Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2013, 07:58 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,023,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
I still don't understand how people can go on ranting about how there's plenty of jobs out there like saying "go work here, go mop floors, go stack shelves at this place". They don't mention a single word about how difficult it is to get hired. I'm assuming they think you can just walk in there and start working....hire yourself? I'm SORRY but it doesn't work that way. I don't know what planet you're on but it's not earth.
I have one of these loons in my department at work, and there are plenty of others like him there, too.

In his mind, all the unemployed are "lazy" because they should just be "stocking shelves" or "mopping floors" since I guess he thinks you can just walk into a place and get a job automatically by showing up. This clown has no understanding of the current situation and hasn't had to look for work for at least 10 years - he celebrated his 10 year anniversary with the company a few months back, so that's not just a guess. Maybe back in his day, such things were possible. I know I got my first job as a teenager at a hardware store with a phone call and barely an interview - this was the early to mid 1990's. It was just a part-time position, but that was all that was involved. Now days, I'd probably need to pass a personality test and have 3 interviews before I'd have any hope of getting the job, which is absurd - and it's only worse with full-time, career-level positions.

These types of people live in a narrow world of "the good old days" and whatever they hear on their favorite radio programs that are also run by out-of-touch personalities who spew venom at all the wrong people. There are nowhere near enough jobs for the people who need them in this nation, and the obstacles put up to prevent employment are practically criminal - heck, "no unemployed need apply" skates on the edge of criminal, and it certainly is an evil and disgusting practice. Unfortunately, this country is full of people who are badly out of touch with reality and have no understanding of the labor market past that first job they got decades ago. Since that was easy to get, clearly nothing has changed since then, so there must be something wrong with all the unemployed people. If any of them bothered to gain some education on the facts, we wouldn't have these problems today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 08:42 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,749,056 times
I had a coworker about 3 years ago that said there's no such thing as the recession. That its all in the minds of people that want to lounge around all day collecting unemployment benefits. I told him that there, indeed, was a recession. Its hard to find work now days. He claimed that there was the same amount of open job positions today as thee was 6 or 7 years ago. Well, now he's unemployed. He's having a tough time finding a job in anything other than minimum wage. He since stopped talking to me because he knows he was wrong. Its pretty amazing what employers make applicants go through these days to get a job. What once was one interview and a minor background check and drug screening turned into a thorough criminal background check, polygraph test, drug test, psychological screening, 3 interviews with a panel, full availability on your schedule, and 1000 people in line for that one job that pays a buck above min. wage.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:49 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,923,988 times
The main challenge for a unemployed person is that employers don't need to look on the outside to fill positions. That is why it's such a scary thing when you lose your job.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:36 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,629,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
I had a coworker about 3 years ago that said there's no such thing as the recession. That its all in the minds of people that want to lounge around all day collecting unemployment benefits. I told him that there, indeed, was a recession. Its hard to find work now days. He claimed that there was the same amount of open job positions today as thee was 6 or 7 years ago. Well, now he's unemployed. He's having a tough time finding a job in anything other than minimum wage. He since stopped talking to me because he knows he was wrong. Its pretty amazing what employers make applicants go through these days to get a job. What once was one interview and a minor background check and drug screening turned into a thorough criminal background check, polygraph test, drug test, psychological screening, 3 interviews with a panel, full availability on your schedule, and 1000 people in line for that one job that pays a buck above min. wage.

I know a number of people like that too. They gloated and painted the unemployed with the same brush, and now they happen to be unemployed themselves. Several are still looking for work and wondering why they are having such a hard time.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:53 PM

30,233 posts, read 23,670,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
I have one of these loons in my department at work, and there are plenty of others like him there, too.

In his mind, all the unemployed are "lazy" because they should just be "stocking shelves" or "mopping floors" since I guess he thinks you can just walk into a place and get a job automatically by showing up. This clown has no understanding of the current situation and hasn't had to look for work for at least 10 years - he celebrated his 10 year anniversary with the company a few months back, so that's not just a guess. Maybe back in his day, such things were possible. I know I got my first job as a teenager at a hardware store with a phone call and barely an interview - this was the early to mid 1990's. It was just a part-time position, but that was all that was involved. Now days, I'd probably need to pass a personality test and have 3 interviews before I'd have any hope of getting the job, which is absurd - and it's only worse with full-time, career-level positions.

These types of people live in a narrow world of "the good old days" and whatever they hear on their favorite radio programs that are also run by out-of-touch personalities who spew venom at all the wrong people. There are nowhere near enough jobs for the people who need them in this nation, and the obstacles put up to prevent employment are practically criminal - heck, "no unemployed need apply" skates on the edge of criminal, and it certainly is an evil and disgusting practice. Unfortunately, this country is full of people who are badly out of touch with reality and have no understanding of the labor market past that first job they got decades ago. Since that was easy to get, clearly nothing has changed since then, so there must be something wrong with all the unemployed people. If any of them bothered to gain some education on the facts, we wouldn't have these problems today.
I have a friend like this. She cannot understand why I have been unable to find a different job. I tell her of all the places I have applied. "Well did you do this? Did you go here? Did you go in and talk to them?"

Go in and talk to them? LOL! Even in this day, I actually HAVE tried that and do you know what you get every single time? "To apply for this job, go to our website..."

Yah. So I become just another number. IF the software deems I'm worthy enough of being recognized and not immediately trashed, that is.

She believes it is like it was when she was working, (she doesn't work, she stays home now), and that you can just waltz on in to a place and get hired.

Here's another one I am learning to love, (sarcasm): Job is posted asking for a certain set of skills. I apply. I get a call. Call goes well. It's not an interview, it's a "pre-screen" call. Halfway through the call they reveal that they are thinking that they are going to go for this other set of skills instead. Don't jump to conclusions, I was told that I remind them of the person who is leaving, (in this case that's actually a good thing, the person was a great worker for them but due to health, cannot stay), and that things I've been saying were things they liked about this person leaving. But now they've changed their mind...or maybe not. They haven't yet decided. They may go for the original requested skills, the skills I have, or they may decide they want to go with another set of skills...even though the other set of skills are way over what they actually need. (This they admitted.) WTF! You just change your mind halfway through the hiring process? Who the hell can win a job that way?

But yes, if someone was able to find a job, "easily", then CLEARLY that's the norm, not what the millions of other Americans are going through. I implore people to get on the ol' YouTube, type in unemployed and homeless and watch video after video after video of people who were PROFESSIONALS finding themselves unemployed, homeless and NO relief in site. All of them are obviously very lazy and unskilled.

Old 05-11-2013, 03:26 PM
FBJ

I think it depends on your background and who you know. I was laid off with another woman in 2011 and she was able to find a job in a month or so as a college professor because that's what she had that background and a MBA. It took me a lot longer because my background wasn't the same.

Old 05-11-2013, 03:52 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,406,925 times
The application is put in queue and "available" for viewing.

Old 05-11-2013, 04:31 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,841,420 times
I just love watching a disconnect between those who have jobs and those that don't. If we really wanted a just cause fallacy, shouldn't those with jobs be the ones out of it based on what they say about those who do not have one?

Old 05-11-2013, 07:19 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,392,695 times
I know what you mean. I always thought companies were motivated by money and efficiency and that companies would seek and hire the most qualified. Instead we have badly designed ATS software, cerebrally challenged HR people, and shallow managers hiring drinking buddies. I've lost a lot of faith in American corporations and whenever I hear them complain about labor I have absolutely no sympathy.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:21 PM
FBJ

I remember seeing a article asking........"Is your resume ATS ready?" LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment