Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 01:19 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
That's just silly. Most jobs do not need a degree and most employers could get away with employees without degrees. Law, medical, engineering are exceptions to fields that need degrees. Long drawn out studies. I don't see how people with a degree are more valuable then someone without it. With the exceptions that i've given.
I never said that jobs require degrees. And you missed scientists. I said that individuals with degrees are often more valuable to an employer than individual without degrees.

Take a look at annual reports of companies like Microsoft, Johnson & Johnson, Munich RE or most research companies. Isn't it interesting that they report the number of PhD, MS/MA, BS/BA, uneducated employees every year? Why do you think that is? Because investors care. Look at the proposal for Mcneil's NSF research grant for diabetes medicine. Why do you think it mentions how many college graduates vs non-college graduates? It's because the NSF cares. The reality is that the statistics are important to third parties. As a result, employers seek out college graduates over the uneducated. It makes the college graduates more valuable to the employer. This is true whether or not a college degree is required for a specific job function.

Companies have PhDs wasting their talent just to meet numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 01:23 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,695,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Companies have PhDs wasting their talent just to meet numbers.
Now that is sad!

Scientists are .... there yep.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:29 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
Now that is sad!

Scientists are .... there yep.
Lol, yea... but that's their choice. My backup plan is to take that $300,000 salary to waste my talent.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:47 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magusat999 View Post
I'd like to know people's opinions on this. Does and should a person having a degree automatically qualify them for a higher wage? What about experience, skill, track record? I know we all want higher wages, and a degree is a good "excuse" - but is it really something an employer "owes" to that employee? If so - why? Why should they be paid anymore than anyone else, since they are all doing the job they were hired to do? How is someone with a degree doing anything of more importance than someone who is not, or is doing a job that doesn't require one, to the point that the employer should pay them more money? I'm not stating an opinion, just framing the question. What do you think?
Absolutely not. We all want better opportunities - and education is simply one of many ways to achieve that. Your employer is not obligated to pay more for your services simply because of your degree. But assuming you have the talent/skills they want (which is presumed to be a product of obtaining said degree), they may have to offer a higher compensation package or risk losing your services to a competitor.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:55 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
I'd like to know people's opinions on this. Does and should a person having a degree automatically qualify them for a higher wage? What about experience, skill, track record? I know we all want higher wages, and a degree is a good "excuse" - but is it really something an employer "owes" to that employee? If so - why? Why should they be paid anymore than anyone else, since they are all doing the job they were hired to do? How is someone with a degree doing anything of more importance than someone who is not, or is doing a job that doesn't require one, to the point that the employer should pay them more money? I'm not stating an opinion, just framing the question. What do you think?
Absolutely not.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:54 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
No, they don't owe you money for having a degree; they owe you money for doing your job.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:54 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
People should be paid for the job duties they perform, nothing more, nothing else. A waitress with a degree is worth no more than a waitress with a GED to the restaurant manager.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:02 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
Quote:
Is that meant to imply that a person cannot be "skilled" without a degree? Not asking in the sense of offense, just trying to clarify your statement.
Correct a tradesmen can also be skilled. A skilled worker is a worker that has aquired skills that are more rare than is found in the general labor force.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:21 AM

143 posts, read 378,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I think the college degree should get paid more merely for the fact that having the degree opens one up to student loans which without interest equals a low end entry-level pay on average. Add this to a rising cost of living (in most places,) it hurts the employee if they get a degree and don't get paid well enough to pay it off sooner. I do understand that this is a Pollyanna belief and it is not going to happen.
This makes no sense.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:26 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I think the college degree should get paid more merely for the fact that having the degree opens one up to student loans which without interest equals a low end entry-level pay on average. Add this to a rising cost of living (in most places,) it hurts the employee if they get a degree and don't get paid well enough to pay it off sooner. I do understand that this is a Pollyanna belief and it is not going to happen.
This is as crazy as the notion minimum wage should be linked to living wage. The free market sets rates beautifully. We need to leave it be. In all cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment