U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-10-2013, 05:01 PM
 
3,119 posts, read 4,063,019 times
Reputation: 2547

Advertisements

I'm so sick of stupid studies on employment that contradict themselves.

One study says unemployment among recent college grads is 50% [url]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/10/college-graduates-full-time-jobs-study_n_1496827.html[/url]
"Of all those who have graduated college since 2006, only 51 percent have a full-time job, according to a Rutgers University study released Thursday."

While others show that the majors with the WORST unemployment for recent grads are only 10.5% [url=http://www.forbes.com/sites/jennagoudreau/2012/10/11/the-10-worst-college-majors/]The 10 Worst College Majors - Forbes[/url]
"Topping the list at No. 1, anthropology and archeology represent the worst choice of college major in economic terms. Recent college graduates of the major, those ages 22 to 26, can expect an unemployment rate of 10.5%, well above the national average."
Maybe they didn't take into account part time jobs or jobs unrelated to their major?


Then there are studies that show 50% unemployment among nursing graduates, yet there is this huge supposed shortage of nurses.
[url]http://money.cnn.com/2013/01/14/news/economy/nursing-jobs-new-grads/index.html[/url]
[url]http://triblive.com/business/headlines/4138310-74/majors-graduates-college#axzz2VrEuNwRm[/url]

“Hard Times, College Majors, Unemployment and Earnings 2013: Not All College Degrees are Created Equal” notes that the unemployment rate for recent nursing graduates is 4 percent."

"A survey by the National Student Nurse's Association showed 36% of newly licensed RNs graduating in 2011 were not working as registered nurses four months after graduation."
"In California, the problem looks even worse. About 43% of newly licensed RNs there still did not have jobs within 18 months after graduation, according to a separate 2011 survey conducted by the California Institute for Nursing & Health Care. "



Theres a shortage of tradesmen, yet they have unemployment in the high teens or higher.

The contradictions are unbelievable. Apparently there's no unemployment for people who make studies, although there should be.

Last edited by jman07; 06-10-2013 at 05:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-10-2013, 05:16 PM
 
503 posts, read 995,686 times
Reputation: 409
I love when people hear my age and say "maybe you didn't get the job because you asked about pay during the interview?" When I tell people I never discuss pay unless I'm forced to, they seem confused. Then they say "well don't apply to big jobs and expect to get th just because you have a degree." I explain to them I'm applying to places like Macy's or Petco. They say "for management?" "No, for the cashier position." Again, they're baffled.

It's as if I'm expected to act my age in a negative way. Maybe Macy's would hire me if I purposely failed the personality rest, put no work or education besides high school and went to an interview in jeans, because that's what a lot of people these days seem to assume I do.

Maybe I should use text speak and poor grammar too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2013, 05:46 PM
 
6,762 posts, read 9,742,757 times
Reputation: 5054
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
I'm so sick of stupid studies on employment that contradict themselves.

One study says unemployment among recent college grads is 50% Half Of Recent College Graduates Lack Full-Time Job, Study Says
"Of all those who have graduated college since 2006, only 51 percent have a full-time job, according to a Rutgers University study released Thursday."

While others show that the majors with the WORST unemployment for recent grads are only 10.5% The 10 Worst College Majors - Forbes
"Topping the list at No. 1, anthropology and archeology represent the worst choice of college major in economic terms. Recent college graduates of the major, those ages 22 to 26, can expect an unemployment rate of 10.5%, well above the national average."
Maybe they didn't take into account part time jobs or jobs unrelated to their major?


Then there are studies that show 50% unemployment among nursing graduates, yet there is this huge supposed shortage of nurses.
For nursing jobs, new grads need not apply - Jan. 14, 2013
Study: Nursing grads find jobs with relative ease | TribLIVE

“Hard Times, College Majors, Unemployment and Earnings 2013: Not All College Degrees are Created Equal” notes that the unemployment rate for recent nursing graduates is 4 percent."

"A survey by the National Student Nurse's Association showed 36% of newly licensed RNs graduating in 2011 were not working as registered nurses four months after graduation."
"In California, the problem looks even worse. About 43% of newly licensed RNs there still did not have jobs within 18 months after graduation, according to a separate 2011 survey conducted by the California Institute for Nursing & Health Care. "



Theres a shortage of tradesmen, yet they have unemployment in the high teens or higher.

The contradictions are unbelievable. Apparently there's no unemployment for people who make studies, although there should be.
While there is a shortage of nurses, it is partly fueled by employers only wanting to hire the experienced. Older nurses are also returning to work and delaying retirement. Some hospitals have faced funding cuts and have resorted to making the nurses they do have work more hours. The Georgetown Study that says that there is only a 4% unemployment rate among recent grads does not say if they are all working in their field. The other study says that 36% of nurses aren't working as nurses within 4 months of graduating. This doesn't really contradict the Georgetown study.

Since the Rutgers study implies that part-time employment counts as being employed, then I'm assuming the Georgetown study used a similar definition.

The Rutgers study says:

Quote:
Eleven percent are unemployed or not working at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2013, 05:55 PM
 
503 posts, read 995,686 times
Reputation: 409
There's a nurse shortage, make more nurses!

Hmmm, sounds like:

There's a money shortage, print more money!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2013, 06:01 PM
 
3,119 posts, read 4,063,019 times
Reputation: 2547
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
While there is a shortage of nurses, it is partly fueled by employers only wanting to hire the experienced. Older nurses are also returning to work and delaying retirement. Some hospitals have faced funding cuts and have resorted to making the nurses they do have work more hours. The Georgetown Study that says that there is only a 4% unemployment rate among recent grads does not say if they are all working in their field. The other study says that 36% of nurses aren't working as nurses within 4 months of graduating. This doesn't really contradict the Georgetown study.

Since the Rutgers study implies that part-time employment counts as being employed, then I'm assuming the Georgetown study used a similar definition.

The Rutgers study says:

So then as far as the Nursing study, aren't the makers of the study obligated to reveal that the 4% unemployment rate includes graduates not working in nursing. Isn't this misleading? They are implying that they are working in nursing and that is dishonest to the ignorant general public. People are choosing to go into nursing based on information like that. People are basically saying "there's a shortage of nurses. I'm guaranteed a job." THen they spend 4 years of their lives and thousands of dollars on a misleading lie. They even say it on the news. Why aren't these studies looked at more closely and analyzed by the news organizations before they report them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2013, 06:11 PM
 
6,762 posts, read 9,742,757 times
Reputation: 5054
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
So then as far as the Nursing study, aren't the makers of the study obligated to reveal that the 4% unemployment rate includes graduates not working in nursing. Isn't this misleading? They are implying that they are working in nursing and that is dishonest to the ignorant general public. People are choosing to go into nursing based on information like that. People are basically saying "there's a shortage of nurses. I'm guaranteed a job." THen they spend 4 years of their lives and thousands of dollars on a misleading lie. They even say it on the news. Why aren't these studies looked at more closely and analyzed by the news organizations before they report them?
It also doesn't say if those in graduate school are counted as unemployed. There might be a lot of nurses looking to become clinical nurse specialists, nurse administrators, nurse educators, nurse anesthetists, or nurse practitioners either because they want to or because they can't find a job. One of those articles mentioned a survey of 55 University of Akron graduates in nursing.

Quote:
Buchanan, the UA nursing administrator, said all 55 of the spring 2012 nursing graduates who responded to a UA survey are working in their field or are attending graduate school.

Read more: Study: Nursing grads find jobs with relative ease | TribLIVE
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook
It's odd how they left out how many are in graduate school. One would think that it would be important information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2013, 11:47 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
25,379 posts, read 14,485,848 times
Reputation: 9205
I point to the red wine studies that every other week you hear about. One it is good for heart health and the next it isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkInTheRoad View Post
I love when people hear my age and say "maybe you didn't get the job because you asked about pay during the interview?" When I tell people I never discuss pay unless I'm forced to, they seem confused. Then they say "well don't apply to big jobs and expect to get th just because you have a degree." I explain to them I'm applying to places like Macy's or Petco. They say "for management?" "No, for the cashier position." Again, they're baffled.

It's as if I'm expected to act my age in a negative way. Maybe Macy's would hire me if I purposely failed the personality rest, put no work or education besides high school and went to an interview in jeans, because that's what a lot of people these days seem to assume I do.

Maybe I should use text speak and poor grammar too.
It is nuts. That or most people do not realize how tough it is out there. There is only a few that realize how it is and she works in health insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
While there is a shortage of nurses, it is partly fueled by employers only wanting to hire the experienced. Older nurses are also returning to work and delaying retirement. Some hospitals have faced funding cuts and have resorted to making the nurses they do have work more hours. The Georgetown Study that says that there is only a 4% unemployment rate among recent grads does not say if they are all working in their field. The other study says that 36% of nurses aren't working as nurses within 4 months of graduating. This doesn't really contradict the Georgetown study.

Since the Rutgers study implies that part-time employment counts as being employed, then I'm assuming the Georgetown study used a similar definition.

The Rutgers study says:

Quote:
Eleven percent are unemployed or not working at all.
Wouldn't unemployed conclude that people who are not working (and looking for work.)

Any who, the unemployment issue particularly for youth is tough because we did everything right. We went for any college degree like we told by our parents, teachers, guidance counselors and politicians. We exit and because there aren't jobs we look for work at Target, PetCo and other chains. However we fight for these jobs as well as other unemployed and non-college graduate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2013, 12:00 AM
 
1,871 posts, read 1,574,921 times
Reputation: 2850
Here is a dirty little secret I learned in college statistics. These studies and statistics can and are manipulated. It is a sad reality but unfortunately very true. The US economy is still messed up, contrary to what elected officials want us to believe. Very frustrating about current job market. Happy to be employed when so many are out of jobs.

Charlie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2013, 06:13 AM
 
Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,381 posts, read 50,562,503 times
Reputation: 28605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdude_Charlie View Post
Here is a dirty little secret I learned in college statistics. These studies and statistics can and are manipulated. It is a sad reality but unfortunately very true. The US economy is still messed up, contrary to what elected officials want us to believe. Very frustrating about current job market. Happy to be employed when so many are out of jobs.

Charlie.
Yes, true. I studied statistical analysis in college long ago, and it's fairly easy to do a study within the bounds of scientific method that will prove your point one way or another. People read the headlines and react without knowing the details of what was included or excluded. This book was written in the 50s and I read it in college in the 70s. Nothing has changed except for using computers instead of calculators to compile the data.

How to Lie with Statistics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2013, 09:33 AM
 
Location: Johnson City, Tn
973 posts, read 1,190,071 times
Reputation: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post

Theres a shortage of tradesmen, yet they have unemployment in the high teens or higher.
This needs to be broken down sort of. It depends on what trade and what area your looking at. Look in my area for Welders.... you see the crappy end of the stick. Look at say, North Dakota... plenty of work from what I see and hear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top