Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 08:03 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,482,104 times

Advertisements

How to lose your fear of being fired

This ties together very well with my previous post on the subject:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...l#post28709517

Last edited by ragnarkar; 06-04-2013 at 08:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 08:57 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,585,694 times
It's true that not being afraid of being fired can make you a better employee, and will certainly make your work life better. However, the list of fear of being fired symptoms (like putting up with bullying) totally describes my experience teaching in a public school. However, not being afraid of being fired wouldn't make any difference for teachers, because one is not simply fired from a school in the teaching profession. The consequences can go far beyond that - if a principal wants, he or she can easily keep you from being hired at ANY school ever again. That's part of why teaching is such an awful job and teachers put up with bad behavior from management - being fired doesn't just end your job, it ends your career.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:23 AM

977 posts, read 1,815,175 times
Best way is to minimize your expenses best you can (aka having F U money). Too bad most people spend without regard to the freedom that can be had by minimizing expense.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:44 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
That had to be one of the worst articles I have read in awhile.

It's obvious the author doesn't have a clue regarding employment in other countries. Also, his generalizations as to what employees will tolerate, is also way off base.

That's why I am sure he has no clue as to the laws and rules of the USA. If he did, he'd have not told this story which I find is as badly written as some children's fairy stories.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:48 AM

994 posts, read 1,592,448 times
I figured that if my employer is hell bent on firing me, nothing in the world will really stop them so I stopped worrying about it. I read this article before and I agree with a lot of what the author says here and elsewhere on his site. To me there's no sense in losing sleep over crap at work especially if your job isn't a good one to begin with. Employers view you as a throwaway employee nowadays so I see them as throwaway unless its a hell of a job (which is pretty rare).

Old 06-04-2013, 09:48 AM

803 posts, read 1,667,991 times
I don't have any fear because I do my job well in a productive manner, am reliable, and set an example. I also don't put up with unreasonable sh*t from colleagues. Having a nest egg and specialized skills help, too.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:11 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,047,020 times
That was a meaningless article written by someone who obviosly never spent a day in the real world.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:13 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,047,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
It's true that not being afraid of being fired can make you a better employee, and will certainly make your work life better. However, the list of fear of being fired symptoms (like putting up with bullying) totally describes my experience teaching in a public school. However, not being afraid of being fired wouldn't make any difference for teachers, because one is not simply fired from a school in the teaching profession. The consequences can go far beyond that - if a principal wants, he or she can easily keep you from being hired at ANY school ever again. That's part of why teaching is such an awful job and teachers put up with bad behavior from management - being fired doesn't just end your job, it ends your career.
Teachers never get fired once they get tenure.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:35 AM

486 posts, read 1,255,775 times
If you are a member of a protected class (basically any racial minority outside of an Asian male, woman, etc), you don't have much to fear.

If you are a white or Asian male, you better be worried as they are looking for any excuse to fire you.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:51 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countofmc View Post
If you are a white or Asian male, you better be worried as they are looking for any excuse to fire you.

All those fired white and Asian males must explain why those groups have far, far higher median incomes than other demographic groups.

Personal income in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment