Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 09:47 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,010,863 times

Advertisements

I've worked in some toxic environments, managers who do nothing, managers who treat good workers like crap, employees who come to work thinking "what can I do to make other people's lives miserable?" etc.

There is a fine line between doing a good job, working hard, being nice, and taken advantage of. You need to keep your eyes open to see if those people really need help and how HR and your managers react to you helping out.

A coworker recently started asking me to help him, and at first I was, but then realized he was sitting online while I was working and even doing his stuff! After that I stopped saying I'd help and let him do it himself. My other coworker also told me don't help him because he doesn't need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 08:57 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,703,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
I can't imagine what goes on inside the heads of management, how they can live with themselves knowing they're letting a situation like that continue.Y.
Quite simply, the bottom line. Principles, morals, ethics, fairness? Get that spit outta here as far as they're concerned.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:07 AM

33 posts, read 44,524 times
If your a fighter for justice, your as good as gone. You're worse than a person that costs the company money. The wicked hate being exposed and struck down, you have to fight by their rules.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:44 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,703,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmanx View Post
If your a fighter for justice, your as good as gone. You're worse than a person that costs the company money. The wicked hate being exposed and struck down, you have to fight by their rules.
I've learned this THE HARD WAY with my current employer.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:51 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,844,307 times
Quote:
This is the truest statement. They don't want to change and they don't want to know they have to change. And even though you're good and they're wicked, and you're just trying to do the right thing, they paint YOU as the wicked one because you're "forcing" them into the light. You're exposing them. So you're the "bad" person.

Old 09-13-2013, 04:58 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Quote:
Definitely happened to me at my last job. But karma worked in my favor eventually.

I have definitely worked with awesome people that have been incredibly supportive and that have helped me out in so many ways. I hope my new job is the same.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:11 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Ok, here is a comment that I am about to make that will probably raise some objections, but here goes. I think a workplace with a lot of women tends to be a little more on the "competitive side" than one where it is mostly or all men. Men seem to go to work and just want to get through the day without any problems while women seem to not get along with other females very well. When I worked in businesses where it was staffed by mainly women there seemed to be a lot of infighting and backstabbing.

Sorry if that seems sexist or just a general statement, but it is just something I have found over my 50 years of working. Let the beatings begin !

Don
I think that is only true IF the men aren't looking to get ahead or advance their careers. In the cutthroat office environment that I work in - both sexes are busy creating networks; sucking up to the bosses; whispering disparaging comments about their competition; sizing each other up; and backstabbing.

Yeah - it's a tough world out there in Corporate America - for BOTH sexes.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:13 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
I mean - this is SO true. Anyone expecting 'fairness' or 'justice' in the workplace is sadly misguided. You drink the Kool-Aid AND pass it out in little cups if you are in management.

You dare say nothing.

Old 09-14-2013, 05:55 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,844,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
You drink the Kool-Aid AND pass it out in little cups if you are in management.
The sad truth. I've seen management retain total arrogant d-bags just because they project the image of "power" that the company wants to promote. Meanwhile, good people are overlooked because - for shame! - they aren't manipulative, self-promoting liars. The culture is so backwards and it's not going to change. I really think you either learn to play the game, or you're on your own.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:22 PM

361 posts, read 921,967 times
Office Space came out like 15 years ago and Wall Street came out like 30. If you saw that and wanted to enter the corporate world I think that's your own fault. You were given plenty fair warning what it would be like. Only the most alpha of the alphas can make it there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment