Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 05:52 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,171,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I'd love to have a cleaning service come in to deep clean 4-6 times a year, but so far the jobs that I've seen them do aren't any better than I do myself, so no thanks. I spend about 20 minutes a day on housework, not including laundry (which is probably 30 minutes a week) and the kitchen (cooking and cleaning). Housework is actually good exercise, I don't mind doing it.
I live alone and am neat, and I actually enjoy cleaning (partly because the first two things make it easy ), so I don't mind doing it. But in my previous location I had a larger house and my son was still living at home. My neighbors had a cleaning crew that came once a week and I hired them twice a year to do the really heavy cleaning like washing the wood blinds and windows, cleaning the wood floors, etc. They did a great job and cleaned my house when I sold it and moved out. If you can find good workers it's a nice compromise between having them in weekly and having no help at all.

House cleaners are also great for elderly people. My aunt lived to age 95 and after falling and needing a walker at age 88, really couldn't clean her house anymore, but was able to live alone, so for her it allowed her to stay in her house without it turning into a pigsty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 06:35 PM

30,321 posts, read 51,921,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
No. Anyone who cant cook and clean for themselves is just a child. Real adult men and women take care of themselves.
That's ridiculous. If you can afford it, and especially if you're a DUAL-income home, having hired help doesn't mean you're a "child." It simply means you are busy, and would rather pay somebody else to do the housework. When both parents are working demanding jobs, as is often the case where I live, it's stupid NOT to hire somebody if you can swing it. My sister and her husband both work in high-level executive positions, often 60-70+ hours per week, so the last thing they want to do is clean & cook once they get home. They'd rather spend that time with their children, silly them. They do a good deal of it themselves, but also have a cleaning lady about once a week to relieve some of the burden.

My family always had live-in help when I was growing up, just maids/nannies, and it was a good thing for all of us. They got a fair salary, in addition to room & board 5-6 days/week, plus we even helped a few to gain full citizenship... and we got reliable help with cleaning, cooking, childcare, etc, so my parents could concentrate on work and spending time with us. That was a long time ago, so I don't know how things go now, but we found them through word-of-mouth (recommendations from other families, former maids, etc) or newspaper classified ads. Only once did we have a problem, where the woman stole a few things from us - and she was promptly fired, along with some criminal charges. But considering we had help for ~30 years, I'd say one bad apple isn't exactly horrible odds. Anyway, that's my experience!

Old 04-26-2013, 06:51 PM

30,321 posts, read 51,921,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Quit View Post
In Los Angeles, for example, you probably want to be Mexican. I hear it is better to be Asian in the Northeast, but I can't be sure (fwiw, Mark Burnett was a maid or something like that when he first came to America, but that is a rare bird).
We moved from Maryland to California when I was 6 1/2 years old, and I quickly noticed the difference in nationalities of the domestic help... back in MD (at least in the '80s) it was mostly Afro-Caribbean women, and here in CA they're usually either Mexican or Central American. Our family mostly employed El Salvadoreans here, and back east we had a lady from Jamaica and another from Trinidad.

Funniest thing was when we hired a lady from Ireland in 1989, and less than a month later the Loma Prieta Quake hit us hard. We got home that evening, and she was literally packing her bags - said "I'm going back to Ireland, where the ground doesn't shake beneath you!!" We tried to assure her that wasn't typical (big ones), but she was outta there within hours.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:54 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,833,702 times
I hire my unemployed brothers to clean my small apt. One of my brothers feeds and cleans my rabbit for 20 per week
They just mop,vacuum,and that's it. They don't dust.
I pay them about $20, and they only take about an hr or 2.
Its my way of having them earn money.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:10 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I hire my unemployed brothers to clean my small apt. One of my brothers feeds and cleans my rabbit for 20 per week
They just mop,vacuum,and that's it. They don't dust.
I pay them about $20, and they only take about an hr or 2.
Its my way of having them earn money.
I think that's a great thing that you do with your brothers.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:23 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,407,819 times
Default lol...

I dream of having a housekeeper that would come to my home twice a week and cook and clean.
I would be so greatful...
Koale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment