Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 05:30 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,426,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Once you have an offer from the other employer you can discuss their needs. It may be that they want you to start ASAP and because your current position is part time assume you are not critical to your current employer's operations, in which case you advise your current employer that you are resigning effective ___. Keep in mind that your current employer may terminate you immediately but pay you through your termination date. Think back to see if you can anticipate their reaction. Heck, if you give a week's notice it is possible to be suspended with pay.

Frankly, quitting immediately leaves a bad taste and may give the new employer second thoughts. Will s/he quit like that on me too, can I trust him/her with important assignments.

Before you leave gather the names and contact information of co-workers who you may want to use for a reference in the future.
I have already gathered the names of references,have been searching on and off for awhile but no prospects. At this point I'd even be prepared to walk even if I didn't have an offer,and I had just thought of that as an excuse for a quick exit. I don't believe my position is that critical to operations,there is plenty of backup. There will just be shorter gaps of nonactivity for them at that point,which is one thing that kind of bothered me along the way anyway...too many idle hands/mouths.

I'm not concerned that they would pay me to the end of the week,but that they may actually penalize somehow for short notice. I do also have some accumulated sick/vacation hours I may be able to work into things also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
the only real reason to give notice, besides a genuine concern about your employer having a smooth transition, is if you want a reference or if you don't want to **** them off. just keep in mind, maybe you have no plans to return to this company, but you might run into someone from it down the line and you might regret burning that bridge.

are you planning on quitting without another job lined up, though? if you are, you will definitely have to explain why you did it. notice probably won't come up, but quitting will.

if you are going to have a job lined up, don't tell them you can quit your current one without notice. very, very few employers will be psyched about being able to get you sooner and most will wonder if you are going to do the same thing to them.

if all you are worried about is them "turning up the heat" during your notice period, surely you can deal with it for 2 weeks before you're gone?
They're a pretty p***ed off place to begin with so I'm not concerned about that,if anything maybe the anger will backfire on them and hopefully there will be dissention among those clowns. Kind of like what happened on my job previous to that,apparently my ultimate job is to expose clowns lol I should actually be a consultant showing companies how to get rid of dead weight

Old 05-06-2013, 09:29 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
As a business owner, we can get pretty upset and hateful when an employee just ups and leaves with little or no notice. Nothing riles us as when the investment, dedication, responsibility, trust and support we provide an employee doesn’t even rate a respectful 2 week notice!

However, if your work place is such that a quality and skilled supervisor has not recognized the dysfunctional level of the work environment, and has not taken step to improve it, WALK! Walk without regard to their needs because I can say this with 100% confidence, they wouldn’t give you that same 2 week notice if they were getting rid of you. As they have the right to terminate your employment with them at will, you have that same right.

Any employer who is so unprofessional to withhold a deserved reference to an ex-employee over a two week notice, well that just reaffirms you may have made the right choice to leave fast.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:28 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,390,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
I'm contemplating leaving current job and not giving any notice...there's been alot of tension lately and I feel if I give notice they'll just turn up the heat on me and try to make things worse than they've been.

It's only a part time job,but I've had it for over a year. And I am aware of any possible backlash like looking bad on future apps etc.

Anything I've forgotten?
Your managers. Know how you are looking to leave because you hate the job? Others may be as well. Leaving without notice burns a bridge. If you run into anyone in the future who knows you did this, you could have issue. I once worked for a company that was opening a new store location...an employee I had years before applied. This person did not give notice when we worked together at the previous company (and I was not even her manager) and you better believe this sank her chances.

You also never know who the next hiring manager are friends with...be VERY careful.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:22 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
i think thebunny has hit on the only thing that matters in this situation. if your employer is treating you like crap, if you don't care how your leaving without notice will affect your managers or coworkers, and you know they won't speak well of you anyway, there's no reason to give notice except the possibility of running into someone you worked with or for, or one of their friends, down the line when you are looking for a job.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Your managers. Know how you are looking to leave because you hate the job? Others may be as well. Leaving without notice burns a bridge. If you run into anyone in the future who knows you did this, you could have issue. I once worked for a company that was opening a new store location...an employee I had years before applied. This person did not give notice when we worked together at the previous company (and I was not even her manager) and you better believe this sank her chances.

You also never know who the next hiring manager are friends with...be VERY careful.
I've had many a bridge burnt in the past,mostly without intention...so this is nothing by comparison. It's not a chain or anything,so there's no chance of running into them again,and the managers I work with are nearing their way out anyway so them not caring transfers that attitude onto the employees also.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i think thebunny has hit on the only thing that matters in this situation. if your employer is treating you like crap, if you don't care how your leaving without notice will affect your managers or coworkers, and you know they won't speak well of you anyway, there's no reason to give notice except the possibility of running into someone you worked with or for, or one of their friends, down the line when you are looking for a job.
In my 20+ years of working I've yet to cross paths with someone I've worked with or have heard of me before,lucky maybe,but I also work in different areas/industries at times which pretty much reduces those chances;

Old 05-07-2013, 08:26 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,436,826 times
"Burning bridges" is a scare tactic used by employers to encourage you to give them more notice than they'd ever dream of giving you if they wanted to get rid of you.

I've always given two weeks notice, in some cases more, just because I've typically liked my past employers. However, if I were in a crappy situation and just needed to get out for my own sanity, I wouldn't hesitate to quit on the spot. There are hundreds of thousands of employers in this country. The chances of you ever running into some former manager or not being able to get a reference is absurd. Unless of course you live in some small, tight nit community in the back woods somewhere, then it might be different.

Whenever I need a reference, I use my co-workers or other associates I've worked with and it has worked like a charm. Three years after leaving my last job, I've just now asked my former manager if I could use him as a reference. Prior to that, I've just used past co-workers and associates and it's been fine. I don't even think I'd use my current manager as a reference because I think she's awful and wouldn't be able to properly evaluate me anyway. Also, if I were to give my current employer notice that I'm taking another job, I suspect that they would let me go that day because that is how vindictive and ungrateful they typically act.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:41 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
In my 20+ years of working I've yet to cross paths with someone I've worked with or have heard of me before,lucky maybe,but I also work in different areas/industries at times which pretty much reduces those chances;
i don't think it's likely that it will happen unless you work in a very small and/or tight knit field and you intend to stay in that field (which you obviously don't). but it's the only real negative consequence that is possible in your situation. i'd say go for it and quit however you want.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
"Burning bridges" is a scare tactic used by employers to encourage you to give them more notice than they'd ever dream of giving you if they wanted to get rid of you.

I've always given two weeks notice, in some cases more, just because I've typically liked my past employers. However, if I were in a crappy situation and just needed to get out for my own sanity, I wouldn't hesitate to quit on the spot. There are hundreds of thousands of employers in this country. The chances of you ever running into some former manager or not being able to get a reference is absurd. Unless of course you live in some small, tight nit community in the back woods somewhere, then it might be different.

Whenever I need a reference, I use my co-workers or other associates I've worked with and it has worked like a charm. Three years after leaving my last job, I've just now asked my former manager if I could use him as a reference. Prior to that, I've just used past co-workers and associates and it's been fine. I don't even think I'd use my current manager as a reference because I think she's awful and wouldn't be able to properly evaluate me anyway. Also, if I were to give my current employer notice that I'm taking another job, I suspect that they would let me go that day because that is how vindictive and ungrateful they typically act.
One concern I have is that applications often ask for the name of your manager...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment