Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2013, 07:28 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,907 times

Advertisements

7:30 am - arrive at work
7:31 am - ask boss for a raise, he says no
7:32 am to 7:40 am - make coffee, go to the bathroom
7:40 am to 11:00 am - review financial records and other corporate documents
11:00 am to 12:00 pm - stuff my face at a local eatery
12:00 pm to 4:00 pm - review financial records and other corporate documents
4:00 pm - say bye to boss who gets to work 2 hours before I do
4:01 pm - 4:27 pm - continue reviewing financial records and other corporate documents
4:28 pm - 4:29 pm - start shutting down my computer and pack up
4:30 pm - head out the door
4:32 pm - peel out of the parking lot

That's a typical day. Sometimes I'll have to work late if we are coming up on a deadline or something, but that is how most of my days go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 09:19 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
My days are literally NEVER the same, which is one reason I like being a librarian so much. But my Tuesdays and Wednesdays are fairly routine lately, so here is my general schedule:

12:30pm(ish) - arrive at work
12:30-1:00 - talk with my circulation supervisor, usually about a combination of work-related and personal stuff (this is the only time we're at work together)
1:00-1:30ish - process any new adult & teen books that have arrived
1:30-3:00 - check email, answer reference questions, start on any projects I can do from the ref desk
3:00-3:05 - short smoke break, before the after-school rush starts!
3:05-4:30 - answer reference questions, continue with various projects
4:30-5:00 - "lunch" break
5:00-8:00 - more reference desk time, and blogging on my staff blog if it's slow
8:00-8:10 - try to get everyone out of the library, close up, gossip with my co-workers for a few minutes, and go home.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:21 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
P.S. I'm laughing at your schedule, especially the "ask boss for raise, he says no" part! That's one good AND bad thing about my (government) job, we know exactly when the raises are due and for how much... good for the consistency, bad because our raises are measly at best. Anyway, I just had an image of the dude from Office Space as I read your routine.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:24 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
I can't define it to that level of detail. I arrive at 7am and am the only one there, make the first pot of coffee and spend half an hour or so reviewing and signing off on work that people did after I left the day before. As they start arriving I usually walk by their desks and greet them but mostly work on things like performance reviews, and the backlog of other work like creating new reports, updating procedures, planning for system upgrades, and putting out fires that come up, or answer my employees questions.

I normally go for a walk along the waterfront at about 11am and then grab lunch at my desk and then get back to work until 3:00 when I walk the mile back to my bus home. I see my boss for half an hour every Friday afternoon, and rarely at other times as needed.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:53 PM

29,818 posts, read 24,898,335 times
Ha, I wish I had a daily routine! Actually, I take that back.

On a normal morning...

7:30 AM: Continue finishing what I was working on the day before. If completed, I run through the regular maintenance checks on the machinery. We use coolant and water mix, so I have to check the concentration with a device called a refractometer. Get a couple drops on the lens and hold up to the light. Funny story, I actually got it a little too close to a moving spindle while trying to collect coolant. Ended up smacking the end and knocking the internal lens loose. Had to open the thing up and use thread tape to secure it back in place. Still works though Other morning crap... Top EDMs off with deionized water, empty overnight spent wire, empty waste water collected from our air lines, and tons of other stuff as they needs to be done. Being the youngest guy in the shop, I kind of get stuck with the crappy jobs that either involve getting dirty, busting my rear, or worse. Gotta pay the dues...

7:45 - 8:00 AM: Get report from head honcho. Usually it's getting some CNC jobs going, and getting some EDM blanks made on the manual equipment once those are running. Other times, it's some grinding work on semi finished work. Our water grinders run automatically once you have them set, but surface grinders require attendance and handle cranking at all times. All depends on the quantity of the work. Lately, it's been a lot of fixture, die and tool making stuff, which seems to be my niche there. In general, I'm juggling 2-3 different jobs during the day.

8 AM - 12:30 PM: Work!

1 PM: I'll usually get word of finished goods that have to be marked. We mark most of our stuff with a laser that burns or engraves programmed text. For the most part, everything it's marked with the part number and the date code. So, depending on the priority, I will either do it then, so it's ready to be shipped out at 3 PM, or stuff it in the back of my mind for later. Basically, I just draft a simple program, adjust the lens according to the material type, adjust text size to match the space on the piece, and blast away. Like anything, there are little tricks that need to be learned, but it's normally a breeze. I'm told I am the first one who has never accidentally burned the wrong information for the entire year...

1:15 PM - Punch out time: Work!

I'll also fit in other tasks throughout the day depending on need. Sandblasting, operating EDMs (haven't done much EDM programming yet but learning), cutting/welding saw blades, welding finished goods, occasionally cutting stock when our stock handler is swamped. One of the things I love about the job is we all get cross trained in everything, so I end up doing something different every day. Most places, you just run one piece of equipment all day, which makes for a terribly momentous workday. It also means that my coworkers are far more capable and knowledgeable than most places I've worked. Most of them are tool/mold makers with decades of experience. I learn something new at least on a weekly basis, which is worth far more than a simple paycheck. We also handle some rather challenging stuff that most places simply can't touch, so the pay scales are quite a bit higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment