Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 01:32 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,399,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poweramplifyingionairline View Post
Aren't the full teacher names on your report cards?

If you legitimately couldn't find an e-mail address, you could at least give it to me to do a more in-depth search.

And most people don't go to 12 middle schools.
Why would I have a HS report card 20+ years after the fact? If you're looking for hoarders, that might work!

And, from what I can recall, my report cards just showed the subject and the grade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 01:36 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poweramplifyingionairline View Post
Aren't the full teacher names on your report cards?
And you expect people to still have their report cards from high school?

I ordered my high school transcript recently, actually. There were no teacher names on them. And anyway I am not about to hand over people's names for you to"research" and contact, for the reasons I stated above.

And for the last time, cause I think i am done till you post the lolworthy job listing, no matter how reasonable you think this is, no one is going to do it.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
And for the last time, cause I think i am done till you post the lolworthy job listing, no matter how reasonable you think this is, no one is going to do it.
Oh, somebody will try it. But I still want to see that job posting!

Old 05-20-2013, 05:39 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I would implement a performance-based interview. I'd see if they could actually perform the job, if they were willing to learn, ask for help when needed, pleasant to work with, things like that.

I'm amazed at how many employers don't question things resumes include. If you say you created a training program on your resume, I'd ask you to describe it and the outcome. If you say you're a supervisor, I'd ask how many people you supervised, what their job titles were, etc.

Oh, and I ask questions, like "Now that I've told you about the position, do you think you would be able to do it? Why?" You would be surprised at what people will tell you if you ask them straightforward questions.

As for skills: in addition to being able to perform the job, I think flexibility and decisiveness are important.
I agree with this. For only a couple of sales jobs, I had to do a sales simulation where I was the salesperson and the manager the prospect. Or take me on a ride along and see if I add value to the table on a sales call.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:54 PM

349 posts, read 274,150 times
Quote:
This is what references (from former employers!) and examples of past work are for. Not proof of how quiet you were at nap time or how nice you were about sharing your juice in 1st grade.

What if the person doesn't have any former employers?

Old 05-20-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Why would I have a HS report card 20+ years after the fact? If you're looking for hoarders, that might work!

And, from what I can recall, my report cards just showed the subject and the grade.

You could fit all of your report cards from your entire career in a single box.

Considering how much you work for those grades, I would think you would keep them.

Plus, even if you didn't, I'm sure the schools you attended could send you a copy.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:57 PM

Quote:
And you expect people to still have their report cards from high school?

I ordered my high school transcript recently, actually. There were no teacher names on them. And anyway I am not about to hand over people's names for you to"research" and contact, for the reasons I stated above.

I'm sure the school has it in their records.

And what reasons were those?

That you didn't take school seriously then? Is that supposed to be someone else's fault.

If you want to hide something, you clearly have a reason to want to hide.

It's like in a court trial where you refuse to answer the question. Yes, you have that right, but why would you if you're really innocent?

Old 05-20-2013, 07:11 PM

You're looking for someone to help your business by interrogating them and assuming guilt? Like I said - you'll get some person (maybe people) to complete your "process", but you'll have long since rid yourself of all the good ones.

You got some good advice on performance based and working interviews here as a very effective way to assess prospects (even those with zero work experience) and blew it off in pursuit of your idea. Good luck with all those hires you find that hold tight to their HS "success" and save mementos from their glory days.

Just please, I beg you, post that job listing in here as well, or just DM me the link. I've got to see that list of requirements asking for HS grades and a reference from each year.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:14 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Worst interview process EVER.

I agree with so many other posters. No employee is going to go through with that.

I won't really even comment on the stupidity of trying to contact high school teachers for a reference. Email had not even entered use outside of the military when I was in high school.

The big flaw is that all of your theories are completely unfounded. You have this gut instinct that consistency through school is a good thing, but no proof. Similarly, you think that people who are willing to put up with a lot of crap are will make better employees, but again you have no proof.

You want 20 factors, but you cannot enumerate them, much less weight them for importance.

You are asking anonymous goons on the Internet for assistance; so much for a professional think tank.

Go back to square one. This thought is not worth any more time.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:21 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
yeah, i mean, i can appreciate trying to come up with a way to evaluate employees beyond the traditional interview process, which certainly has its flaws.

this just really, really isn't it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment