Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 12:39 PM

194 posts, read 635,726 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever done this before? I think there are two sides to this:

-If you are in a generic position that could be easily replaced, and/or were a prime candidate for being laid off during budget cuts, you wouldn't want your boss knowing you are looking for another job.

-If you are in a more specific position that would be tougher to replace, is this more feasible?

Has anyone ever done this before?

How have you sort of subtly yet purposefully let your boss discover you were looking for other positions because you are unhappy with your current work situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 12:46 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
What's the purpose of playing this silly game?

Old 05-28-2013, 12:47 PM

254 posts, read 597,568 times
That is a delicate line to cross if you do that. If you are higher up in the company, and want to interview for a better job with better pay, go for it. If you value your job with this company, think twice. Even if you do want to leave, you should never tell them about it or where you will be working. They could make your life hell. I read in this forum where this guy told his boss he was going to resign and work for this company he mentioned by name. The president found out and contacted the new boss and told him that his new employee had not given them adequate notice of quitting (but he did) and was harassing the new boss making the new hire look bad.
No, just keep it to yourself if you do go to interviews. If you have a good relationship with your boss, then keep your mouth shut. Once you leave, you would want them to give you a good reference.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:48 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom125 View Post
Has anyone ever done this before? I think there are two sides to this:

-If you are in a generic position that could be easily replaced, and/or were a prime candidate for being laid off during budget cuts, you wouldn't want your boss knowing you are looking for another job.

-If you are in a more specific position that would be tougher to replace, is this more feasible?

Has anyone ever done this before?

How have you sort of subtly yet purposefully let your boss discover you were looking for other positions because you are unhappy with your current work situation?

No because I am allergic to unemployment.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:48 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
If people do that with us, we mentally write them off.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:56 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,917 times
terrible idea. you might find out you're not as valuable as you think and be out of a job, they might call your bluff, and/or they might end up feeling resentful and that could hurt you down the road.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:58 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,130,732 times
No, Not a good strategy. It's business, And this is playing games. Either stay quiet, Or if the relationship with the boss is good a sit down to address the concerns would be welcomed for it's honesty. The valuable employee would likely have the support of the boss if he/she manages the business/dept the right way. Look, Bosses- None of them do not like it when capable, valued talent leaves. They have to either hire from outside or promote from within and hope the person can do the job. if there is no room in the budget for this the workload either increases for that boss or the remaining employees and is more of a strain. When I was a regional manager for a company it was tough losing co-manager's, store managers and employees who put real effort into work and were responsible.

These types are not easy to find, believe me.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:03 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
Definitely not a good idea. It will always be on the back of your boss's mind that you threatened him or her to quit. If you are looking for a promotion or more money show your boss that you are an asset to the company, not a hindrance.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:05 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,917 times
also, if you are trying to leverage this into a raise, asking for a raise always carries the implication that you might quit if you don't get it. you don't have to say it, and if you do say it you can ruin your relationship with the manager.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:06 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,012,378 times
I'd look at the track record of the company/organization with others who have done this.

I worked at a place where basically the only way to promote was to leave and then come back later. Many people did this.

At my current job someone left a few years ago to go to another company. He re-applied here and was hired with a HUGE increase. Everyone said "more power to him" because the company didn't pay him well before. *shrugs*

Be prepared to leave is all I have to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment