Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 09:03 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times

Advertisements

Actually kind of surprising since we are all adults and have to be in the same place for 8 hours a day but I see that it doesn't matter to some people. I was coming into the office and as I was walking down the hall a white female coworker was walking toward me and didn't speak. What happened was I went to make eye contact once we became closer and she was looking in the other direction. But it's cool since she has a right not to like black people so I will definitely make it easier for her and not even acknowledge her existence.

So it's a first time for everything in the work world and I'm sure this is not the last time I will meet someone like her. I just thought people atleast faked it until they arrived home since u r going to see the person everyday.

I been here six months and I believe we only had one conversation at a holiday party. lol

Old 05-24-2013, 09:10 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,382,777 times
I dunno. I wouldn't jump to thinking she's racist.

I often avoid eye contact while walking down a hall with a stranger because I just don't feel any need to look them directly in the eye. Its like if you look someone in the eye, then you may need to acknowledge them and often times I don't want to do that. I just want to walk down the hall and get to where I am going without having to acknowledge every single person I may come across in the process.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:10 AM

393 posts, read 1,086,477 times
Every job I ever had there were racists, especially, homophobics, I worked for an airline, and gotso sick of the same old gay jokes, I just told these jokesters all off one day!!

Old 05-24-2013, 09:15 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
I was leaving a softball game yesterday and wanted to tell one of the moms that I thought her daughter pitched really well as we crossed paths, but she wouldn't make eye contact with me. I was confused because we have spoken before, but now that I know that this means she is a racist I feel a little better about it.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:16 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
Woah, by the title of this thread, I thought someone outrightly said a racist remark or something. Just not greeting you doesn't mean anything. I've been putting up with that my entire adulthood being in the workforce...the last 20 yrs now. If this is all that's happened, you'll get used to it. Now you can "make" people like that speak by greeting them first. Most people will reply back. If people still don't say anything, I'd probably never say anything to that person ever again. But if you have to work closely with the person, I guess you have to be professional & cordial.

After you encounter numerous people like this though, you'll tire of ALWAYS being the one who greets people first & just not give a care anymore.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:21 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,516,810 times
That's racist? Its actually, not. People have the right to not have to acknowledge every single person they walk by.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:28 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,579,956 times
That's what you base racism on? Maybe she was shy, introverted, a snob, doesn't like you, thinking about something else, in her own little world...

Most people made eye contact with me at my old office and said hi. The ones that didn't were people I didn't know, and often several ranks above me.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:28 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
You sure maybe she was not just having a stressful day? Some people have these and withdraw for a bit while thinking about things. You mentioned you had a conversation with her before so I see no need to assume she is prejudiced over her not greeting you.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:37 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
I was certainly expecting a different story...

I wonder if she is thinking, "that black guy is a racist; he stared at me and didn't even say 'hello.' He doesn't have to like white people. It's cool."

At one time I was pretty quiet and introverted and I would have walked right past you without saying a word because that was my nature.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:46 AM

51 posts, read 105,112 times
Umm, as a person of color I don't quite get the call for racism on a first walk by basis. It's possible she was in her own head and really didn't see you. I frequently miss entire conversations going on around me due to my ability to have razor focus when needed. I don't want to discount your observation or experience at all, but I do think we need to be diligent and conscious of the negative spin we place on calling racism . It dulls the impact of describing the real unproductive behavior when it occurs. It's much like pulling a gun on someone with no real intent of pulling the trigger. If you continue to see this from this person the I would think you would have cause for concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment