Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 06:24 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,844,712 times

Advertisements

In today's workplace, all I've been seeing lately is a dog-eat-dog mentality. It's not about helping people so that you build a better team, it's about helping yourself. It's like nobody gives two ****s about kindness or ethics anymore - it's all about selling yourself, looking better than the other person, and getting as much as you can.

The people who are kind in my workplace - or at least those who don't put up a tough exterior - are totally taken for granted. It doesn't matter that they're kind, ethical people who do the right thing. What matters to management is that they're not the ones who "play the game" and engage in workplace politics and fuel the corporate image (or should I say, corporate ego). My boss has made it clear to me that she sees these people as "nice to have, but pretty much useless".

It's like management doesn't care how you win, they just care that you win. They want the image of a star employee, minus the substance. And minus the morals.

Maybe it is true - the workplace is like high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 06:35 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,770,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
Maybe it is true - the workplace is like high school.
It is like never leaving high school in a way, some people are just awful in the workplace. You have to play games sometimes and always wear a smile on your poker face at work.

#1 Rule: Put your own interests above those of others. Some people will throw you under the bus in order to make themselves look good and make you look "bad" at the same time. Trust no one at work, and stay above the politics as much as you possibly can. If you do these things right and someone is in your corner (usually in management), you will probably get ahead of others without stepping on others.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:50 PM

23,516 posts, read 23,995,040 times
That is what it has become, sadly. Our sorry economy (which is from our sad leadership in this country) has contributed to this.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:54 PM

503 posts, read 1,171,979 times
Soon employers will stop offering wages and start offering the bare minimum.

"How much is it to rent the worst room?"
"How much is the minimum on your bills?"
"How much is the minimum you can live on for food?"

Then they'll use it as tax write offs for "charitable donations" and call their employees volunteers or students.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
Trust no one at work, and stay above the politics as much as you possibly can.
I have been doing my best to stay out of the never-ending politics at work, and management recognizes it, which is great. I do my job well and keep toxic people away from me. But it sincerely bothers me that these people don't get called out on their ****.

The best bosses I've had have been the ones who are secure enough within themselves where they don't need a harem of followers and don't respond positively to brown-nosing. I love independent, genuinely confident bosses. The weak ones are the ones who use their employees to puff up their ego.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:30 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,205,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkInTheRoad View Post
Soon employers will stop offering wages and start offering the bare minimum.

"How much is it to rent the worst room?"
"How much is the minimum on your bills?"
"How much is the minimum you can live on for food?"

Then they'll use it as tax write offs for "charitable donations" and call their employees volunteers or students.
Funny, but not so much. I just heard today from a friend at my previous job that now, when someone has extra time and offers their help in another department, HR catches up with them and cuts their pay $2 - $3 an hour BC they think they don't have enough to do.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:42 PM

23,516 posts, read 23,995,040 times
Well said! I wish all workplaces were like yours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
I have been doing my best to stay out of the never-ending politics at work, and management recognizes it, which is great. I do my job well and keep toxic people away from me. But it sincerely bothers me that these people don't get called out on their ****.

The best bosses I've had have been the ones who are secure enough within themselves where they don't need a harem of followers and don't respond positively to brown-nosing. I love independent, genuinely confident bosses. The weak ones are the ones who use their employees to puff up their ego.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Well said! I wish all workplaces were like yours!
Oh, my current workplace has its issues. I've just learned the tactics to keep the office scum away from me! I'm still looking for another job though.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:56 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,130,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
Funny, but not so much. I just heard today from a friend at my previous job that now, when someone has extra time and offers their help in another department, HR catches up with them and cuts their pay $2 - $3 an hour BC they think they don't have enough to do.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:10 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,842,817 times
Being overly kind to coworkers in the corporate world gets you nowhere.

Kindness is seen as weakness by the game players. They use it to their advantage and figure you are an easy target that won't fight back, so they bully you at every opportunity until you either quit or get fired.

It reminds me of when you are driving on the freeway and you put on your turn signal to change lanes. Instead of letting you in, the car in the next lane sees your turn signal and speeds up to block you.

After encountering this so many times, you get in the habit of changing lanes without signaling. You just move over without warning because you assume the guy in the lane next to you will be an ass hole and not let you in.

It's like that at work. After dealing with so many vicious sociopaths and not knowing who you can trust, you stop going out of your way to be polite to your coworkers. You just keep interactions with coworkers to a minimum, do your job, and leave at the end of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment