Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 08:02 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,740,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
Dude, I think you are missing the point. Both admin staffs and principals are essential, just like HR is essential. Just quit arguing to argue.
No, I think you're missing the point.

You asked "Why do people dislike HR?"

My answer: Not because they aren't essential (which can still be debated, but besides the point), but the fact that they love to shove their supposed essentialness in your face through condescending, passive-aggressive ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 08:09 AM

799 posts, read 1,549,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
No, I think you're missing the point.

You asked "Why do people dislike HR?"

My answer: Not because they aren't essential (which can still be debated, but besides the point), but the fact that they love to shove their supposed essentialness in your face through condescending, passive-aggressive ways.

Did you have a nasty divorce with someone who worked in HR? Get fired recently? Did someone in HR kick your dog, kidnap your kid, pee in your soda? Because those types of grievances are the only reason I can think of why you would spew such nasty hatred about a mild topic. "Condescending" is a personal experience with one person who probably disciplined you. Which seems valid, given your tone on here.

The people in my HR are pleasant and do their jobs well., And there is a need for them. They help keep chronic malcontents like you from messing with my ability to do my work. And I will share a little secret-- HR ONLY makes decisions based on management action. So someone, somewhere is feeding them info about what should happen. Your boss? Your CEO? Why shoot the messenger?

Old 05-25-2013, 08:29 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,740,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
Did you have a nasty divorce with someone who worked in HR? Get fired recently? Did someone in HR kick your dog, kidnap your kid, pee in your soda? Because those types of grievances are the only reason I can think of why you would spew such nasty hatred about a mild topic. "Condescending" is a personal experience with one person who probably disciplined you. Which seems valid, given your tone on here.

The people in my HR are pleasant and do their jobs well., And there is a need for them. They help keep chronic malcontents like you from messing with my ability to do my work. And I will share a little secret-- HR ONLY makes decisions based on management action. So someone, somewhere is feeding them info about what should happen. Your boss? Your CEO? Why shoot the messenger?
I'll give you that "little secret" (which isn't so secret, I was well aware of that). That said, the buck stops at the delivery of whatever management feeds you. Management doesn't force you to be rude to potential candidates, set up silly hiring practices, set up silly initiatives that annoy your employees, etc.

And just because I disagree with your feelings about HR, I'm a "malcontent" now? How nice.

And I've never had to personally deal with HR at my job for anything other than payroll and the processing of my paperwork for hiring (both of which are duties that CAN be outsourced), thank god.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:38 AM

2,533 posts, read 3,099,533 times
Why wouldn't anyone detest "Human Resources?" They're toadies for the bosses. Nothing to like.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:03 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
Why wouldn't anyone detest "Human Resources?" They're toadies for the bosses. Nothing to like.
The implication is that you also dislike bosses. Why?

Old 05-25-2013, 09:26 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Why is it that everyone in a company has to justify their jobs to HR? Who justifies HR peoples' jobs? HR people are the biggest phony morons on the planet. Collectively, their IQs are worth 1/10000000000000th of the brain power they fire every year in R and D.

Not to mention, many HR tards go on to try for moronic cookie cutter training like 6-sigma which absolutely does nothing and is just a bunch of made up trash by HR people to once again justify their jobs. HR departments should be first on the chopping block before any other division at a company. Hell, the coffee boy does more work than HR.
I don't recall ever having to justify any job to HR. I justify the position with the business units lead (VP, partner etc.) that is responsible for the budget. However, because HR are the ones that handles the turnover of employees, I go to them to help with the process. Now, there may be a situation where they say you can't hire someone because the organization has a hiring freeze. Again the decision wasn't HR's, they simply are enforcing the decision of the leadership.

As for six sigma - its not an HR concept. Its a lean/efficiency concept. Perhaps you have six sigma trainers where you work or those that are looking to be trainers - and training is commonly part of the HR department. But you can say the same thing for MS office Trainers. That doesn't mean MS Office is a HR skill.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:38 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I'll give you that "little secret" (which isn't so secret, I was well aware of that). That said, the buck stops at the delivery of whatever management feeds you. Management doesn't force you to be rude to potential candidates, set up silly hiring practices, set up silly initiatives that annoy your employees, etc.

And just because I disagree with your feelings about HR, I'm a "malcontent" now? How nice.

And I've never had to personally deal with HR at my job for anything other than payroll and the processing of my paperwork for hiring (both of which are duties that CAN be outsourced), thank god.
You've clearly had some poor experiences with HR. In my experiences, HR has realized that I'm the talent of the company and has treated me well.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:12 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,166,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Most of it comes from people trying to get a job and are looking blame someone else for their lack of success.

Depending on the organization, HR may have little or nothing to do with payroll once an offer is made and accepted. Here for example, I turn in my employee performance reviews and salary increase to HR for their files but they send the details on the pay to Payroll which is in Accounting, and they, not HR would handle any questions about the pay checks.

When it comes to hiring, HR takes the job announcement that I write and advertises it, then screens my selections for interviews to make sure they meet the minimum requirements, and moderate the interviews. They do not make any decisions on who to interview or hire, that's left to the hiring manager or supervisor.

They also handle the complexities of FMLA, contract negotiations with unions. I look at them as helpful consultants.
This is the only way I have seen HR used in hiring, that's why I find it odd when people say that HR is the person giving them the in-person interview asking them what type of animal they would be. I've worked with several fortune 500 companies both as an internal and external consultant and I've never seen HR give interviews unless the open position is an HR position of some kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Why is it that everyone in a company has to justify their jobs to HR? Who justifies HR peoples' jobs? HR people are the biggest phony morons on the planet. Collectively, their IQs are worth 1/10000000000000th of the brain power they fire every year in R and D.

Not to mention, many HR tards go on to try for moronic cookie cutter training like 6-sigma which absolutely does nothing and is just a bunch of made up trash by HR people to once again justify their jobs. HR departments should be first on the chopping block before any other division at a company. Hell, the coffee boy does more work than HR.
Do you even know what Six Sigma is? It is an operations strategy to reduce waste and increase effectiveness/efficiency. HR may help people sign up for Six Sigma classes or let you know operations wants you to take it, but it is hardly an HR initiative.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:21 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,917 times
i've had quite a few interviews that involved hr in one way or another. none of them were for hr positions.

one interview where i met with both hr and the hiring manager separately. both of them interviewed me in a fairly traditional way but the hr interview also included discussion of the salary range and benefits.

another where i met entirely with the hr person, but it was a very small company and i think she was a one-woman hr department and also sort of the supervisor for the area where i would have been working.

i also had a first interview that was a department hr person and the person who would be my immediate supervisor, with the second interview being the big boss who was making the hiring decision.

i've had quite a few hr people interview me over the phone, sometimes a short phone screen but sometimes a longer, more substantive interview.

i don't really have an opinion on hr either way (i guess i do think they're victims of blaming the messenger a lot of time, but a lot of them also just seem to be kind of bad at their jobs), but that is my experience.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:31 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,166,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i've had quite a few interviews that involved hr in one way or another. none of them were for hr positions.

one interview where i met with both hr and the hiring manager separately. both of them interviewed me in a fairly traditional way but the hr interview also included discussion of the salary range and benefits.

another where i met entirely with the hr person, but it was a very small company and i think she was a one-woman hr department and also sort of the supervisor for the area where i would have been working.

i also had a first interview that was a department hr person and the person who would be my immediate supervisor, with the second interview being the big boss who was making the hiring decision.

i've had quite a few hr people interview me over the phone, sometimes a short phone screen but sometimes a longer, more substantive interview.

i don't really have an opinion on hr either way (i guess i do think they're victims of blaming the messenger a lot of time, but a lot of them also just seem to be kind of bad at their jobs), but that is my experience.
Yes the phone interview is a basic screening process though. They are just confirming you are who you say you are, you actually have the experience you say you do on your resume and you are still interested in the position. I've never seen anything beyond that.

Sorry, but the hiring manager doesn't have time to call 15 people and phone screen them, that is why they pass it off to HR, actually the companies I work with use recruiting for this, which I guess is a facet of HR, but when I think of HR I think of the HR generalists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment