Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 03:27 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinonup11 View Post
Has anyone had any success in getting an out of state interview, phone interviews, or even getting hired as an out of state applicant?

My husband has....it's how we ended up where we are now. Was laid off back in Aug. of 2009 in Ohio. Applied EVERYWHERE in our neck of the woods (has MA in Engineering). Twenty months, over 400 applications, approximately 6 face to face interviews, and upwards of 20 phone interviews....finally got a job!!!!! We moved here, bought another house, sold our house in Ohio, and are currently LAID OFF AGAIN!!! So, yes it can and does happen (and will probably again). Some of the job boards flatly state only local residents should apply. Others generally have recruiters handling their HR and they ask a LOT of questions about relocation. We had discussed this beforehand and we were both on the same page - we will do whatever we need to do and wherever we need to go to do it. I can make a home anywhere as long as we are together. So, he started the job, I was back there packing and cleaning and taking care of the house. We don't have children so that part was easy, just me and him and our cats. He was able to convey and assure them that we were both willing to move, which we did. Some companies will pay all of your relo costs, some part of it, some none of it. So yes, if you are ready for it I would not hesitate to widen your horizons and take the plunge. You may even end up liking it!!!! Good luck.
I would not advise you to lie about your situation, your current location, or anything else to get a job. You have to be honest in all of your actions - if you get caught in a lie it's all over. Besides, if you are unemployed and feeling like crap about yourself, don't add more crap to the pile like being a liar, dishonest, etc. Be honest, sincere, forthcoming, and I believe you will find exactly what you need

Last edited by CFoulke; 05-23-2013 at 03:31 PM.. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 01:49 PM

66 posts, read 99,497 times
Thanks for sharing your experience. Yeah I think I'll be upfront, and just let it be known I'm in the process because it's so easy to check these days.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:16 PM

126 posts, read 133,383 times
but what if u applyin to diff jobs in diff states? u cant do all that for each like get a specific phone number to that area, address, etc

Old 05-24-2013, 05:19 PM

I've been applying to different cities/states, and I just took my current address off my resume and just put "relocating" instead. And then just make specific cover letters for each area. I'm not sure how it'll work but it's a start.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:32 AM

54 posts, read 86,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkwithwords View Post
Hello, I have a bit of experience with this and might be able to help you.

I wouldn't start applying for jobs until I knew I had the money to move and enough savings to last for a few months in case the job offer falls through. If you receive a job offer, you're going to move within the next few weeks and not planning ahead financially is disastrous and stressful (and could affect your job performance).

As groar said, let them know when you plan on moving. For me, I had a set date of October 1, 2013 for my move date but added that if I were to find a job, I could move within one week of my hiring date. Fortuntely, my current employer is very understanding of my situation, so this isn't a problem at all.

Because these people can't see you, your resume and cover letter must be outstanding. You not only want to make sure that you have checked your spelling, grammar, and punctuation but you want to really display attributes that can make an employee excel at what they do. Talk about how much initiative you take on projects, how you adapt to stressful situations, and how you value communication with co-workers. Experience definitely matters but sometimes experience doesn't give you some of those qualities. If you have them, talk about them.

If you just so happen to receive multiple job interviews within the span of a week, go in person. Not sure how far you're traveling, but it might be worth it. Stay in a room from airbnb, eat cheap (but well), and pack lightly. It'll give you a chance in the city you want to live in and explore the different areas. It might set you back a little in savings, but it might solidify your reasons for moving.

If you can't go in person and receive a telephone or video interview, still dress up! It's weird but if you're dressed for the part, you're going to play the part. Sit in a quiet office (or in your home) and keep your resume, cover letter, and any information you might need on a desk in front of you. Other than that, it's like a regular interview.

Good luck!
so it's better to look for jobs in state(or surrounding states) before applying to jobs way out of state?

Old 05-27-2013, 01:22 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,603,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinonup11 View Post
Has anyone had any success in getting an out of state interview, phone interviews, or even getting hired as an out of state applicant?
Florida to Washington 2 years ago... I sent resumes via email to various employers coast to coast and got a call from Seattle within a week... Was hired in about 2 weeks after a phone and Skype interview and moved shortly thereafter.

Things have worked out well... I love it here. After 35 years on the east coast moving to the PNW has been a very refreshing change of scenery.

Old 05-27-2013, 01:40 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,674,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the bueno guy View Post
so it's better to look for jobs in state(or surrounding states) before applying to jobs way out of state?
i'd say that if you have a choice, you should go for places that are closer, sure. the closer you are, the more credible it is that you will move. a cross-country move is a really major endeavor. moving 50 miles, not so much.

but it all depends on where you're looking and why.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:27 PM

@Kees I think I'm going to try emailing too, that seems like a more personal & smart way of contact. Maybe I wn't get lost in the sea of other applicants lol.

Last edited by movinonup11; 05-28-2013 at 08:30 PM.. Reason: Reply
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment