Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 11:50 AM

444 posts, read 817,067 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I know there are many threads on City-Data that ask the question "Should I leave my new job for a better offer?" and in most cases the answer seems to be "YES, BUT... you will burn bridges". My question today is; is it wrong to take a job (not Mc Donalds, but an Engineering Job) to get by until the right job or offer comes along?

Here is my background info:

I just graduated college with an engineering degree. I've been applying for the past year. A year ago, I was having trouble finding a permeant job. But, I found an internship (6months long). At the time, a lot of companies were laying off. I thought I would gain some experience and "ride out the tide".

Durring that 6 months, I continued applying thinking that I would find something permeant. I've had a good amount of interviews and gotten a feel for "how much" I'm worth biased on my skill set, and what different positions pay. I've had a few offers, but turned them down because of one reason or another. I have turned the jobs down mainly because I was unable to fulfill an aspect of the job for example, one place wanted me to travel more than I am able, and another wanted me to move 2000+ miles for them to "try me out" with no benefits.

Here is my situation:

Obviously, I cannot afford to turn down jobs. My friend works at a company (~800miles away) that is hiring for a position I am qualified and willing to work, but her company underpays. Her initial offer was a discussing low ball ~65-70% of the offers I have seen. I wondering 2 things:

1.) is it wrong to take a low offer from her company to support myself, and look for a better paying job?
2.) should she refer me (her company has a referral bonus program)?
Side question:
3.) Is it wrong to take any job I don't want, and look for another job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 12:20 PM

503 posts, read 1,168,465 times
Be honest about your intentions. You may lose out, but it's better than making a company feel screwed over. Discuss your requirements with them, too. Don't quit without trying.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:21 PM

111 posts, read 222,647 times
1. No, it's not wrong. People do this all the time.
2. Depends on how long you think you'll stay and how long it will likely take you to find a job. Under a year and she's risking her reputation.
3. No.

In this particular situation however, you should take into account the cost of living in the area, how much it will cost you to move and what your hours and work culture will be (because it affects your ability to job-search). The offer might be good for an area with a low COL, or it might be outrageously low.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:27 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,782,707 times
Look a employer advertised a job for 6 months last year which means they were looking to use someone for 180 days and get rid of them.

So no it's nothing wrong with it

Old 06-04-2013, 02:36 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,484,434 times
No its not wrong. Doing honest work and being paid for it to support yourself is not wrong.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:23 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,069,199 times
I don't think so. Most people would not pass up a better opportunity if one came along. That might be in six months, might be a couple years. You have to take care of yourself.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:34 PM

7,017 posts, read 14,408,450 times
If it's a bigger company, maybe you'll also have a shot at better paying and more suitable positions internally..

Old 06-04-2013, 05:47 PM

444 posts, read 817,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleShadow View Post
In this particular situation however, you should take into account the cost of living in the area, how much it will cost you to move and what your hours and work culture will be (because it affects your ability to job-search). The offer might be good for an area with a low COL, or it might be outrageously low.
The company just likes to lowball, but it's in a HIGH COL area. The consolidation is I can move in with my friend, and I don't have much to move. What she tells me from her experience is that hours are long, vacation is barely existant, and she doesn't like the culture much. (She took the job quickly and then got to hear everyone else's offers . They are supposed to renegotiate her salary in a few months.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I don't think so. Most people would not pass up a better opportunity if one came along. That might be in six months, might be a couple years. You have to take care of yourself.
I agree with you, strawberrykiki. The biggest reason I have been thinking about this is that I expect it will take roughly 6 months to find the job I want, with a reasonable offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
If it's a bigger company, maybe you'll also have a shot at better paying and more suitable positions internally..
Unfortunately, it's a smaller company. But, I'm wondering if it's in bad taste to network with companies that my company has relationships with?

Old 06-04-2013, 06:01 PM

23,276 posts, read 23,633,734 times
Nothing wrong with it. I would rather work at a lower paying job, than have no job at all. There is no commitment these days, either on the employee, or employer side. When an employer does not need your services any longer, they "lay you off" and don't feel guilty about it. Why should you?

Old 06-04-2013, 06:38 PM

4,972 posts, read 7,157,141 times
Nothing wrong with it at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment