Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 11:42 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,390,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Whether the employer contests the benefits or not, its the Unemployment Commission that decides if you actually get benefits. You do NOT GET UE IF YOU QUIT! Just keep that in your head, do NOT get UE if you quit! Look, your employer is playing word games with you, don't fall for it!
You have absolutely NO idea what you are talking about. None.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 11:50 PM

300 posts, read 1,136,516 times
This sounds very fishy; why would they ask you to resign if you were doing so well? Something is not adding up; take the weekend the think about it than decide by Monday. Whatever you decide to do always trust your instincts and get it in writing.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:09 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,618,277 times
I live in Florida and if you quit you will not receive unemployment-

Not that unemployment is so great here...it's a little more than minimum wage...

Hard decision...good luck

Old 04-21-2013, 06:49 AM

105 posts, read 603,218 times
I am going to call UI tomorrow morning and tell them what happened. Friends do not think my company will contest as they just wanted me to go quietly. If UI says I will have an issue, I may just have to say that I was terminated or laid off and send it through to my boss directly. As one of the writer's above wrote, it was a discharge. I also read over the action plan that my regional wrote up and there were lies. She said things in there that she never said and said that I said things that I never said. Interesting how they can get away with things.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:01 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,764,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
There is, of course, risk in case you lose, then have a termination that will make it hard to get a better job. If they have written documentation of your unsatisfactory performance, then you would be better off resigning and finding a new job as soon as possible. Unfortunately, a verbal "we will not fight unemployment" means nothing, I would suggest asking for that in writing before agreeing to resign.
Depends on the employer, but many employers treat a "forced to resign" as equal to a termination. Public employers almost always treat a forced to resign as equal to a termination.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:16 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,010,863 times
Maybe you shouldn't sign something? Or put "signed but do not agree" lol.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:52 AM

853 posts, read 4,035,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graceful2 View Post
I am going to call UI tomorrow morning and tell them what happened. Friends do not think my company will contest as they just wanted me to go quietly. If UI says I will have an issue, I may just have to say that I was terminated or laid off and send it through to my boss directly. As one of the writer's above wrote, it was a discharge. I also read over the action plan that my regional wrote up and there were lies. She said things in there that she never said and said that I said things that I never said. Interesting how they can get away with things.
Just wanted to chime in again since a similar thing happened to me although not in Florida and I had not planned to take FMLA. Unemployment did look at my situation as having been laid off/fired and not that I quit. Since the company had me sign something agreeing to being asked to resign, I got unemployment and unemployment didn't even count the $ I got from the company as severance (so it wasn't subtracted from unemployment).

So, it can work out in that sense but the more you can understand from Florida unemployment and from what the company puts in writing, the safer you will be. When you call unemployment, maybe see if they can tell you how the $ you will get from your company will impact unemployment. There could be a difference between $ that is part of the agreement and $ that is for vacation days.

I do think though that it is possible they are trying to have you resign instead of firing you to avoid repercussions related to FMLA, so I would still research that angle online (FMLA retaliation) and see what you think. Maybe you can get more out of them in a resigning agreement.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
I live in Florida and if you quit you will not receive unemployment-

Not that unemployment is so great here...it's a little more than minimum wage...

Hard decision...good luck
Fantastic. You live in Florida and have NO idea how your unemployment system works.

Please go to the UI website and find out how to qualify for UI. You WILL see you CAN get UI if you quit.

Ignorance is an issue when it is in your own life. It is irresponsible when you share your ignorance with others and treat it as fact.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graceful2 View Post
Do NOT shoot yourself in the foot. Whether you resign or are terminated, you were FORCED to quit. Quitting implies that you would still have a job if you did not quit. In your case, you are gone either way. UI is a LEGAL process. As it says below, the first requirement is that you lost your job through no fault of your own. If you quit, UI WILL want to know why you quit and will assess if it was not your fault. In your case, if you do not quit you will get fired. Pretty clearly not on you in this one.

Do NOT DO NOT DO NOT listen to the people here who have no idea.

Tell the UI people the truth. YOU decide if you are going to quit or let them fire you. UI will make no differentiation between the 2 in this case.

Florida UI Website...

Benefits.gov - Florida Unemployment Compensation Services

In order to qualify for benefits, you must:

Have lost your job through no fault of your own.
Be actively looking for a new job.
Be ready to take a new job when offered.
Meet wage requirements based on your previous job(s).

The 10 Things you should know pamphlet...

http://www.floridajobs.org/Unemploym...%20English.pdf

Frequently Asked Questions - FloridaJobs.org

And, last but not least, here is the Florida Law on benefits. ANY of you claiming you are not able to get UI if you quit, PLEASE read.

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

Old 04-21-2013, 11:52 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
FMLA stuff is tricky. From my understanding, if the employer violates FMLA.....and it is PROVED......big money. I'm talkin' 24 weeks of pay BIG MONEY.

But....that can take a long time, and there's always a chance that the employee can lose.

Listen to the bunny.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment