Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 02:54 PM

424 posts, read 973,573 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering about how to deal with a ridiculous situation.

Having $0 in the bank for one day, tomorrow, (thank go Wed is payday) and having my transit pass run out. Even though this a temp financial sitatuon I can't afford to even commute to my low paying job (as in $1400 per month) tomorrow. The company, it seems, cannot afford to pay employees more so I'm job hunting fevorishly for a higher paying position but I can't afford to quit and yet I can't afford to stay either. Very tricky situation.

Should I bring this up to my boss? I've been worrying about how to bring it up all day. How should I phrase it if so? He's aware people are struggling but I don't want to seem irresponsible with the income I'm getting if I reveal I can't come in tomorrow since I can't afford to even get there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 03:11 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,233,552 times
Getting to and from work are usually cheap budget items and understood as basic job requirements, unless you have your boss' blessing to work remotely (I would work remotely only if you have done it before). If you really cannot scrape together enough for bus fare, I would recommend asking a co-worker nicely to loan you $10 or $20. Tell him it's for meeting someone after work, but save it to use for your commuting costs tomorrow.

I think I've posted this in another thread by the OP -- you've really got to build up an emergency fund. And it needs to be way more than bus fare. Start with 1 months' expenses, and expand until you get to 1 year's expenses.

Then and only then start to pay off debts and fund a basic retirement account.

Then and only then start to invest.

Then you can have some fun money.

The first five years are tough (I budgeted in a ledger book every month during the first job out of college, and often had to reconcile my budget once per week depending on what I spent over the weekend.) I was paid circa $1400 at that time, once per month and on the last day of the month. There were some nights with a single baked potato and a can of beer for dinner, especially toward the end of the month.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:43 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
Getting to and from work are usually cheap budget items and understood as basic job requirements, unless you have your boss' blessing to work remotely (I would work remotely only if you have done it before). If you really cannot scrape together enough for bus fare, I would recommend asking a co-worker nicely to loan you $10 or $20. Tell him it's for meeting someone after work, but save it to use for your commuting costs tomorrow.

I think I've posted this in another thread by the OP -- you've really got to build up an emergency fund. And it needs to be way more than bus fare. Start with 1 months' expenses, and expand until you get to 1 year's expenses.

Then and only then start to pay off debts and fund a basic retirement account.

Then and only then start to invest.

Then you can have some fun money.

The first five years are tough (I budgeted in a ledger book every month during the first job out of college, and often had to reconcile my budget once per week depending on what I spent over the weekend.) I was paid circa $1400 at that time, once per month and on the last day of the month. There were some nights with a single baked potato and a can of beer for dinner, especially toward the end of the month.
I agree. I am not sure what your expenses are, But you should put away at least 10% of your paycheck away. If not, Try and swing 5%. You have to start somewhere. Having the funds run dry like this is stressful. If your expenses are high, See where you can make small cuts. Bag lunch as opposed to eating out. Any small cuts can add up so you can have at least some cushion to start. Sit down and analyze your expenses, Track where the money is going. You may even want to use a smartphone app or old-school small pad and pen to account for everything, Even a cup of coffee if necessary. Often seeing where the small leaks are and plugging them can help a lot.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:07 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
I have no idea how much the job brings in and how much costs are set. Obviously transportation and rent are typically set costs. Food can be tricky but doable. The issue is how much money is coming in. If you break-even even while being lean on other expenses, you cannot save anything. If the OP gives a wage estimate and cost estimate, it is alot more easy. I don't know if the OP lives on a champagne taste but on a beer budget or actually lives within their means. If it's the later, then it is hard to know where else to cut.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:43 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
get a credit card.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:45 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
Can anyone at all (friend, relative, neighbor, coworker, etc.) give you a ride to work tomorrow?

Old 05-13-2013, 05:13 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
get a credit card.
He must learn to manage his funds and expenses before doing this. If he uses it for "emergencies" like this it will add up and debt can occur. Credit cards have driven many into debt this way, Some hoping for a large payday that would not occur or "just one more charge" that turned out to be far more. Management and saving money while reducing expenses must be the first step.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:49 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
He must learn to manage his funds and expenses before doing this. If he uses it for "emergencies" like this it will add up and debt can occur. Credit cards have driven many into debt this way, Some hoping for a large payday that would not occur or "just one more charge" that turned out to be far more. Management and saving money while reducing expenses must be the first step.
I guess you missed the sarcasm in that post.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:55 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehanson View Post
I'm wondering about how to deal with a ridiculous situation.

Having $0 in the bank for one day, tomorrow, (thank go Wed is payday) and having my transit pass run out. Even though this a temp financial sitatuon I can't afford to even commute to my low paying job (as in $1400 per month) tomorrow. The company, it seems, cannot afford to pay employees more so I'm job hunting fevorishly for a higher paying position but I can't afford to quit and yet I can't afford to stay either. Very tricky situation.

Should I bring this up to my boss? I've been worrying about how to bring it up all day. How should I phrase it if so? He's aware people are struggling but I don't want to seem irresponsible with the income I'm getting if I reveal I can't come in tomorrow since I can't afford to even get there
That sucks. I've been there.

Got any friends who can give you a lift?

Hang in there.....it's one of lifes tests.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:26 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
How far is it to the job? Leave real early and walk? Being able to get to work is a job requirement, lack of money to get there is not considered the employer's problem. Despite the low pay, you accepted the job at that pay and at that location. For this time I hope you can get a ride or borrow bus fare, but when you get paid, you need to keep the cash on hand to get on the bus every day to next payday and don't touch it. This would not be my recommendation, and it's late there now, but I see people asking strangers and tourists for spare change for bus fare all the time. As broke as you are, if you lose the job you will be a lot worse off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment