Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 12:34 PM

13 posts, read 21,511 times

Advertisements

I have the opportunity to move to Pittsburgh with some college friends, and it would work out best for everyone if I could do so by the end of the summer. But I'm afraid of jumping ship too early at my current job writing for a marketing firm. This is the first non-food-service job I've had out of college, so there's a lot on my mind as I think about whether to move or not. Here's what I'm thinking about:

Arguments for Moving:

Could Be Greener Pastures: I have mixed feelings about my workplace. I like the people, and I like that it's good resume fodder, but I am painfully underpaid (a byproduct of being young and naive about negotiating). And one of my coworkers has acknowledged that I work a lot more than some other employees who get much better paychecks. If, by chance, I land a job similar to what I'm doing now, I may be able to negotiate a much better salary. Plus, given the daily commute, about nine hours of my day goes to working. Finding a job that's less far away could give me more free time.

Not scared of not having a "real" job for awhile: All the advice I read online about moving and seeking employment is that you should secure the job first. But those obviously refer to jobs that aren't restaurant and retail, and the thing is, I don't really mind working service jobs. I actually enjoy them, for the camraderie you build with co-workers and the interaction you get with customers. Where I'm working now, I'm so focused on what I'm doing that I don't get the opportunity to talk with my coworkers, and I miss that kind of interaction. I'm not saying it's my life's dream to be a cashier, but I wouldn't mind working as one again, at least until something better came along.

Being With Old Friends: I live in a family-owned condo with a relative and another roommate. I love them both, but they're older than me and I don't feel very connected with either of them. It sort of sucks coming home and just spending my time eating dinner and watching TV, rather than talking with someone about my day. Plus, I think that having some friends to move in with is one of the easiest ways to move to a new city. It seems a lot better than just flying solo.

Gaining Life Experience: I've never truly supported myself, so I would obviously gain a lot from living on my own, paying rent, etc. And being in a new city would also be a great experience. I don't want to stagnate from being in a place where I have family to fall back on all the time.

Arguments for Sticking with the Job:

Leaving Prematurely: Part of me is reluctant to leave now, because I've been there about seven months altogether (four months as a formal employee, three months as an intern), and I feel like I've really gotten into the swing of things. I'm taking on better projects, and I've definitely accomplished some things that I can bring up if I stick around long enough to ask for a raise. I believe I could learn and grow as a writer if I stayed on longer. And all of my jobs have been pretty short-term, so I think it would be nice to stay somewhere longer term and really get to know the people I work with. Plus, I think this would just look better for me professionally if I stayed here, rather than going back to customer service if I couldn't find a similar job in Pittsburgh.

Fear of being labeled a job-hopper: Before the chance to move came along, I always thought I would stay at this company for at least a year, because I feared being labeled a job-hopper, and all my jobs have been summer gigs or short-term freelance work. When I discussed this job-hopping fear with my older coworker, however, she told me that most hiring managers don't blink at job shuffling from younger workers fresh out of college--only around age 25 does it become an issue. I'm afraid that if I don't stick it out for a year here, though, I may encounter other jobs that I don't like and be on the fast track to having HR managers toss my resume when they look at it.

Saving money:
I'd save more money staying here. But this isn't THAT much of a draw, given that I don't have a lot of friends here with whom to spend said money.

Force Me to Build Up a New Social Network:
Deep down, I wonder if just want to move because my friends who are moving together are going to have a grand ol' time, and if I don't I'll be missing out on all the fun. This seems like an embarrassing reason to want to move. I figure that if I stay here, I may not get the same instant gratification as I would if I lived with friends, but I would be forced to put myself out there and build up a new group of friends.

I'm so torn. I've always been the responsible person, the one who forsook socializing for studying. And when I look back on my college years, I deeply regret not spending more time with my friends. So part of me wants to move, but the more dominant part of me is telling me to stay put. One part of me says that I'm being treated unfairly at my job and to just quit, the other says crappy first jobs are a natural part of life and I should stick it out, because it may be beneficial in the long run. On option seems high in terms of gaining life experience, the other seems high in terms of saving money/polishing my resume.

My mind's running in circles, trying to think about this. What would you do if you were me?

Last edited by apples2applesdust2dust; 05-19-2013 at 12:38 PM.. Reason: Clarity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 01:47 PM

396 posts, read 1,850,967 times
You wrote that you wouldn't mind a retail/restaurant job again (while searching for a career position) in Pittsburgh. That will help with the expenses and keep you fulfilled. Plus you'd get to hang out with your friends after work versus older people. Even though you will be paying more for living expenses and could have lower income for a little while, sounds like you will be happier in Pittsburgh. Best wishes in your decision.

Old 05-19-2013, 02:45 PM

392 posts, read 704,028 times
Try and find a job in Pittsburgh, but don't quit. Even if you can't live with your friends, you can still live nearby. Not sure why this has to get done by the end of the summer.

Give finding a real job in Pittsburgh some time before you bail. Becoming a server/bartender or whatever again might set you back YEARS.

Old 05-19-2013, 02:54 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,193,276 times
I think you should do what is best for you. But in my opinion, I would suggest staying unless you can find a similar marketing job in Pittsburgh. I would hate for you to get stuck into a retail job because you can't find a marketing job.

Just some general comments on what you wrote:

Quote:

I have mixed feelings about my workplace. I like the people, and I like that it's good resume fodder, but I am painfully underpaid (a byproduct of being young and naive about negotiating). And one of my coworkers has acknowledged that I work a lot more than some other employees who get much better paychecks.
You are only 23 years old. There will be opportunities with enough experience to get a bigger paycheck whether you continue to work at your current job or move onto another. And it seems that you are gaining more responsibilities at your job. Just think of the long-term. What affords more professional growth and a bigger paycheck? Working at your current job or working as a waitress at TGI Fridays?

Old 05-19-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
And it seems that you are gaining more responsibilities at your job. Just think of the long-term. What affords more professional growth and a bigger paycheck? Working at your current job or working as a waitress at TGI Fridays?
I'm definitely considering the long term, too. Professionally, this job is better, but paycheck wise? I could be making more even in food service. There's also the fact that we've had five people quit within the past six weeks. But this isn't discouraging to me. It's almost become a challenge for me to see how long I can hold out.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:29 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,553,800 times
Stick to your current job and find new friends.

When moving, you need to move for concrete opportunities not just hope. For example, I moved from country to country but each time I had a solid job offer with much better pay. I may be moving again and this time will be same - solid job offer with much better pay.

I was paid jack squat when I was just out of college. I held out and took the opportunities which significantly increased my pay.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:40 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,435,548 times
Right now, your friends are certain they will make the move, but, that doesn't mean it will happen. If you decide to go with them and they change plans, you will be the one with the problem. It could easily happen. Friends can say and plan on a lot of things, but, coming up with the funds may be keeping them where they are. Just sayin...

Old 05-19-2013, 06:10 PM

They've already signed the lease on an apartment, so it isn't up in the air. They're moving in next week.

Generally speaking, isn't it difficult to get a job in a different city without having moved there first? I've read that getting a job in a different city is difficult if you don't have a local address, but moving without a job lined up is a bad idea. Considering that, I feel like I'll be stuck in my home state forever.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:18 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,553,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apples2applesdust2dust View Post
They've already signed the lease on an apartment, so it isn't up in the air. They're moving in next week.

Generally speaking, isn't it difficult to get a job in a different city without having moved there first? I've read that getting a job in a different city is difficult if you don't have a local address, but moving without a job lined up is a bad idea. Considering that, I feel like I'll be stuck in my home state forever.
You can use Google voice to set up a local number and use your friends' apartment as your local address.

Come on. Simple stuff.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:05 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,637,296 times
Marketing jobs are scarce these days and you are unlikely to find another if your resume says you stayed at this one less than two years. Put in your dues and then line up another one while you are employed. Who knows? Maybe Pittsburgh will seem less wonderful in a year or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment