U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 02:36 PM

4 posts, read 17,446 times

Advertisements

In the business world have you ever come across someone wildly charismatic and popular..despite being of average skill and not actually doing anything? How is it like to work for someone like this? I don't think I can, I'm too angry and would want to expose him for what he is...a fraud.

This is about a guy that reminds me a lot of the Wizard from the Wizard of Oz.

I got a bachelors degree in Biology and have been working as a lab tech for $12/hour for the past year. I got a 4.0 GPA in my major coursework. I've hauled ass my whole life and worked through high school and college but I feel that all my work hasn't amounted to anything.

A guy that grew up in my neighborhood never studied and always got B+ grades from elementary school through college...hell...he's still in college! He's a 5th year undergrad and got accepted to a top M.S. program despite majoring in...Sociology. He always knew how to rile up a crowd and give flamboyant speeches without actually doing anything. He was voted Prom King in High school but he never actually did anything, he just gives these Hollywood caliber, over the top speeches and tells people what they should do to realize their talents after negotiating with people. He even stopped two gangs from fighting each other just by talking and doing speeches.

I applied many times for paid internships in the Federal Government to get a top secret clearance, and never got called back. I felt like ripping my hair out when I heard that he got the paid internship the first time he applied, with his mediocre grades and poor work ethic. I almost had a stroke when I found out that he got an all expenses paid scholarship and flies around the country giving speeches and drawing pretty little pictures in Microsoft Visio visualizing business processes and trains of thought.

He gets hundreds of dollars for drawing pretty pictures, talking to high level executives about their company's goals, and visualizing work flow and working group processes.

He's a bum that hasn't even graduated yet with a B+ GPA in a liberal arts degree. What really made me hate him was when he told me that as long as I always "thought inside the box" and followed everybody else I would always be average, a disposable number.

Do I have a point, or am I just jealous?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 02:46 PM

22,759 posts, read 16,836,071 times
It is jealousy. You should be happy for your friend.

And it's a lesson that life doesn't always seem fair. We work our tails off to get ahead and someone else comes along, says all the right things and succeeds without having to do half the work that we did. Charisma goes a very, very long way in everything.

The fact that he knows how to talk people in to things is why he is so successful. Don't hate him for this, it is who he is.

You keep working hard and doing what you know how to do. That's all we can do even if we wish it were as "easy" for us as it appears to be for others.

And listen to your friend: He's right. If you are a cut out of everybody else, you will never stand out. Think outside the box, (how I hate that phrase), is how you stand out from others and in turn, can make you successful, as well.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:59 PM

4,826 posts, read 7,277,593 times
Sounds like your friend is one of those inspirational speakers who can get people going and convinces them they can do anything. And, yes, like the Wizard of Oz, he is not giving anyone anything they don't already have within themselves.

Unfortunately, people LOVE people like him and he will be chosen over people who have better work ethics, better grades, better overall.

The only thing you can do is to maybe use him to make yourself better.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:02 PM

570 posts, read 1,505,644 times
You are just jealous. Charisma is very important. What grades that you got from school is not important. 4.0 GPA is meaningless. Nobody ever ask me about my grades in any interview.

"He even stopped two gangs from fighting each other just by talking and doing speeches. " this said it all. He probably can help other companies make more money or atleast other companies thinks he can help them.

On an interview, if you can make people think you can help them make more money, they will hire you.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:19 PM

2,533 posts, read 3,957,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Snapper View Post

I got a bachelors degree in Biology and have been working as a lab tech for $12/hour for the past year. I got a 4.0 GPA in my major coursework.

He gets hundreds of dollars for drawing pretty pictures
I make $27/hr, OT @ $40.50 and never went to college a day in my life.

All I do is draw things on a computer with AutoCad, generate CNC programs and make metal parts.

I'm good with computers and a keyboard (100 wpm typist) and cost less than someone with an engineering degree.

It's a career that didn't cost me $100k in college education fees. It's been self taught with on the job training. I did take 3 years of typing and computers in high school.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:37 PM

2,085 posts, read 1,858,791 times
I'd be happy for him if he was my friend and I would use his success to better myself. It just seems like he had what it took to make it in this world.

Good for him.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:42 PM

340 posts, read 792,413 times
Definite jealousy.

Work smart, not hard.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:55 PM

4,308 posts, read 11,808,320 times
Of course you're jealous. So what? Just remember, what goes around comes around.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:02 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,670,405 times
Well, the correct term is envy. But I think it is a legitimate feeling.

I have to check myself sometimes because I end up feeling the same way about other people who are more charming/charismatic than me. I'm shy and introverted by nature, and it doesn't matter how hard I try, I will never be able to be charming/charismatic. Trust me, I've tried.

But if anything, having that ability naturally will help you get through life with a lot more ease than others. Our culture values extroversion. But that's just how it is and you can't change it, so envy will get you nowhere. Don't waste your energy on it.

Luckily, I seem to be smarter than average (very slightly!), so I have that going for me. I've been able to get through school with a lot less effort than others. We all have strengths and weaknesses.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:08 PM

2,533 posts, read 3,957,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
Well, the correct term is envy. But I think it is a legitimate feeling.
Yep. Don't hate because others better themselves.

That was the point of my original response. I feel great about where I am at in life and put forth a lot of effort to get here.

Am I jealous of some engineer making $100k? Nope because I'd be there too if I had put forth the same effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or