Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 09:06 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthepack View Post
I pray that something will come for you so it doesn't come to that.
hey maybe god will listen to you because he isn't listening to me.. thanks for your prayers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 09:32 AM

827 posts, read 1,089,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_the_facts View Post
Irrelevant question as this is the work and employment forum and not the politics forum.
No it's not. People complain about politicians that more than likely, they voted for the status quo.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:50 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_the_facts View Post
Well, I fundamentally disagree with you about a labor shortage. When you adjust for a declining labor force participation rate (which has declined by about 2.5 points in the last 4 years), unemployment is nearly 10%. How did we fill positions when unemployment was under 4% for much of the Clinton years?

And, you would not need to pay people $12 an hour (which is barley a living wage in most jurisdictions, btw) to hire a dishwasher. There are plenty of unemployed low skill (and even some medium and high skill) workers who would be wiling to work as dishwasher. Look at how high youth unemployment is right now. It's astronomical in some places and especially among African Americans.

And, yes, all workers should pay a living wage, otherwise those workers must in effect be subsidized by taxpayers via the Earned Income Tax Credit, SNAP, Medicaid, HEAP, uncompensated health care costs, and more. Walmart is the biggest welfare recipient on earth as so many of their employees receive government benefits because they refuse to provide affordable health insurance and pay a living wage. Without those benefits, Walmart would have to raise wages (which would cut into their profit margin), and if they didn't do that, people would refuse to work for them.

Also, if employers cannot afford to pay a living wage, then they should mechanize more of production, something which is not happening in agriculture as the picking of fruit is currently done by hand and not by a machine.

To the extent we have a shortage of doctors, it is because medical school do not admit enough doctors and they do not admit them in large part because of arbitrary interviewing processes that screen out many qualified applicants. There is no shortage of scientists and there are many in the science field who cannot find jobs in their field. Guestworkers in the high-skill U.S. labor market: An analysis of supply, employment, and wage trends | Economic Policy Institute In fact, only 22% of science and math graduates (excluding computer science) are able to find jobs in their field. And, even if there was a shortage, employers should respond by raising wages, something which is not happening.

I suppose employers will continue to complain about a labor shortage all while continuing to discriminate against the unemployed, screen out those from out of the geographical area, conduct credit checks, ask silly interview questions, require personality tests, analyze an applicant's handwriting, throw out 2 pages resumes and cover letters, and utilize other arbitrary selection methods (which the hr and hiring managers on this forum admit to using).

Employers love illegal immigrants and visa workers because these are vulnerable employees who are easy to exploit and underpay because they do not possess the legal rights of American workers (visa workers are deported if they lose their job, so employers know they can be very demanding of those workers without having to worry about them quitting).

I do agree with you about the letter, however.
^^^Post of the year.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:54 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapcharly View Post
all these problems come from the world saturation.

world can not give us more than that we consume.

it's called the lavoisier law... u know? , nothing create, nothing disappear. . whatever...

guys, it s finished, it s over. the only way to survive is to kill everyone who is over 30yo. like In the crystal age movie... for guys over 40 they know what I m taking about. but of course, no need of that. not now...

we want a good economy to come back, how? cutting more wood in amazon forest to build more houses , killing more fishes to feed all of us, release more toxic for tablets pc, gadgets,... , sending more jobs to China,... to produce more and more and more and more...

we aim our society, (should i say world?) to fail since 1900.. why crisis of 1914, 1929,1939,1985,1990,2001 were not the same, why we recovered after 2 or 4 years? , why we won't recovered this time, because this crisis is the crisis of our planet earth.

earth is tired, earth is dying, earth will NOT save us.... it s finished. we have to change, live differently...

don't you see it?

Somewhere in that goobledy glop, you do make a good point.

Overpopulation is definitely going to become an issue as we move forward. So much of what we do has never been automated at the pace it's being automated now. That in effect diminishes the need for human labor. That also, in effect, limits the distribution of the world's wealth and forces it to remain in the hands of only a few people.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:48 PM

805 posts, read 1,161,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
^^^Post of the year.
Thanks!

Old 06-22-2013, 03:57 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,122 times
They move in with family or live under a bridge when their unemployment checks run out.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:39 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
They move in with family or live under a bridge when their unemployment checks run out.
2 others become a criminal or commit suicide.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:49 PM

382 posts, read 664,320 times
It's a ashamed it leads down to that but what else can a person do? What get a job? Oh wait they tried, so eh what's next??? I suppose volunteer.

It's a ashamed unless you are the boss's offspring or someone who is extroverted with 10 million friends, finding a job is next to impossible. I am starting to wonder if it is just a myth.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:43 PM

827 posts, read 1,089,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merchant_ZZZ View Post
It's a ashamed it leads down to that but what else can a person do? What get a job? Oh wait they tried, so eh what's next??? I suppose volunteer.

It's a ashamed unless you are the boss's offspring or someone who is extroverted with 10 million friends, finding a job is next to impossible. I am starting to wonder if it is just a myth.
Really?

Old 06-22-2013, 08:11 PM

503 posts, read 1,172,326 times
I've gotta' say almost every job I've had was from "a buddy hookin' me up." Actually, scratch that, every single job I've ever had was because I had internal ties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment