Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2013, 04:39 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,668,610 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at interviewing for a company, listed as started over 10 years ago. They raised between 50-70 million in venture capital. They raised 20 million as soon a 2010. They are still borrowing money as well. Talked about how they got a line of credit of a couple million dollars this year.

Is this considered a "startup". I'm not sure when I consider this company if I should consider it an inherently unstable situation like many startups are, or if I should consider it on the same level as other smaller companies. I really have little knowledge of working with startups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 08:03 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,458,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
I'm looking at interviewing for a company, listed as started over 10 years ago. They raised between 50-70 million in venture capital. They raised 20 million as soon a 2010. They are still borrowing money as well. Talked about how they got a line of credit of a couple million dollars this year.

Is this considered a "startup". I'm not sure when I consider this company if I should consider it an inherently unstable situation like many startups are, or if I should consider it on the same level as other smaller companies. I really have little knowledge of working with startups.
Definitions are just words and don't matter much in such cases. The bottom line is that they are still struggling. Does it make a difference?

Old 05-01-2013, 08:33 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,124,133 times
How mature is their product or the segment they play in? Have they changed their business strategy/product midstream?

Old 05-01-2013, 09:44 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,132,345 times
Yes it's a startup. Is it unstable? The fact that they keep getting VC funding says a lot about the company.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:25 PM

23,525 posts, read 24,006,421 times
Usually, a technology start-up won't last 10 years, and keep receiving venture capital funds. The technology will likely be outdated by that time and something new will have taken it's place.

I have worked in 2 start-ups and they are very unstable. Usually, the founder/co-founders have gotten themselves into a situation which is "over their heads", unless they have hired a professional management team.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Usually, a technology start-up won't last 10 years, and keep receiving venture capital funds. The technology will likely be outdated by that time and something new will have taken it's place.

I have worked in 2 start-ups and they are very unstable. Usually, the founder/co-founders have gotten themselves into a situation which is "over their heads", unless they have hired a professional management team.
It is a medical product to treat(prevent) disease so not really a problem of the tech going out of date.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
How mature is their product or the segment they play in? Have they changed their business strategy/product midstream?
Their product seems mature, they seem to have sold quite a few them. Doesn't appear much change. They did have to go through lots of clinical trials and stuff for the FDA. But I am curious why they still need to raise money after so long.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:01 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,074,570 times
Medical technology companies..or anything medical for that matter, take a LONG time to incubate.

After the initial product development, there is testing....revisions....trials...revisions....and finally, if they are lucky, the FDA stamp of approval--either full, or partial.

All of that takes a HUGE amount of money, and time--which unto itself, costs money. Ten years is not unrealistic for this sort of venture (mind you, we have only the most rudimentory details to go on here).

So, what do you do?

Go have a conversation. Why not? Read. Ask. Get copies of everything you can lay your hands on. Ask, and receive, copies of their financials. Look around. Your eyes will tell you if the place has hope...or if it is a fraud/scam/disaster.

High growth/ start-ups can be a wonderful environment in which to work. Different, for sure, but with the right group of people, the right product ideas, and the right money bankrolling them (go have a chat with their VC partners) you can really soar.

Good luck. Let us know what you discover.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:48 AM

23,525 posts, read 24,006,421 times
Thanks for clarifying.

Quote:
It is a medical product to treat(prevent) disease so not really a problem of the tech going out of date.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:31 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,458,155 times
Quote:
Their product seems mature, they seem to have sold quite a few them. Doesn't appear much change. They did have to go through lots of clinical trials and stuff for the FDA. But I am curious why they still need to raise money after so long.
As someone who spent years with 2 medical startups, I can tell you that they are still struggling and their future anything but clear. This market is very difficult (not another android phone). At one point the investors can pull the plug if they don't see it really taking off. One hope of such companies is to be acquired by a major player in the medical field (Philips, Siemens, Toshiba, GE). Those have the marketing might and field presence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment