Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2013, 11:12 AM

517 posts, read 1,704,276 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in a job that I guess is set up as contractor work, so there's a lot of extra paperwork etc that I would have to set up myself. It involves using my own vehicle.

On the application form it says I need my own auto liability, professional liability, and general liability Insurance. I have auto ins but no clue on the others.

Any idea on the cost of these? The job won't be particularly high paying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 11:29 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,758,510 times
First you should take the words " guess how it's set up" out of the equation and figure exactly and specifically how your new job is set up.

The reason for that is your insurance company is going to want to know. Depending on your liability and what you're doing is going to determine how much and to what extent of each type of coverage you need.

So figure out what you're doing, then call several insurance companies and discuss your options with them. You should be able to bundle all together. Start with your auto insurer if they offer other types of insurance also.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:40 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
You need to talk to your insurance carrier. Liability ins. for someone who manufactures explosives is different than liability insurance for the guy who operates an ice cream push cart.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:43 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,398,883 times
In extremely round numbers, you'll probably be looking at somewhere in the range of $2K per year for insurance on a new venture. Obviously, this rate can vary dramatically depending on the risk type.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:58 AM

517 posts, read 1,704,276 times
I noted on the application form they want you to declare you already have it set up.

But I don't have any guarantee they will hire me! I don't want to pay for this before they have even signed me on for work. So I am hesitant.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:17 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,758,510 times
Try getting a viable quote in writing from an insurance company. That means an insurance carrier can cover you. I wouldn't pay for it though unless they hire you.

A quote and actual paid for coverage are two different things. I think your potential employer just wants to know you have the ability to have coverage.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:45 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,398,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmaan View Post
I noted on the application form they want you to declare you already have it set up.

But I don't have any guarantee they will hire me! I don't want to pay for this before they have even signed me on for work. So I am hesitant.
Some specifics on the industry you're looking in would really help getting some solid advice here. The actual act of getting the certificates of insurance can take 48 hours or so (2 business days), unless it's a complicated risk - and you'll need to shell out at least 25% of the annual amount.

If you want to PM me some specifics, I can tell you how much this will cost and what kind of timeline you'll need for most lines of business. For most clients I've seen, they'll ask for the certs in advance of actually issuing you jobs, so you can still go through the "hiring" process before shelling out the coin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment