Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 11:58 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times

Advertisements

People on here keep saying that it's really hard for the unemployed to find work. What is not being said is that it is also hard if you ARE employed and trying to find work. Doesn't seem to matter if you are or aren't, no one is calling!

I do have a job, it's a job I've had since two months after I moved here so with exception of those two months, have NO unemployment gaps since...2005.

It seems to come and go in waves. I was basically ignored for an entire year and then suddenly, four places wanted to hire me all at the same time. Well, I had to pick one.

But you keep looking. And...here we go again...no hiring. They post the jobs, but they don't hire? I know of one place that has had the jobs posted since the beginning of April. When I saw the ads I thought for sure they would be gone but I called to verify. Nope, they are still available. Ok, they aren't difficult jobs. Why isn't anyone being hired?

I have applied and applied and applied all over and that phone is NOT ringing. I've applied to minimum wage jobs, (because it isn't always about the money, it's about finding a place to work that may not be so bad if you actually like what you're doing, (animal jobs)), I've applied at places that totally correspond with the experience I have, I have applied at general labor jobs that are not minimum wage but aren't specialty jobs, either.

No. Fricken. Bites.

Everyone keeps saying, "There's jobs all over the place!"

WHERE?!?!!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 12:21 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
^^^
What's going on with the F/T state job you got at the end of last year?

Old 04-30-2013, 12:26 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,674,085 times
probably been posted on this board some time before, but...

With Positions to Fill, Employers Wait for Perfection

i've been looking for 6 months. lots of interviews, no offers. i do have one strike against me because i am looking long-distance. but still, i know i've been a close second, i have a really non-flighty reason for moving, i can move with 2 weeks notice, and in every single interview i've reiterated how committed i am to moving and how quickly i can move. but i've still never been chosen. it's not the hugest deal but it is frustrating and i'd like to get on with it, already!

Old 04-30-2013, 12:33 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I know of one place that has had the jobs posted since the beginning of April. When I saw the ads I thought for sure they would be gone but I called to verify. Nope, they are still available. Ok, they aren't difficult jobs. Why isn't anyone being hired?
This is easily explained, it takes time. Here for example, we may leave a position open 2-3 weeks, in some cases a full month and sometimes will extend it beyond the deadline if we don't get enough qualified applicants. We will not hire someone that does not meet the minimum, as a matter of policy. I have even interviewed 10 people and decided to open it again when none interviewed demonstrated their capability despite what was on their resumes. lately with so many people available companies are taking their time to get the best possible person who wants to be there and is likely to stay, because they can. It's not like the 90s when we had to offer higher pay and beat the bushes to find people because so few people were looking for jobs and employers had to compete for them.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
^^^
What's going on with the F/T state job you got at the end of last year?
IT SUCKS! I hate every single second of it.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
This is easily explained, it takes time. Here for example, we may leave a position open 2-3 weeks, in some cases a full month and sometimes will extend it beyond the deadline if we don't get enough qualified applicants. We will not hire someone that does not meet the minimum, as a matter of policy. I have even interviewed 10 people and decided to open it again when none interviewed demonstrated their capability despite what was on their resumes. lately with so many people available companies are taking their time to get the best possible person who wants to be there and is likely to stay, because they can. It's not like the 90s when we had to offer higher pay and beat the bushes to find people because so few people were looking for jobs and employers had to compete for them.
Uh, yah. The job I'm talking about is a min wage job that anyone can do. It's not that hard to find qualified applicants for it.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:58 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
IT SUCKS! I hate every single second of it.

Really sorry to hear that!

There's nothing more soul-sucking than reporting to work and spending hours at something you really hate! (Been there, done that, and I'm sure many of the posters on CD can relate.)

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 04-30-2013 at 02:19 PM..

Old 04-30-2013, 01:03 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
It's not like the 90s when we had to offer higher pay and beat the bushes to find people because so few people were looking for jobs and employers had to compete for them.
But companies are still competing for them. If what you are saying here is true, then my company wouldn't offer us nearly as many benefits as they do. I think they're just being extra picky these days. And it would make me think (and I ask this in interviews), if the position can go unfilled for several weeks or months, how essential is it? You might just lose your ideal candidate if they are doing their due diligence and asking the right questions.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:26 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,603,208 times
Quote:

Everyone keeps saying, "There's jobs all over the place!"

WHERE?!?!!?
seattle all jobs classifieds "CNC " - craigslist

Just a quick search for "CNC" shows a lot of machinist and programmer positions... My career field is pretty strong around here due to Boeing.

It definitely depends on your field and where you are. I didn't have any problems switching jobs in December and get at least 2-3 contacts every week in response to my resume that is online.

It wasn't like this in Jacksonville and I doubt Cleveland is any better.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:33 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,771,834 times
I empathize and can relate. The employers can be extremely picky and selective right now. Frustrating, I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment