Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 08:55 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,752,036 times

Advertisements

Ok, I think I made a mistake. I applied for an out of state job and they are now checking references. I have one reference that I worked with and bloomed into a friendship. I am pretty sure I was careful enough to remove her from my reference list because she would flip out if she knew I was leaving (I plan on telling her, just not yet). I am on vacation and away from my PC to view that reference list. Should I contact HR and ask them not to contact this person or just let it slide? What does a reference check entail? "Is so and so a good employee?" I am just nervous..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 09:02 AM

1,100 posts, read 3,011,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
Ok, I think I made a mistake. I applied for an out of state job and they are now checking references. I have one reference that I worked with and bloomed into a friendship. I am pretty sure I was careful enough to remove her from my reference list because she would flip out if she knew I was leaving (I plan on telling her, just not yet). I am on vacation and away from my PC to view that reference list. Should I contact HR and ask them not to contact this person or just let it slide? What does a reference check entail? "Is so and so a good employee?" I am just nervous..
Let it slide! A reference check could be as little as asking for dates of employment and if the person is re-hirable. Or it can be more extensive with questions such as "Why did he/she leave?" "How long have you known him/her." "What were his/her weaknesses and strengths" "On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate (customer service skills, dependability, professionalism, etc).

Old 06-11-2013, 09:11 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,752,036 times
Ok. I am just worried because she feels that I am going to settle and retire in the city we both live in. She would be caught very much off guard if she got a call!

Old 06-11-2013, 09:19 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,512,680 times
Why don't you call her and tell her there may be a reference call? Don't call the company you are trying to hire on with and tell them. That's crazy. Either let it slide or tell your friend in advance.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:11 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
Ok. I am just worried because she feels that I am going to settle and retire in the city we both live in. She would be caught very much off guard if she got a call!

This is why references are supposed to be notified ahead of time so they WON"T be caught off guard.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:23 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,104,160 times
I think you should tell her she might be called. Everyone I use as a reference knows I'm using them so they won't be surprised if they receive a call asking about me. Plus I think you should have someone's permission to use them as a reference.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:19 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
it sounds like the OP might have this person's permission to be used as a reference, but they've only used her for local job applications before.

i'm also not clear on whether they know that this reference was definitely given for this particular job or not - "I am pretty sure I was careful enough to remove her from my reference list"

OP, you're kind of stuck here - either your friend hears it from you or she hears it from the prospective employer. or you luck out and it turns out you did remember to remove her from the list. asking them not to contact her if you did give her as a reference is not going to make you look good. neither is calling them and asking if you gave someone as a reference when it turns out you didn't. both make you stand out in a bad way.

if you're looking out of town, you're going to have to tell her some time. if i were you, i'd just do it now.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:05 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
You can tell your friend you're just putting out feelers, seeing what the job market is like now, etc, but that she might get a call because you used her as a reference.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:32 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2justynsarah View Post
Let it slide! A reference check could be as little as asking for dates of employment and if the person is re-hirable. Or it can be more extensive with questions such as "Why did he/she leave?" "How long have you known him/her." "What were his/her weaknesses and strengths" "On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate (customer service skills, dependability, professionalism, etc).
Most of those questions are not technically legal, particularly if it is a previous boss for a reference. However it is hard to prove that it was the reason you lost out on the job. It's a bad catch-22 in this case. You didn't get the job due to illegal practices but you can't exactly prove it because it is your word vs. the hiring manager's.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:35 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,903,046 times
Do not involve the potential employer in this petty thing! If I got a call like that I wouldn't hire you no matter what your qualifications
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search