U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2013, 10:25 AM

4 posts, read 3,492 times

Advertisements

I'm a Green Card holder and I live in my native country. I'm an experienced software engineer and I have employment in my native country. I would like to relocate to the United States. I have sent a lot of applications to possibility employers in the US, but I haven't got any invitation to the job interview.

Is there now so bad economic situation, that they are not interesting foreign candidates? Would I have better chance, if I moved to the US at first, and then I would try to get a job? Then I would be unemployed in there and maybe this cuts down my chances to have employment.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 10:29 AM

9,689 posts, read 12,138,710 times
Many companies are hiring software engineers, if your skills are current. I would say that your chances are better, if you were a "local" candidate.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:58 PM

16,417 posts, read 26,334,180 times
Here's an idea: Get a job with a local company in the country you are currently living in that also has branch offices in the USA and then try for an LI transfer visa opportunity.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:08 PM

8,818 posts, read 13,903,221 times
I don't see anyone hiring an out-of-country applicant, it's just too much of a hassle, especially when there are plenty of qualified people in-country.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:55 PM

340 posts, read 716,820 times
If you "forget" your green card you will probably be hired on the spot

Old 05-01-2013, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Here's an idea: Get a job with a local company in the country you are currently living in that also has branch offices in the USA and then try for an LI transfer visa opportunity.
This is not an option. I don't need a visa, I'm legally authorized to work in the US. And also there is a lot of unemployment in country where I'm living, so I cannot choose a company.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerMatt View Post
If you "forget" your green card you will probably be hired on the spot
Do you mean that I have to live in the US, if I will be hired? Because, if I only forget my green card, they reject my application, when they see my foreign address.

Or do you mean that I have to have a citizenship in the US, if I will be hired on the spot?

Old 05-01-2013, 08:27 AM

1,101 posts, read 2,454,232 times
How long have you been outside of the US while having a green card? I hope you realize that you could be considered to have abandoned your green card after having been absent for over a year.

I'm not familiar with your industry but I can imagine that you would be towards the bottom of the list of applicants if you don't live in the country. Could you come to the US for a few months to apply for work? Maybe you could establish an address here and use that for job applications. Plenty of people have two residences, right?

Could you try to get another kind of job to hold you over until you find one you want?

Old 05-01-2013, 09:13 AM

8,818 posts, read 13,903,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elias400 View Post
Do you mean that I have to live in the US, if I will be hired? Because, if I only forget my green card, they reject my application, when they see my foreign address.

Or do you mean that I have to have a citizenship in the US, if I will be hired on the spot?

He was implying that if you did not have your green card you would be hired because you would be an illegal alien, and, again, implying that illegals are sought after in you line of work. In short, ignore the post.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:40 PM

16,417 posts, read 26,334,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elias400 View Post

No he is being sarcastic and means if you pretend to be an illegal alien (sneak into the country without any papers authorizing you to be here) and are desperate enough to work for next to nothing in terms of money and will live like an extremely impoverished peasant you are sure to get hired by some cheapskate employer. Unfortunately, that is true to some extent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment