I would follow up with this question. Why did someone assume that more education equals more money?
Because our teachers and parents basically promised us that. I do not know whether or not they had ulterior motives, or if their promises were well-intentioned but misguided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment