Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 10:05 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherie2 View Post
I am currently attending school online to get my Bachelor's degree (Bachelor in Health Science). I work full time and attend college. I have 2 more years left for my bachelor's an then about 3 years in med school once I get in which can take a couple of years, so that's 2+3+2=7 years form now and I've already been there 5 years. So, by the time I leave I'll have worked there for a total of 12 years (5 that i already have + the 7 i have to come). I am just trying to understand if I am spinning my wheels for this company. This is a large company and no one wants to be honest with me about anything. I don't like doing the same amount, and in most cases more, work than the person next to me and making $7,500 less a year. It's unethical, in my opinion, to have someone do a job without the pay.
I'm sorry, but an online degree in Health Sciences won't cut it for medical school. I'm doubt it even covers the prereqs. Impossible. Won't happen. Sorry.

The first thing I would do is not tell anybody from work that you are going to medical school. Those in the know will view you as 'uniformed'.

Why don't you get a degree in what's related to your job? You seem to be doing well there. If medical school is really your goal, then I can tell you exactly what you need to do, but at the current pace, your wasting $ on schooling and apparently putting yourself behind at your job.

Sorry to be so blunt. Just trying to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 10:19 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherie2 View Post

Is it likely that I am being turned down for promotions because I am going to school to be a physician?
Maybe it's been addressed so sorry if this is redundant, but yes, it is quite likely.

I know that you don't consider yourself a flight risk because you plan to be there for several years yet, but look at it from their perspective: What if by promoting you they have to pass over another candidate who might plan to make it a career? That person may choose to leave for something else, and the company is left hoping that another good candidate will come along before you leave. If they go ahead and promote that person now they probably won't have to deal with filling that slot in 5-6 years.

Not saying you have no chance of being promoted, just that your situation will pull you down a little and give candidates with very similar qualifications an edge. If you hang in there an opportunity will come up sooner or later where you are head and shoulders above the rest and they'll give you the promotion.;
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment