Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 09:48 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,327 times

Advertisements

So let's say a boss does not like their employee nor the work they are doing. The boss gives the employee a hard time and sometimes calls the person out in front of the whole team (sometimes well deserved). Then the boss is also hiring someone else for a position that is very very similar to the disliked person's position and the fact is it's not necessary for two people to have to do the work, one is fine.

This is happening on my team. Are these tell tale signs that the person might be let go? Who has experienced similar situations? Please share!

I guess I am trying to decipher what is going without getting involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 09:55 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
If it looks like a dog, smells like a dog, and sounds like a dog, would you suggest it's a cat?

Of course they are looking to offload the weakest link. Exactly what any reasonable employer would move to do.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:55 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,165,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
So let's say a boss does not like their employee nor the work they are doing. The boss gives the employee a hard time and sometimes calls the person out in front of the whole team (sometimes well deserved). Then the boss is also hiring someone else for a position that is very very similar to the disliked person's position and the fact is it's not necessary for two people to have to do the work, one is fine.

This is happening on my team. Are these tell tale signs that the person might be let go? Who has experienced similar situations? Please share!

I guess I am trying to decipher what is going without getting involved.
Unless there is truly a need for two people, I'd say that might be the case. But I am truly an outsider and would need more info to be 100% sure.

The employee being made a fool of needs to find an employer that will respect and value them. I would plan to get out if I were them and not wait to get terminated. That's no way to live.

There's a difference between quietly letting someone go who is repeatedly not fulfilling their duties and making them a fool in front of everybody. It's distasteful and poor management at best. That will demotivate the entire team eventually.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:57 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,029 times
I would also look to leave if I were that employee. It's easy to see IMO when you are not a good fit.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw36 View Post
Unless there is truly a need for two people, I'd say that might be the case. But I am truly an outsider and would need more info to be 100% sure.

The employee being made a fool of needs to find an employer that will respect and value them. I would plan to get out if I were them and not wait to get terminated. That's no way to live.

There's a difference between quietly letting someone go who is repeatedly not fulfilling their duties and making them a fool in front of everybody. It's distasteful and poor management at best. That will demotivate the entire team eventually.
Truth be told this person is just not doing the work. Misses deadlines, misses goals, repeatedly.

This is the thing, they slashed budgets and our team is short staffed. My boss, the head of the dept, is trying to get as much support as possible (admin support) from the execs to approve because in a way we are so busy and desperately need it. Me and my boss work about 50 hours a week, sometimes 60 because we are shortstaffed. The third member of our team is doing an ok job. She gets done what she needs to, but doesn't bring very much else. This employee I am talking about is not helping and is not producing work.

I think the issue is that because we are looking to get some much support and are so shortstaffed, that firing an employee like that really hurts my bosses case that we need more people for our team. I am thinking that is what the delay is.

My boss also has given the employee tough love as you will say. For example, we have our weekly meeting where we discuss what we have accomplished and what are our priorties. This employee every week never gets it done so the boss will give her a hard time.

The employee is also not well liked in general (starting with me). When someone has a business trip she asks why she can't go even when it has nothing to do with her. She also brown noses like crazy and admits to it, saying tings like "I am going to buy a gift for John's son so that I can be his favorite employee". Says that kind of stuff flat out to everyone. I think this is the problem. When she first started she came in very arrogantly, overconfident and acted as if she owned the place. This turned off a lot of people. Problem is she needs a lot of people to get her work done, and I think cause they don't like her they don't make it easy for her. So in a way she is kind of screwed. I think she has been grounded by my boss a bit, but I feel like the damage has been done.

She is now trying to get into my territory of work, because my area has been very successful and heavily praised. I will give her a chance, but I have also made clear to her that this is my territory.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:24 PM

23,533 posts, read 24,022,219 times
That person that the boss does not like WILL be let go, and very soon. Count on it.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
That person that the boss does not like WILL be let go, and very soon. Count on it.
Yeah. I guess I have just never seen it unfold like this in front of me. I am pretty sure that the new position we are filling that is extremely similar to this employee I speak of, is so later down the road the newer one can take over the one that is not fulfilling the duties.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:29 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,165,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Truth be told this person is just not doing the work. Misses deadlines, misses goals, repeatedly.

This is the thing, they slashed budgets and our team is short staffed. My boss, the head of the dept, is trying to get as much support as possible (admin support) from the execs to approve because in a way we are so busy and desperately need it. Me and my boss work about 50 hours a week, sometimes 60 because we are shortstaffed. The third member of our team is doing an ok job. She gets done what she needs to, but doesn't bring very much else. This employee I am talking about is not helping and is not producing work.

I think the issue is that because we are looking to get some much support and are so shortstaffed, that firing an employee like that really hurts my bosses case that we need more people for our team. I am thinking that is what the delay is.

My boss also has given the employee tough love as you will say. For example, we have our weekly meeting where we discuss what we have accomplished and what are our priorties. This employee every week never gets it done so the boss will give her a hard time.

The employee is also not well liked in general (starting with me). When someone has a business trip she asks why she can't go even when it has nothing to do with her. She also brown noses like crazy and admits to it, saying tings like "I am going to buy a gift for John's son so that I can be his favorite employee". Says that kind of stuff flat out to everyone. I think this is the problem. When she first started she came in very arrogantly, overconfident and acted as if she owned the place. This turned off a lot of people. Problem is she needs a lot of people to get her work done, and I think cause they don't like her they don't make it easy for her. So in a way she is kind of screwed. I think she has been grounded by my boss a bit, but I feel like the damage has been done.

She is now trying to get into my territory of work, because my area has been very successful and heavily praised. I will give her a chance, but I have also made clear to her that this is my territory.
Your boss just doesn't sound like she manages very well.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:14 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,350,826 times
Quote:

This is good advice. After working for a law firm for many years, getting great reviews and regular raises, the partners brought in two new (a secretary and associate) hires who did not like me. The secretary did not like me from the get go, and I'm positive she had a hand in the way the associate eventually treated me. Those two used to hang out and gossip like a couple of fish wives. I was no longer a good fit, and the demeaning and nit picking started. The partner whom I worked for directly and had a relaxed friendly working relationship with became aloof and critical. The workplace environment became very toxic. Then they cut my salary and my hours to part time and took away my paid holidays and most of my vacation. The final straw was when they had me take over some of the cleaning lady's duties (they cut her to twice a month). I had to clean the rest rooms and empty the trash. I was just too blind and stupid to see that they wanted to get rid of me - I thought that my ten years of hard work for them protected me. What a delusional fool I was. They eventually terminated me and brought in someone else. She lasted ten months. Three years later, I found out that my old position is again open.

If the writing is on the wall, take heed. There's nothing you can do about it. Keep your dignity and leave.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:40 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,399,291 times
Quote:
Your boss just doesn't sound like she manages very well.
Yep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment