Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2017, 05:37 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,556,641 times

Advertisements

Universal for Single household:

30K poor
50K middle class
60-100K upper middle class

Granted above applies if and only if you are smart with your money and yes you really only need 70-80K to live in NYC by yourself. QOL be **** but again spend money wisely more like invest. Crap example, but their is a lady who made 30K for iunno 6 years saved 100K in those 6 years now own an apartment in a trendy area. **** article cuz broad leached off her Lawyer boyfriend, but I digress you do what you have to do. AKA affordable housing, staying home, relatives, roommates, etc.

Yes rent ridiculous some places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 11:47 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,596,069 times
I guess if you have a job that allows you a safe home, food, affords you to save for retirement your OK. I live in NYC. I earn about 92k. I am paying a mortgage of 1,800 and I have a decent car Altima SV. 2015. There are millions of people who would trade with me and many who would look down on me. Yet, how much of this self doubt we all have about our salaries is because Madison Ave makes us insecure about how much we own or what we wear and drive ?

Old 04-02-2017, 11:22 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,637,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
I guess if you have a job that allows you a safe home, food, affords you to save for retirement your OK. I live in NYC. I earn about 92k. I am paying a mortgage of 1,800 and I have a decent car Altima SV. 2015. There are millions of people who would trade with me and many who would look down on me. Yet, how much of this self doubt we all have about our salaries is because Madison Ave makes us insecure about how much we own or what we wear and drive ?
I don't buy your mushy take on things, most likely because I'm a statistician and recognize that there are quantitative facts that can be inferred from reality. Sure, on some mushy level, a safe home, food, etc are the things which dictate whether someone is doing well. HOWEVER, we have quantitative facts and they can be use to identify what constitutes a good salary, and that is true regardless of whether or not Madison Ave is pushing some narrative that is centered around wealth creation. Also, you're assuming that there is something inherently wrong with "Madison Aves" narrative.

Weather you like it or not, the answer to two plus two is four....it's not "something between 3.5 and 4.5, as long as it makes you happy". That's just total BS

Old 04-03-2017, 07:27 AM

106 posts, read 122,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilksFavoriteCookie View Post
Universal for Single household:

30K poor
50K middle class
60-100K upper middle class

Granted above applies if and only if you are smart with your money and yes you really only need 70-80K to live in NYC by yourself. QOL be **** but again spend money wisely more like invest. Crap example, but their is a lady who made 30K for iunno 6 years saved 100K in those 6 years now own an apartment in a trendy area. **** article cuz broad leached off her Lawyer boyfriend, but I digress you do what you have to do. AKA affordable housing, staying home, relatives, roommates, etc.

Yes rent ridiculous some places.
By single household, do you mean one person by themselves or a single family?

If it's just one person by themselves, then those numbers aren't necessarily universal. In my area, a single person making $30k can live quite comfortably because of the low cost of living.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:38 AM

944 posts, read 1,209,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
I don't buy your mushy take on things, most likely because I'm a statistician and recognize that there are quantitative facts that can be inferred from reality. Sure, on some mushy level, a safe home, food, etc are the things which dictate whether someone is doing well. HOWEVER, we have quantitative facts and they can be use to identify what constitutes a good salary, and that is true regardless of whether or not Madison Ave is pushing some narrative that is centered around wealth creation. Also, you're assuming that there is something inherently wrong with "Madison Aves" narrative.

Weather you like it or not, the answer to two plus two is four....it's not "something between 3.5 and 4.5, as long as it makes you happy". That's just total BS
To some extent, as you said on the last page, it is relative. A $45k a year individual income is more than enough in most of the United States to live a relatively decent life. You can buy a house, observing the 2.5x your income rule for mortgages, and have a reliable car along with money left over for discretionary spending. That $45k a year salary, though, is not going to go as far in certain places, even if it does place you above average statistically. What many in this thread are trying to express is that they personally could not live on a certain income, which is why you are observing such a wild divergence from the stats here.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:49 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
South Carolina
Low salary $75,000
Decent Salary $125,000
Enough to consider interrupting retirement $200,000

Old 04-03-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:

Hey I understand figures. Yet, number value doesn't objectively translate into what is considered " Good or bad ". Two people in NYC making 95k per year will interpret that differently, or 125k. I make 95 for example with a home and car. I think I am doing well. Someone else will say I am not. Question is why ?. Your argument is I guess the more you earn the better. Yet from a statistical prospective how much is enough to ensure happiness and self contentment ?

Old 04-04-2017, 01:24 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
A good salary is $150,000.

A great salary is $200,000+

An Amazing salary is $250,000 and more.

I don't care about anything lower than the above numbers.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:

Also Madison Ave is pushing a narrative that can easily refuted by asking " Do I really need what the commercial is selling in order to be happy ".Madison Ave exists to tell you that you must have what is advertised to fulfil a short or long term want. Advertising is not designed to sell you on what you need. Why for eample Nissan or Ford, they hire firms to help them to buy more and more expensive appliances, which what cars are. So a person who buys a 25,000 car is doing twice as well as a person who buys a 12,500 and a person with a 50,000 car is better ... For everyone who listens to a radio, sees advertisements on TV and computer, print etc we are all more or less effected by that message that more is better, that more makes you better. Thus, the more you make your are better as that makes it possible for you to buy more. Call that mushy thinking if you like. But I wonder if people could be more happy with their lives of they just ask do I have enough of what I need and to be grateful for what they have. So from a statistical point of you, how much monetary value, does being happy and honest about what they need and want have ?

Old 04-08-2017, 12:47 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,556,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by as111 View Post
By single household, do you mean one person by themselves or a single family?

If it's just one person by themselves, then those numbers aren't necessarily universal. In my area, a single person making $30k can live quite comfortably because of the low cost of living.
it's relative as to what 1 considers a "good" living and if we must use a statistic in order to conduct a case study with least amount of bias, check ur states QOL aka Quality of Life. If it's subpar guarantee 9/10 salary is the issue. Its not a correlation, but a direct relationship Money = Happiness.

Only stupid liberals started this money doesn't make you happy crap. Anyone is happy if they don't have to worry about light bill next month. Ironically more wealth aka financial health has been linked to reduce stress overall.

The never ending hypocrisy amongst those who have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment