Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 10:16 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,511,158 times

Advertisements

hang in there........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 11:17 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,867 times
Yes, good advice, hang in there. If, after two weeks, it is not a good choice, you can back out without much damage. Better to leave quickly, than to wait it out for months like I did! But hopefully, will be a good position for you. Think positive, until or unless you can see otherwise.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:50 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,788,118 times
That's what my husband said, and I agree, I guess...try it and see. I've just been through so much. Oh how I dread the drama and stress and the B.S.

Hopefully there won't be any drama queens to deal with, or any carnivores or barracudas!!!!!!

Old 11-14-2007, 07:06 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,867 times
If you are RN, you don't have to do just floor work. What about home health? Or working for insurance company, like BCBS. A friend of mine did that, as she was sick and tired of the backbreaking, thankless work and hospital politics. It was dull but she didn't have to deal with the psychopathology that goes along with most hospital/clinic jobs out there.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:26 PM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
I was laid off following 9/11 after 20+ years at a blue chip company. Earned my way from entry level clerk to mid-manager. The layoff was a little troubling as I had worked there since I was 18 years old. After a few years trying out a different field, I decided to go back to my customer service / order management roots and went to work in another new industry.

My starting pay was about 30% less than I made at the blue chip; but now I'm home at 6PM every night, no travel, leave the office behind when I go home, and I've earned 6-7% merit raises each year since I got there. Hmmm, almost the same salary, but almost no hassles / frustration, etc. It can be done!

Last edited by Stripes17; 11-17-2007 at 08:30 PM.. Reason: syntax

Old 11-18-2007, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
I was laid off following 9/11 after 20+ years at a blue chip company. Earned my way from entry level clerk to mid-manager. The layoff was a little troubling as I had worked there since I was 18 years old. After a few years trying out a different field, I decided to go back to my customer service / order management roots and went to work in another new industry.

My starting pay was about 30% less than I made at the blue chip; but now I'm home at 6PM every night, no travel, leave the office behind when I go home, and I've earned 6-7% merit raises each year since I got there. Hmmm, almost the same salary, but almost no hassles / frustration, etc. It can be done!
You have a positive thing I do not have. I am single, so I don't have anyone else to lean on when the going gets tough. If I get fired, it's solely my income.
Married people have each other's income to back each other up. You won't be out on the street.
Single people don't have that.
I hope things work out for you though.

Old 11-18-2007, 12:15 PM

28 posts, read 77,162 times
I quit teaching after 13+ years -- dangerous, sucked all my time and energy, and I felt it was ruining my health. Now I've been out for almost a year and need to really figure out what's next. You're right, Nebulous; it's helpful to have a spouse...but then again I've been able to vacillate too much and that's not always good either! Are there expenses that can honestly be eliminated or downsized while you consider leaving the stress? For instance, we got rid of one car and are doing just fine...and I'm hoping to get rid of the second one soon, too, and to live in a walkable area. Also, you might be able to live in a smaller/cheaper place...and maybe you have skills you can barter or sell if/when you transition to make it easier. Or, maybe you can get some new skills fairly easily or cheaply, too, in advance of a possible change. Hang in there!!!

Old 11-18-2007, 03:16 PM

I have one car and it gets me to work.
There are no busses here.
I can't downsize, as my rent is very reasonable. Don't want to move and take my son out of his school either.
I have no skills to barter. There are no jobs like that here. I work 10 hours a day, and I have a 2 hour commute, so I don't have time to do other things.
Marketable skills don't come by easily. I have 2 college degrees, but what matters is if your skills are in demand.
I am still paying off one loan, and I can't afford to quit school and go back again. Jeesh, I have been back to school so many times...3 times now, and each time I pick something in demand, in a year or two, the job market changes!
I can't afford to take a low pay job, it won't pay the rent, bills, food, insurance, car, you name it. Well, the car is paid for, bought it used years ago, but you know all the expenses.
When women are married, they have a different view of working, it is a supplemental income, but here, I am the breadwinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment