Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 08:23 AM

973 posts, read 1,452,414 times

Advertisements

Just got the call, Interview and Weld test on Monday. I am walking into the weld test blind because the HR lady did not know what the test consisted of... only that there is 3 parts. Networking now through my local friend and schoolmates to try to find out if anyone knows someone who welds there. I would like to know what process they will test on.. but oh well. Whatever it is, I will do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 04:32 PM

29,792 posts, read 24,876,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP72 View Post
Just got the call, Interview and Weld test on Monday. I am walking into the weld test blind because the HR lady did not know what the test consisted of... only that there is 3 parts. Networking now through my local friend and schoolmates to try to find out if anyone knows someone who welds there. I would like to know what process they will test on.. but oh well. Whatever it is, I will do it.
What type of work does this company do?

For many, the worst part about a welding test is the pressure involved. Your potential employment hinges on that one simple task, yet many don't perform as well as they could because they get nervous. My advice if you're the nervous type... Don't consume alcohol the night before, and limit caffeine prior to the test.

I've never applied to a welding job, but welding is one of the skills I have had to demonstrate proficiency in for job interviews. The tests I have taken were very basic and straight forward. Mostly arc and MIG welding butt joints or filling in deformities on botched work. I would imagine a skills demonstration in the welding trade would be more rigorous unless it's entry level.

Maybe you could schedule a date and time to practice your welding skills at the vocational school you attended. Anything to improve your confidence in your skill and ability will only help.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:42 PM

181 posts, read 449,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
For blue collar stuff, I would recommend craigslist and careerbuilder for higher paying/career level blue collar work. I found my current job on CB, and I can usually find decent paying side gigs on craigslist, although they do have a lot of lower paying 40/hr week jobs listed. What type of blue collar work are you looking to do?

About a year ago, many places were hiring anyone with a pulse, but they weren't paying all that much for no skill blue collar work. Right now, things are getting rather uncertain again. I have a list of folks I call up whenever I want to do some extra work. Not one bite. Word is money is getting tight and customers aren't paying their bills. When customers don't pay, small companies can't hire more people or even meet payroll. Hard to hire new people when you can barely pay the ones you have right now. That may just be in my neck of the woods, but the Chicagoland area serves as a good measure of the pulse of the nation in my opinion.

What types of skills do you have? Small companies often have difficulty advertising open positions to the public. It never hurts to stop in and drop off a resume. I have found work and even side projects this way. Sometimes, the company could use an extra hand, but they are holding off until they are certain. Stopping in ahead of time can get your resume to the top of the stack, or they might even decide to hire you without conducting a search since advertising and interviewing is an expense. Best of luck to ya.
This is great advice, especially about dropping off your resume at small companies. I was wondering if this was even possible anymore or not welcomed. My husband has 25 years of distribution center/warehouse experience with a major company, but they're moving out of the area and he'll soon be looking for work. He's consistently been promoted over his long career with them but has never wanted a supervisory sort of position, just doesn't want the headache that goes with that, but he has trained employees and directed manpower. He's mentioned walking into small companies and dropping off his resume so it's good to know this is still looked on favorably. He'll also use Career Builder and Craigslist so it's good to know those have worked. It's going to be nerve racking looking for work after 25 years and the whole interview process today is so different from what it use to be. Are there any type of recruiters/headhunters that work with these type of jobs?

Old 05-31-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Good luck to you!

Old 05-31-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy07 View Post
This is great advice, especially about dropping off your resume at small companies. I was wondering if this was even possible anymore or not welcomed. My husband has 25 years of distribution center/warehouse experience with a major company, but they're moving out of the area and he'll soon be looking for work. He's consistently been promoted over his long career with them but has never wanted a supervisory sort of position, just doesn't want the headache that goes with that, but he has trained employees and directed manpower. He's mentioned walking into small companies and dropping off his resume so it's good to know this is still looked on favorably. He'll also use Career Builder and Craigslist so it's good to know those have worked. It's going to be nerve racking looking for work after 25 years and the whole interview process today is so different from what it use to be. Are there any type of recruiters/headhunters that work with these type of jobs?
With smaller businesses, dropping off resumes in person is still an option. For larger businesses, this is often discouraged. This is why it's best to know someone on the inside to obtain employment with many large corporations these days. There's a huge bureaucratic barrier to entry when it comes to getting a job with types of companies, which is why I avoid them.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
With smaller businesses, dropping off resumes in person is still an option. For larger businesses, this is often discouraged. This is why it's best to know someone on the inside to obtain employment with many large corporations these days. There's a huge bureaucratic barrier to entry when it comes to getting a job with types of companies, which is why I avoid them.
There's one large business that constantly advertises warehouse positions that he'll apply to, they actually wanted to hire him 10 years ago, but who knows now, everything's changed. He'd prefer a smaller company now, he's tired of all the bureaucracy with large companies. You don't see too many warehouse/DC positions on job boards either, they just pop up now and then. We're also afraid a lot of them might think he's "over qualified."

Old 05-31-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
What type of work does this company do?

For many, the worst part about a welding test is the pressure involved. Your potential employment hinges on that one simple task, yet many don't perform as well as they could because they get nervous. My advice if you're the nervous type... Don't consume alcohol the night before, and limit caffeine prior to the test.
They do some type of Structural Steel. Got a little info back through my local network. It will be MIG, V-Grove, so its plate but don't know position, how thick, gap, open root or backing strap. Back gouging was mentioned. MIG is not my strongest because we did not spend a lot of time on it. Night Classes, we can only guess broke 2 of the 3 MIGs we had in class. I went in the day. I then moved on to TIG. I did have a few goes at running one of the MIGs and it is not that bad. I should get a little warm up time before testing. I am not too worried about it but not 100% confident either.

And thank you Lindy

Old 05-31-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
They do some type of Structural Steel. Got a little info back through my local network. It will be MIG, V-Grove, so its plate but don't know position, how thick, gap, open root or backing strap. Back gouging was mentioned. MIG is not my strongest because we did not spend a lot of time on it. Night Classes, we can only guess broke 2 of the 3 MIGs we had in class. I went in the day. I then moved on to TIG. I did have a few goes at running one of the MIGs and it is not that bad. I should get a little warm up time before testing. I am not too worried about it but not 100% confident either.

And thank you Lindy
For me, MIG welding was always the easiest. You don't have to account for the stick burning down, and it doesn't require the other hand to feed material. Just dial in the settings, try for a test weld when possible and have at it. MIG welding was the only kind I did at my last job. Even though I never did it before, I was able to jump right in without any help. Never once had an issue with a weld breaking, although they weren't all that pretty at first. Luckily, air tools can take care of that problem.

Call the school to see if they will let you come in to practice. Most reputable vocational schools would encourage this since they want their past students working, especially if they collect and report statistical employment rates.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:08 PM

Yea, I got the offer to practice if I needed, before Graduation. MIG was compared to running a glue gun if your settings are right. I sort of agree with it. I just did not get a lot of time on it. Summer session should be in now so I will call Monday morning and see if my Instructor is there. I can't remember what the days were going to be on the Summer session though. Going to be a drive for me though 17 miles one direction from home and back through out the other direction to another city... but I want the job. I am trying to find out if anyone I know has even a hobby MIG that I can play with over the weekend.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:42 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,742,002 times
In my trade I took lots of make or break tests, dozens of them, usually to ASME pressure codes with a heli-arc root and stick out. Mild steel, stainless, high chrome alloys, inconel; usually pipe in the Arkansas bellhole position.

If you have the skills a welding test isn't hard and it's sure as Hell easier than most of the welds on the job. The problem can be nerves brought on by anxiety. But if you know you have the skills and ability you can relax and just take it on as a job of work. Attitude, self assurance, confidence; those are the keys. Get your machine running right, make a good fit on the coupons and just weld the damned thing up.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 06-01-2013 at 01:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment