Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 01:32 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,786,210 times

Advertisements

I wish I had your parents. It's never too late to flip burgers if you feel you're missing something. Go ahead, get it out of your system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 06:51 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,668,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
When you have had to work crappy jobs, it give you some perspective about life, how the real world works and how the working class survives.
agreed. it sounds like things worked out for the OP professionally in this case, so their parents' policy may have had no effect on their success, but if things had been just a little different, they might have benefited from having the experience on their resume as a new grad.

and i do sort of think everyone should work a service job, just so they understand what servers/clerks/cashiers/whatever are going through and have empathy for them as customers later on. this is also something that you can develop on your own, but being in the person serving you lunch's place is a great way to learn.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:36 AM

686 posts, read 1,767,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Well, if you needed those starter jobs to develop strength of character and work ethics then, yes, you missed out. If your parents have already these great traits instilled in you then, no, you're lucky.
+1.

Now that you are doing well, and hopefully your parents feel secure about your education, you can still go out and try some of these jobs. In the process, you might even be able to get a first-hand knowledge of some of the application domains for "information analytics" and "research and analysis products" you are currently interested in.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:40 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,736,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
I'd say you lucked out!
Agreed.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:50 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,955,874 times
I agree that you didn't miss out on anything.

I'm an only child. My parents didn't want me to work while I was in high school & I didn't want to mysef because they felt that I have the whole rest of my life to work as it is & they wanted me to concentrate on my studies & the piano lessons I had been taking since I was 7. They were definitely willing to buy me anything I needed. I got my fist job the summer I graduated from high school & I've had jobs ever since.

I turned out good...working on my 2nd Masters degree right now. I know the value of hard work & have definitely appreciated what my parents have done for me my whole life.

As long as you're not some spoiled brat who thinks everyone should cater to you, then I don't see a reason for ANY kid to work while they're still in high school. Let a kid be a kid for his/her last years. He/she will be working soon enough for a LONG time to come!

Old 05-05-2013, 09:11 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,271,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I agree that you didn't miss out on anything.

I'm an only child. My parents didn't want me to work while I was in high school & I didn't want to mysef because they felt that I have the whole rest of my life to work as it is & they wanted me to concentrate on my studies & the piano lessons I had been taking since I was 7. They were definitely willing to buy me anything I needed. I got my fist job the summer I graduated from high school & I've had jobs ever since.

I turned out good...working on my 2nd Masters degree right now. I know the value of hard work & have definitely appreciated what my parents have done for me my whole life.

As long as you're not some spoiled brat who thinks everyone should cater to you, then I don't see a reason for ANY kid to work while they're still in high school. Let a kid be a kid for his/her last years. He/she will be working soon enough for a LONG time to come!
Unfortunately not every parents are rich. If I didn't work in highschool I would have been the residential nerd that stayed at home and didn't even have a car. I had to work just o have a life. Glad I did too.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:13 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,736,506 times
The nice part about working and earning your own too is that you never have to kiss anyone's ass (including your parents') to get something. It's a matter of pride too.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:36 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,169,294 times
Missing out on low-skilled jobs like manual labor, retail, or burger flipping wouldn't have helped your future as much as the graduate degree you're getting. The person who said your degree would only get you low-paying entry-level jobs anyway isn't familiar with your field. Information analytics is a difficult, specialized field with good job prospects; it's not like getting an MA in creative writing. I worked many hours a week my first two years of college while taking a full load of science courses, and I would have been very happy to just be able to get a decent night's sleep and not have to start homework after getting off work at 9 p.m. So I think you are fortunate to have been able to focus solely on school.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:52 AM

4,550 posts, read 11,693,803 times
Oh gosh I never worked either and it was far better ti be attending horse shows as a family.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:06 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,955,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
Unfortunately not every parents are rich. If I didn't work in highschool I would have been the residential nerd that stayed at home and didn't even have a car. I had to work just o have a life. Glad I did too.
That's great. My parents weren't rich though. They just managed their money well, saved, & sacrificed. Plus, since I was their only child, they didn't have all these mouths to feed. (A couple shouldn't have any more kids than they can afford...from birth to college.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment