Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 09:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,317 times

Advertisements

I was working at this Small Company in Tucker, GA for over a year. I was the Only His panic there. One of the Managers at this Company who has been there nearly a decade use to call another Manager (same length of employment there) Hector and it bothered me how we used to say Hector ( like if he was Mexican/Chicano). These are two very plain and basic white republican men. Anyways, since the guy that was doing the name calling asked me why I called a co worker a nick name, I asked him the same. I also included that it was becoming antagonizing and that I found it hypocritical. Because of another previous situation I had and I spoke to the Owner of this company who made me feel comfortable, I decided to CC him as well on this "concern" email I sent.

Well, within minutes the guy that was being called Hector came out his office shaking and angry and asked me what was going on and that it's not like they are the KKK up there in sheets. I told him that I didn't find it appropriate him calling you a his panic name like the two of them were and that was all the point I was making. He went down and talk to the Owner then told me to go see the Owner of the company. When I went in he didn't ask nor care to ask me why I felt the way I felt or anything. He just very bias said this environment isn't for you and I had to find another job. He said he couldn't terminate me because I did a good job there but I was a at-will employee and he said that my time was up. I feel I wasn't being oversensitive, I just feel certain things shouldn't be "acted" or discussed in the workplace, that was all.

I am curious has any other Employee had similar situations and what are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 09:15 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,329,735 times
This is a blatant violation of federal employment law, and you could contact the EEOC about it. You might want to be careful about that, though. It might be better just to see if you and your former employer can agree to move on peacefully. I think if you sue your former employer, regardless of the reason, you stand a good chance of being blackballed for future employment. I know it sucks, but that's what I'd do. Only go to EEOC if they're still being pricks during your job search and try to sabotage you. You'd have no choice then.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:20 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,983 times
You are oversensitive and trying to find racism for the purpose of there being racism. It is probably a very good thing the owner let you go. Maybe when you find a new job, you will not try to find racism, stop being a victim, and start being a leader.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:21 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,329,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
You are oversensitive and trying to find racism for the purpose of there being racism. It is probably a very good thing the owner let you go. Maybe when you find a new job, you will not try to find racism, stop being a victim, and start being a leader.
And you were there to witness this whole situation, I suppose, right?

Old 05-20-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
This is a blatant violation of federal employment law, and you could contact the EEOC about it. You might want to be careful about that, though. It might be better just to see if you and your former employer can agree to move on peacefully. I think if you sue your former employer, regardless of the reason, you stand a good chance of being blackballed for future employment. I know it sucks, but that's what I'd do. Only go to EEOC if they're still being pricks during your job search and try to sabotage you. You'd have no choice then.
what violation? there was no violation. The employer has every right to terminate this person. The employer did not discriminate against anyone.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
And you were there to witness this whole situation, I suppose, right?
I don't need to be there, going by the story given by the OP there was nothing wrong being done by the employer.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:45 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,772,183 times
Was there more to the story than some "white republican" being called an Hispanic nickname by his colleague? Maybe there is a reason for it. I'm assuming his real name isn't Hector or something similar. I could see a "Richard" being referred to as "Ricardo", or "Henry" as "Enrique". Unless there's an underlying anti-Hispanic sentiment to it, it wasn't worth getting your panties in a wad over.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:53 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Isn't Hector a Greek name?

Hector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Why does everything have to do with race? Is a Hispanic a race?

Old 05-20-2013, 11:58 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,917 times
i'm not even getting into the "is it racist or not" mire, but firing someone who does good work for expressing a concern with something someone said is way out of proportion. and it certainly doesn't foster a workplace environment where people feel comfortable voicing their concerns about ANYTHING.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:59 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
Wait, what? A white manager calls another white manager "Hector" and you took offense to that?
I don't think "Hector" is a Hispanic name ... wasn't Hector a prince of Troy who was killed by Achilles?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment