Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 01:13 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,983,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes -- and I know a guy who had a DVT many years ago who they tried to put on coumadin, he told them keep their rat poison, he didn't want it and instead he takes an aspirin daily and if he nicks himself shaving and bleeds too long or thinks he's bruising too easily he cuts back to a half for a few days. A true do-it-yourselfer -- even in the monitoring of his anticoagulant levels. I would not recommend this to anyone although it's probably what I would do myself if I had a DVT. He said he can eat all the salad he wants doing it his way.

If you get the generic brand coumadin it's only $10 a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 06:11 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,121,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Yeah like most people can pay $350 a month for health insurance
"Most people" don't make more because they do not require all the bennies.

You DO make much more working as a contractor. I prefer it.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:12 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,959,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
But why would someone want to do something like that when they can focus on jobs that offer medical insurance?
Because holding out = no increase in income, no opportunity, life is basically on hold, and we have millions of 99rs. How'd holding out work out for them?

Old 05-26-2013, 10:29 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,822,588 times
Unless they have just recently changed the unemployment compensation rules here in Florida, you can collect a lot longer than 24 weeks. I know two people who got it for 2 years, and that just was very recently.......like 6 months ago.

Don

Old 05-26-2013, 11:20 PM

7,034 posts, read 14,471,813 times
Depends..

Job without benefits in my field (or at least somewhat related) > Staying on UI > Some unrelated and low-paying job.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:08 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,133,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I'm thinking she is on UE and 4 weeks in so the clock is ticking to the point where she will have no income if she doesn't find a position at all. She has no insurance now. It is difficult to find a position that offers insurance and a lot of the employment is becoming temporary now. So, if she takes this job, she'll at least have some cash to pay toward her medical needs versus chancing running out of UE and ending up with neither insurance or income.
Bingo!

Old 05-27-2013, 08:15 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,133,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Unless they have just recently changed the unemployment compensation rules here in Florida, you can collect a lot longer than 24 weeks. I know two people who got it for 2 years, and that just was very recently.......like 6 months ago.

Don
I can get benefits past 24 weeks; there's two more tiers to exhaust following the 24 week mark. However, it's in my best interests to get re-employed ASAP. Gaps on the resume are not beneficial. Three years ago, when I was laid off, I was back to work within 6 months. As far as the health insurance issue, like I mentioned previously, the norm has certainly changed in regards to benefits being offered, even with a 40+ hour work week. With the increase in income (this position pays more right off the bat than my previous job), I can get my own health insurance due to better income. Hoping for interview appointment tomorrow & see how it goes.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:29 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,566,637 times
Good luck to you, OP! I hope you get the job for all the reasons you mentioned.

Working a decent paying job even with no benefits beats living under the pressures of being on UI.

Been there, done that.

I have no benefits, pay for my own insurance, and do just fine.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:43 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,095,629 times
Would education help? If you are on unemployment, you may qualify for department approved training and training extension benefits. I decided to do that and went to the cheapest community college I could find because the unemployment amount from a previous job was about equal to what the other jobs in the area were paying. (Yeah, they sucked)

While I was there I became friends with the head of the finance department. You can have a Bachelor's and still take community college courses in department approved training, so it turned out I wasn't the only student in that situation. He disclosed to me, laughingly, that his best two students were both just there to collect training extension benefits. He found a great deal of irony in that. We came for the pay, not the learning, but we studied harder than our classmates. I took the projects seriously, and decided to enroll in a Master's program after that experience. Of course, my training extension benefits ran out long ago, but it was the lift I needed to really get after my education.

So if you are considering additional training to enhance your skills or become more marketable, this may be the best opportunity.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:45 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,095,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Because holding out = no increase in income, no opportunity, life is basically on hold, and we have millions of 99rs. How'd holding out work out for them?
I'm a 99r and thoroughly enjoying my Master's program, thank you

Well, technically the state didn't qualify for 99, but I did go 70 or so before running out of ways to extend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment