Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2013, 10:09 PM

805 posts, read 1,558,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
I wonder if there was some age discrimination there . . .
Good question. Ugh, it's so sad, I just feel sick for people who are looking with no luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 10:28 PM

503 posts, read 1,171,859 times
Joining the military is a horrible idea to many people. I've had a few people try that one on me. They don't understand telling me to enlist is like telling somebody from PETA to become a hunter/taxidermist.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:44 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysflyin View Post
Is relocation an option? I live in Houston and there are help wanted signs everywhere. I'm guessing not or you would have already done so, but just throwing that out there.
Honestly I hate heat and humidity, but if I thought I had better than 50 % of getting a good paying high tech sales job I would go for it. But you are talking about a relocation cost of the low side of 4k so that's a real gamble.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:59 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,961,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Honestly I hate heat and humidity, but if I thought I had better than 50 % of getting a good paying high tech sales job I would go for it. But you are talking about a relocation cost of the low side of 4k so that's a real gamble.
4K-why? Are you planning on hiring a moving company?

Old 06-15-2013, 11:01 PM

30 posts, read 33,757 times
Luckodeirish, I'm sorry to hear about your friend, but sadly I can relate. I've also applied for jobs half my pay. Thank your for telling your friend's story and for your compassion.

Ageism is real. I'm in my 40s, but it's worse for those 50+. I applied for an entry-level position with a temp service that I was qualified for, and when I asked the recruiter why I wouldn't be considered for it, she said, "That job is entry-level, they want someone energetic and young." Yes, she said the word "young" which is illegal. Without a tape recording, it's one word vs another. Companies get away with ageism all the time.

To the person going in the military, good luck.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:03 PM

503 posts, read 1,171,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthepack View Post
Luckodeirish, I'm sorry to hear about your friend, but sadly I can relate. I've also applied for jobs half my pay. Thank your for telling your friend's story and for your compassion.

Ageism is real. I'm in my 40s, but it's worse for those 50+. I applied for an entry-level position with a temp service that I was qualified for, and when I asked the recruiter why I wouldn't be considered for it, she said, "That job is entry-level, they want someone energetic and young." Yes, she said the word "young" which is illegal. Without a tape recording, it's one word vs another. Companies get away with ageism all the time.

I've been hitting the record button on my phone's audio recorder in my pocket before walking into stores for interviews now, ever since I was denied a promotion because I wasn't a woman.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:08 PM

805 posts, read 1,558,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthepack View Post

I'm sorry this happened to you.
Sending good thoughts your way.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
well we usually live back with our parents or plan our suicides like a play on broadway
I hope you are kidding about suicide. Good luck if you're still out of work finding a job.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkInTheRoad View Post
I've been hitting the record button on my phone's audio recorder in my pocket before walking into stores for interviews now, ever since I was denied a promotion because I wasn't a woman.
What a sad testament to our society that you have to do that. I understand why, but sad.

Luckodeirish, thank you.

Everyone please remember the millions of people like me who are the forgotten and overlooked long-term unemployed.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:43 AM

329 posts, read 460,256 times
again don't be suck by these sucker... you worth more than a job . I know guys with no job since 3 years and they moved to Asia and have a comfortable life for less 600$ a month.

you can even do some business on your own, teaching English, Web mastering,...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment