Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 12:24 PM

38 posts, read 52,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Sadly, the employee/employer relationship these days is 'all about business'. There is no longer anything personal about it. Employees behave poorly, and employers use employess to do their dirt, and don't hesittae to dump them when it suits their cause.

The system of checks and balances is 'documentation'. Make sure husband talks with HR, gets a report filed, and gets a copy of the report. It makes sense to have an atty, and to bring in ADA/EEOC/etc. folks as well.
I sure know all about employers not caring about employees. My husband's company is just like that. They used to be a good company until they were bought out in 2011 by a large company we all know. I won't say the name, but they have a chocolate flavored drink mix with a rabbit on it.

I don't think his managers intended for it to go that far, but they should have known when to back off. They seemed to think that my husband could control how he reacted. Sorry, but the brain controls more than we realize. Injured brains can malfunction from time to time. They should be glad that I wasn't at the meeting. I'd have a thing or two to say to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 03:51 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,921,230 times
I think he should report it so that it's documented (in case you ever need to get an attorney) but keep in mind HR does not exist to represent the employee. HR exists to keep the employer from getting sued.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:50 PM

Update: So here's what happened with the meeting, which seems like it was a waste of time. The HR woman seemed like she was on my husband's side before the meeting. In the meeting she didn't seem concerned at all.

HR said that the managers didn't cause the near seizure my husband had (even though they stressed him out). She didn't think it was wrong that the managers continued to badger my husband even after he started hyperventilating and shaking (they didn't even seem concerned). To me, it's no different than pushing someone with a heart condition until they almost have a heart attack. She acted as if my husband could control his panic attack and that a seizure could be stopped just like that. HR thought is was good that they brought in an employee with some EMT training (supposedly) and made my husband breathe in a paper bag (stupid old wives tale). Breathing in a paper bag is useless! I'd hate to see what they would have done if an actual seizure had happened.

The ignorant HR lady needs to understand that stress can cause a seizure. A brain injury can cause the person to get overwhelmed and stressed easily. The brain is working much harder now than before the injury. It's hard to predict when any of these things will decide to act up. HR also isn't inside my husband's body and can't feel what he experiences in certain situations.

I think if the managers would have apologized a long time ago or even showed some concern about my husband's well-being, it would have made a big difference and my husband would have been able to move on. Without that he just stays angry at them. He feels like they can do whatever they want and get away with it.

At least he got his side of the story in. That was the main purpose of the meeting. I didn't expect much from it.

Last edited by purple socks; 07-27-2013 at 01:22 PM..

Old 07-27-2013, 12:55 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,439,604 times
I don't think the HR lady is ignorant at all............she is doing her job, and that is to protect the company interest not yours.............she is just creating a perception of being helpful. This has been my exp with HR, act like your friend, defend their employer at all costs, because their job is on the line.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:57 PM

42 posts, read 86,483 times
Has your Husband exhausted his FML? He would be eligible for it based on his injury. He could also apply for intermittent FML when he needs time off because of his medical issue.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
I don't think the HR lady is ignorant at all............she is doing her job, and that is to protect the company interest not yours.............she is just creating a perception of being helpful. This has been my exp with HR, act like your friend, defend their employer at all costs, because their job is on the line.
I never had good experiences dealing with HR people either. I meant that she was being ignorant about seizures and head injuries. Lots of people are, but they aren't the ones dealing with an employee with those problems.

I have been very tempted to send her a letter myself, but I'm sure it wouldn't be very nice.

Last edited by purple socks; 07-27-2013 at 01:16 PM..

Old 07-27-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whtknight212 View Post
Has your Husband exhausted his FML? He would be eligible for it based on his injury. He could also apply for intermittent FML when he needs time off because of his medical issue.
It really seems like he doesn't have much say in things. The doctors and his case manager are aware of all of his issues, but if they say he can work, then what choice does he have? I haven't always agreed with what the doctors say. It seems like they all want to rush things or just don't understand how demanding his job can be. That's a different matter though.

I might be a bit overprotective though.

I should add that his injury date was Nov. 2010. Almost 3 years ago, but brains like to take their time healing. The first year and a half were spent on and off work.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:14 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,260,493 times
Union & lawyer both
the big guns now
now is the time do not roll over and play dead they will eat u

Old 07-27-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Union & lawyer both
the big guns now
now is the time do not roll over and play dead they will eat u
explain

Old 07-27-2013, 01:34 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,001,844 times
My FIL injured himself on the job (he was also a truck driver), and ended up having emergency surgery on his brain because the injury caused two blood clots.

That was at least 2 years ago and he hasn't worked SINCE. I'm surprised your hubby's job is pushing him so.

Yes PLEASE get a lawyer involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment