Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 10:45 AM

119 posts, read 410,318 times

Advertisements

I can sort of understand the OP. But remember, she knows more to the story than you probably ever will. There could be all sorts of issues going on that she doesn't want to discuss (ie, sexual harassment). Stress from being in a toxic place can be just as mentally devastating as unemployment. I have friends who have gotten long-term physically ill from staying in toxic places because at least it was a paycheck. Yes, it is a paycheck, but is it worth your peace of mind and health?

I personally would've stayed with them a bit longer, and be very careful with the constructive discharge they had going on, by documenting what was really happening as it was happening, so that I'd at least get UI benefits to carry me through. By quitting, she makes it harder, especially since they have the write-ups.

Just like when someone marries someone you may not like and you'd rather them do that, do respect their decisions. It may seem naive and undereducated of her to quit like that, but again, you don't really know all that she does.

Definitely good luck to her, and I hope you can come to terms and respect her decision... even if it ends up being the wrong one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 10:50 AM

119 posts, read 410,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
When you quit, you don't get unemployment. If you are fired (unless it is for gross misconduct), you get unemployment checks for a year or so.
Not always right. You can quit for just cause and still be eligible for benefits, especially if there was a direct change in your work responsibilities, which could've been since they changed management. I could definitely make a case for constructive discharge, which sounds like something they were trying to do, by forcing her to quit or preparing the paperwork to fake a legitimate discharge based on performance/write ups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
You can always lie on the application and in interviews to cover up the fact that you were fired. Most employers really don't check up on candidates that hard after the interview.
Again, not always correct. Three main questions asked from a reference check employment verification are "is the person active?", if not, "dates of employment and title", "quit or discharged?". Lying on your application CAN be enough of a reason to get you separated later on.

Also, lying on the UI application can also get you denied or they may impose a sanction of 6-13 weeks where you can't collect, or until you make X amount of wages to re-qualify. Don't lie.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:35 PM

429 posts, read 954,200 times
Went through this myself a while back and listened for too long to people who told me to hang in there until I found something else. I was actually physically ill from the stress so I gave two weeks and when I was finished working my notice out, immediately sat out on finding something new. It worked out for me but it was terrifying. Still, I would do it again in a heartbeat if I were in the same circumstance, which I never will be again. I will not ever allow myself to be totally controlled that way. Never.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:19 PM

4,221 posts, read 4,741,886 times
deleted

Old 05-23-2013, 01:25 PM

149 posts, read 206,739 times
Update:

She got a new job that starts in 2 weeks. She got the offer 2 days before her last day at the current job she had quit.

It's a sales position...she said 30k base, and a guaranteed 30k the first 2 months. I need to ask her about the company cuz I could use that kinda pay myself!!! 30k guaranteed the first 2 months??? I'd take that!

Old 05-24-2013, 04:02 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,923,936 times
How much was she making in her old job as a leasing agent? What city is this?

Old 05-28-2013, 11:51 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,098,599 times
Glad she got a job. Hope everything is on the up and up.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:54 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,098,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCelestina View Post
Not always right. You can quit for just cause and still be eligible for benefits, especially if there was a direct change in your work responsibilities, which could've been since they changed management. I could definitely make a case for constructive discharge, which sounds like something they were trying to do, by forcing her to quit or preparing the paperwork to fake a legitimate discharge based on performance/write ups.
Technically correct, but statistically insignificant. The vast majority of quits will not be eligible for benefits, even if the manager was abusive. The vast majority of "firings" will be ruled in favor of the employee so long as they are willing to appeal the first level decision. The "burden of proof" dramatically outweighs what most people can bring to the hearing. Therefore, the default ruling in a quit is in favor of the employer and the default in a fire is to rule in favor of the employee.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:33 PM

149 posts, read 206,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timing2012 View Post
How much was she making in her old job as a leasing agent? What city is this?
Around 45k?

Atlanta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment