Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2013, 04:05 PM

407 posts, read 828,802 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I am still young (early 20s) and I have been living in Southwest Florida. I plan on staying here after I graduate from college. I' m still a little unsure what I want to pursue. I am interested in majoring in Resort and Hospitality management at FGCU. Does anyone know what kind of positions/career would be available after graduation with a Bachelors in Resort & Hospitality. I'm know there is a large market for this in south Florida.

Any replies would be appreciated and helpful. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 04:21 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
You should go to web sites of major hotel chains and type the degree in the search words to see what kind of jobs come up.

Try Hilton(Hampton Inn and others are within their brand) and Mariott(Courtyard and many others within their brand) and others that have hotels in SW FL. Choice Hotels is another...they have many brands. Also try indeed.com and other general web sites that have all employers listed (not just major chains). Wynn is another chain that has many brands.

Doesn't hospitality also include restaurants and conventions and such? Try searching places that hold convention and weddings and banquets. Disney is a good choice but they aren't in SW FL. There are cruise lines in the Miami area but that's too far for you also.

Also check your convention and visitors bureau and think about your big tourist draws in the area. See if those attractions hire for that degree. Maybe even the airports. Dont forget major restaurant chains.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:29 PM

407 posts, read 828,802 times
Yes, from the research I have done restaurants, airports, and cruise lines are all related to the major. I would prefer to focus on working more in a resort/hotel environment. I'm going to some of the resort employment webpages and try that next.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:03 PM

1,100 posts, read 3,011,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzmanLI View Post
Yes, from the research I have done restaurants, airports, and cruise lines are all related to the major. I would prefer to focus on working more in a resort/hotel environment. I'm going to some of the resort employment webpages and try that next.
I am a recruiter in the restaurant/hospitality industry. My advise to you is to get involved in Restaurant Management as opposed to resort/hotel. It will allow you to have a lot more freedom in terms of finding jobs (and if you ever want to relocate).

I get a lot of resumes from people who have worked in the hotel/resort environment. Unfortunately, I usually can't help them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment