Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2013, 02:26 AM

853 posts, read 4,037,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poweramplifyingionairline View Post
Well I want to stagger my individual offices so that each one does not fully turnover at once.

That way, once an office is established, the existing employees can continue my "way" of doing things in my absence, while I expand to new areas.

So ideally only a few per office would be applying to college in any individual year.

I'm still not sure exactly how the law works. I've seen stuff online ranging anywhere from 11 to 14 as the minimum employment age, but 11 years old would be my theoretical minimum age. My best candidate so far was 12 years old at the age where I think I could have hired her, but my business was not ready at that time unfortunately.

Regardless, the contract will run from whenever they are ready to handle that list of responsibilities to their senior year of college. So it could be anywhere from a 7 to 10 year contract.

I would let them go to college with their peers, although if you do go away to college, that doesn't really matter much, as you usually only have a couple people from your high school that are going to the same college.

I thought of cold calling a college in advance with that idea, but here's the problem: I have no idea which college my students will end up wanting to go to and if I plant the idea in their heads now, by the time my students are old enough to apply, the idea will have lost its novelty by then. So there seems to be nothing to gain and everything to lose in trying to test that particular aspect of the idea in advance. But I mean, there's nothing for the student to lose in this scenario.

The employees are called independent contractors. There are certain aspects of the business that will be normal employees, but most will be contractors.

Your last paragraph seems contradictory. You say I would not raise alarms for presenting my ideas, but then say that your "parental protective instincts went way up in reading my posts." Isn't that what raising alarms means?

What's wrong with employing a 13-year old?

I already know your son is in high school so not sure what you think you are hiding.

How could a school or parent call the police?

What would their charge be? Telling them things they don't want to hear? That would be thrown out instantly and could hurt the school down the road, where if they really need help, the police may classify that school as a "boy who cried wolf scenario" and someone might get hurt because of that.
You wouldn't be employing 13 year olds, you would be having them sign a contract to work before they were old enough to know what they were getting themselves into and then attempting to keep them working for you for longer than adults are staying at jobs these days.

I was not hiding my kid’s ages but it is very creepy if you spent time reading prior posts to figure that out.

I did not mean that kids would literally be going to the same colleges as their peers, I meant peers in the sense of going to college with their peer group, other 18 and 19 year olds that just graduated high school.

My last paragraph was not contradictory. I meant that you would not raise alarms because your ideas are different, but because of what your ideas are, and how out of touch they are. A person with an idea that is different would not raise alarms in others simply because the idea is not typical, it's the content of your ideas that would raise alarms.

Parents and schools could call the police by dialing the phone # for the police and expressing their concerns. I think the first time you call a school trying to get first grade school records, this could happen. They could also send emails to parents warning them of a suspicious person. Also, schools are mandatory reporters for certain situations, even if they are not sure there is an actual issue, so calling the police would not be seen as crying wolf.

Last, my suggestion to call admissions offices was really so that you would hear their response, which I am guessing would be that a call from an employer wouldn't do much since anybody can call and say they are an employer. I was thinking that since you are not listening to anyone on this thread about your ideas that you might listen to responses from admissions counselors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 02:36 AM

349 posts, read 274,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeme View Post
You wouldn't be employing 13 year olds, you would be having them sign a contract to work before they were old enough to know what they were getting themselves into and then attempting to keep them working for you for longer than adults are staying at jobs these days.

I was not hiding my kid’s ages but it is very creepy if you spent time reading prior posts to figure that out.

I did not mean that kids would literally be going to the same colleges as their peers, I meant peers in the sense of going to college with their peer group, other 18 and 19 year olds that just graduated high school.

My last paragraph was not contradictory. I meant that you would not raise alarms because your ideas are different, but because of what your ideas are, and how out of touch they are. A person with an idea that is different would not raise alarms in others simply because the idea is not typical, it's the content of your ideas that would raise alarms.

Parents and schools could call the police by dialing the phone # for the police and expressing their concerns. I think the first time you call a school trying to get first grade school records, this could happen. They could also send emails to parents warning them of a suspicious person. Also, schools are mandatory reporters for certain situations, even if they are not sure there is an actual issue, so calling the police would not be seen as crying wolf.

Last, my suggestion to call admissions offices was really so that you would hear their response, which I am guessing would be that a call from an employer wouldn't do much since anybody can call and say they are an employer. I was thinking that since you are not listening to anyone on this thread about your ideas that you might listen to responses from admissions counselors.

Your comment about "knowing what they are getting themselves into" is why a parent has to co-sign before the contract becomes official.

If the parent doesn't ensure that the kid understands what a contract means, then that is their fault. But honestly, the type of kids I would be employing would be smart enough to understand.

The high turnover rate of adult jobs these days is not fully the adults' fault. Many companies lay off their employees and that is not under the control of the adult. But disloyalty in the workplace is a very sad issue and I want to remedy that by making the commitment up-front.

I didn't read prior posts to figure it out. I just guessed that he was older than 13 if you thought of him when reading this thread, so there was a pretty high chance that he was in high school.

If you didn't mean peers in that sense, then it wouldn't matter. A single year of age difference wouldn't be noticed by nearly anyone.

If you are saying that my ideas are out of touch, then you are saying they are different!

I mean you can't call the cops and have them arrest someone just because you don't like what they are saying, unless you had proof that they threatened to kill someone. What you are essentially saying is the equivalent of arresting someone because a teacher at school told your son a scary story. That would never happen!

As long as the student isn't currently in first grade, there's no reason why the school should be suspicious. The very fact that someone can be labeled "suspicious" by school administrators, simply because they don't agree with them, shows how far down the drain our country has sank to. It's less and less clear every day how we are somehow more of a "free" country than the Middle East countries the news demonizes. Sure we can say whatever we want, but if it's anywhere off the convention, you're suspicious and people are calling the cops on you.

l agree that anyone can call and say they are an employer, but most employers ask for references anyway, so I was merely trying to help the employees in anyway that I could. And my reference was more in showing their actual work and sending copies, so there would be more of a physical source of proof as to how the candidate was helpful.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:00 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,399,291 times
Quote:
An applicant in my program could go to almost any college they want, outside of maybe the Ivies.

Do you know how impressive it would be in your application to claim FIVE years of professional experience as an 18-year old applicant? Along with my stellar phone call recommendation, your application will jump to the top 1% of applications, as long as you have at least good grades.
You're totally delusional, as you have been this entire time. This statement further solidifies the fact that you have never attended college, as you have no clue of the admissions process, not to mention the fact(s) that:

1. Admissions officers don't take reference phone calls.
2. Even if you did get one on the phone, your psychotic rambling about your illegal indentured servant would likely result in a call to the local authorities for a possible 5150 well check. The last thing it would do is help any college applicant.

And none of this changes the fact that your proposed hiring process for your non-existent company is impossible. The minute you approached me about signing my 13 y/o to a contract of indentured servitude you would need to find a way to get your teeth replaced.

30 some pages ago, you said you'd make a billion dollars. That's laughable when you apparently have a product that can be produced after school by 13 year olds led by a raving lunatic.

Once again, you've established that you do not have any real business idea and no hope of ever accomplishing anything other than authoring a string of the oddest and most moronic posts ever on an Internet forum.

Congrats.

Oh, one more thing, how do school kids provide your 12 hours of shift coverage?
They don't. And you forgot about that when you continued to troll this thing along.

My advice, go back to your therapist, let them know they've got your meds out of whack, then spend some time away from the computer and look at reality for a second.

Either that, or quit sniffing glue.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:13 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,674,085 times
Quote:
If the employer thinks the references don't contain any honest criticism, then why bother having them in the first place? They seem to be a requirement of almost any job application.
references are useful. phone references.

i have looked at literally hundreds of job listings in the past few months and have come across maybe one or two that asked for letters of reference. when i asked my former boss, who adores me, to write one for me, she said "can you write it, and i'll sign it?"

so can you see why employers wouldn't find those useful? i know you are going to say she's lazy and doesn't care about me but the fact is she's BUSY because she has a very high level job, and she trusts me.

you can make up all the reasons you want that a 10 page letter of reference is superior; other people are still not going to see it that way and they are not going to waste their time reading it. that's actually a pretty good summary for what is going on here. you think your methods are great and your evidence is all things you made up that are contradictory to how humans actually behave. it seems like you're unable to comprehend that the way you perceive things is unusual and that most people are not going to see things the same way.

also, you don't follow up your letter with a call. the company calls you for a reference if they want one. you calling them would be considered strange, probably annoying, and might hurt the candidate you're calling on behalf of. one more example of you not understanding how common business practices work.

Last edited by groar; 05-26-2013 at 06:45 AM..

Old 05-26-2013, 06:18 AM

Quote:
You could easily agree to that if you knew you weren't going to break the contract.

A good analogy here is a student objecting to a camera being placed in a test room. The only reason you would object is because you were planning to cheat.
a smart 13 year old would not want to limit their choices in exchange for the crappy "rewards" you are offering. a smart parent would let them. it doesn't matter if they intend to break it at the moment they sign - they know that in 8 years of a teenager's life, things change, priorities change, and tying themselves to a life path through the end of college at 13 is simply stupid.

Quote:
How can you have the gall to try and 100% know that not one single person in the entire country would agree to that? Do you know every person in existence?
your pool isn't going to be everyone in the country, it will just be one metro area. even if you did have the whole country to choose from, the odds of you finding someone stupid, desperate and crazy enough to agree to this are vanishingly small.

the last idea only required someone super desperate. i could see that possibly happening. but you'd need a very, very, um "special" family to make this one work.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:32 AM

Quote:
5) I already have 4 or 5 people interested, so there goes that theory.
you found 4 or 5 people interested in selling their children into indentured servitude in the last 24 hours? either 4 people are interested or 5 are. and didn't you find people interested in your last scam i mean job? why don't you just go with that system then, since obviously it was working fine and every single person in this thread besides you was wrong?

google "girlfriend in canada"

"lots of people are agreeing with me in private! i am getting reps! i found people IRL who are willing to do this! for realsies! all the visible people disagree with me but the invisible people agree where you can't seeeee!"

Old 05-26-2013, 06:55 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,516,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
you found 4 or 5 people interested in selling their children into indentured servitude in the last 24 hours? either 4 people are interested or 5 are. and didn't you find people interested in your last scam i mean job? why don't you just go with that system then, since obviously it was working fine and every single person in this thread besides you was wrong?

google "girlfriend in canada"

"lots of people are agreeing with me in private! i am getting reps! i found people IRL who are willing to do this! for realsies! all the visible people disagree with me but the invisible people agree where you can't seeeee!"
Plenty of us agree with you and are following the entertainment, but are heeding this quote:

"
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

Mark Twain"

Old 05-26-2013, 06:58 AM

ha yeah, probably a good idea to listen to ol' sam. the quote at the end of my post was meant to be the OP though, plenty of people are agreeing with ME in public! haha.

and i guess there's something to be said for keeping this fun thread going for you guys!

Old 05-26-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
You're totally delusional, as you have been this entire time. This statement further solidifies the fact that you have never attended college, as you have no clue of the admissions process, not to mention the fact(s) that:

1. Admissions officers don't take reference phone calls.
2. Even if you did get one on the phone, your psychotic rambling about your illegal indentured servant would likely result in a call to the local authorities for a possible 5150 well check. The last thing it would do is help any college applicant.

And none of this changes the fact that your proposed hiring process for your non-existent company is impossible. The minute you approached me about signing my 13 y/o to a contract of indentured servitude you would need to find a way to get your teeth replaced.

30 some pages ago, you said you'd make a billion dollars. That's laughable when you apparently have a product that can be produced after school by 13 year olds led by a raving lunatic.

Once again, you've established that you do not have any real business idea and no hope of ever accomplishing anything other than authoring a string of the oddest and most moronic posts ever on an Internet forum.

Congrats.

Oh, one more thing, how do school kids provide your 12 hours of shift coverage?
They don't. And you forgot about that when you continued to troll this thing along.

My advice, go back to your therapist, let them know they've got your meds out of whack, then spend some time away from the computer and look at reality for a second.

Either that, or quit sniffing glue.

I graduated from college many years ago.

It's not illegal. Stop saying that. I've found several educational sources online that says a kid can sign a contract if his parent co-signs. I knew I couldn't be wrong about that.

lol, but you think punching me in the mouth is legal though?

I never claimed school kids provide 12 hours of shift coverage.

I said 3 four-hour shifts by adults can provide a full day of coverage.

The kids would provide 2-hour fill-ins when needed from 4 PM on during the week and on weekends.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
references are useful. phone references.

i have looked at literally hundreds of job listings in the past few months and have come across maybe one or two that asked for letters of reference. when i asked my former boss, who adores me, to write one for me, she said "can you write it, and i'll sign it?"

so can you see why employers wouldn't find those useful? i know you are going to say she's lazy and doesn't care about me but the fact is she's BUSY because she has a very high level job, and she trusts me.

you can make up all the reasons you want that a 10 page letter of reference is superior; other people are still not going to see it that way and they are not going to waste their time reading it. that's actually a pretty good summary for what is going on here. you think your methods are great and your evidence is all things you made up that are contradictory to how humans actually behave. it seems like you're unable to comprehend that the way you perceive things is unusual and that most people are not going to see things the same way.

also, you don't follow up your letter with a call. the company calls you for a reference if they want one. you calling them would be considered strange, probably annoying, and might hurt the candidate you're calling on behalf of. one more example of you not understanding how common business practices work.

I said I don't understand why employers find it useful, but if they nevertheless ask for it, you still have to give it.

If she really wanted to give you a genuine level, she could have slept 1 hour less that night and did it. But just because she's a liar (since she can't claim to have actually written that letter,) doesn't mean I am.

Waste their time reading it? If they read it, they will improve their company by having one of my workers there!

I'm certainly not going to give the company a chance to ignore my letter. They have to acknowledge it whether they like it or not.

Common business practices are asinine. That's part of why I'm going into business in the first place. To change that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment