Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 02:32 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,740,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by countofmc View Post
Because all retail workers are lazy, rude, and don't take any pride in their work and treat customers like an inconvenience instead of guests, which they are.

See what I just did there? Stereotypes go both ways.
Yeah...except for the fact that the OP didn't say "ALL customers."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Also, I was a cashier and then a supervisor of cashiers. When it was slow, you sent the cashiers to straighten up shelves or do pricing (back then there were actual price stickers that you applied with a handheld thing made for that purpose. Bar codes weren't around yet.) When there were more than three customers lined up at the register, you called the cashiers back to open up another register. I can't tell you how many times I've been in a store and the register is backed up yet 20 feet away there are "sales associates" leaning back and having a leisurely conversation while one person handles all the customers. Yes, it's probably bad management, but couldn't these others step up on their own to help? If there is some stupid rule that prevents them from working a register, at least make yourself disappear so you don't make the store look stupid.
It's an HR/budgeting issue.

Not all stores have the budget to just open new cash registers at their whim, nor can all stores just re-assign a sales associate to cashier duties at their whim.

And as always, it's not the fault of the minimum wage lackey some customers like to abuse, but instead it goes back to management, quite likely the management at HQ and not the store management.

It has nothing to do with being spiteful. The customers just aren't that important or special for them to play childish games with. They see hundreds of thousands of customers every day, and probably won't see most of those customers ever again.

Old 06-15-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Entitlement mentality and superiority complex.
For example, you have the customer who want to complain to store management simply because the employee couldn't give them a discount, or because the employee didn't kiss the ground they walk on, or because a certain product was sold out, or because they wouldn't sell alcohol/tobacco to you because you don't have your ID, or because they won't allow you to exchange/return a product after it's been used, or other stupid crap.

The worst store managers are the ones who enable this type of behavior.

I don't blame the employees for being frustrated after having to deal with that all day.

Below is a good site as well to read through (employees describing their experience with "Sucky Customers."

http://www.customerssuck.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Old 06-15-2013, 02:55 PM

That's why I try my best to treat the employees decently.

I don't **** an attitude with them because the line was long, or because they didn't smile, or because they didn't say hi to me, or because I had to wait a few extra minutes for something, or because the management at HQ implemented a policy I don't like. That's something children would do.

As long as fulfill the duties they're paid to fulfill (whether it's showing me where a product is, cashing me out, preparing my food, bagging my groceries, etc.), I'm happy. I figure by just being nice to them, it may make their day dealing with some god awful customers just a little bit better.

The people who engage in the above behavior need to learn how to do the same.

Old 06-15-2013, 03:00 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Yes, we get it. You think that workers should be grateful for any money granted to them by corporate America, and should not have the temerity to stand up and ask for more. People should work really hard for their $9/hour and be gateful.

They should be grateful not to be amongst the unemployed. If they have a Fair Market Value above their present wages, they will find many employers willing to pay. If not, they are at the perfect equilibrium b/w Market Value and wages now.

Old 06-15-2013, 03:06 PM

503 posts, read 1,172,182 times
A note on manufacturer and email coupons:

All the retail jobs I worked for RARELY handled these let alone told us about them. We were only told about in-store coupons and mailings. If somebody came in with a manufacturer's coupon, of course we are going to question if its real because places like 4chan circulate fake ones and tell people to use them at unsuspecting stores.

So we usually call a manager to verify if the cupon can be used. Even if its for a 99 cent bag of Doritos, some managers will still fire you for not following procedure.

Many of these "low" jobs don't allow free judgement, and then workers who don't care make us look bad because everybody then assumes everyone wearing a name tag sporting "associate" is just as idiotic.

Old 06-15-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkInTheRoad View Post

All the retail jobs I worked for RARELY handled these let alone told us about them. We were only told about in-store coupons and mailings. If somebody came in with a manufacturer's coupon, of course we are going to question if its real because places like 4chan circulate fake ones and tell people to use them at unsuspecting stores.

So we usually call a manager to verify if the cupon can be used. Even if its for a 99 cent bag of Doritos, some managers will still fire you for not following procedure.

Many of these "low" jobs don't allow free judgement, and then workers who don't care make us look bad because everybody then assumes everyone wearing a name tag sporting "associate" is just as idiotic.
A lot of stores (granted not all) tend to have it set up where the computer won't scan fake coupons, based on the barcodes.

A lot of the Chaldean-owned markets in Detroit don't accept coupons printed from the computer at all.

Old 06-15-2013, 03:18 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkInTheRoad View Post

I understand that. It is a hard place to be in, I am not denying that. I only get these through reporting defective products. We got them in the mail due to reporting a defective bag. My parents do it all the time because take Thanksgiving a year or two ago, a Stove-top bag was pre-opened. So we lost one bag for the stuffing. My issue is "Don't ask some one is this real?" I understand there are "fakes" out there but you can always take the customer at face value and you can take notes on how the person looks so if you find it was a fake, you can report them. I know remember an issue like this with fake traveler checques that the person got in trouble with it. Due to company policy we were told to "slow the transaction down" so that we could not details to make a proper match if a complaint would happen.

Old 06-15-2013, 03:45 PM

503 posts, read 1,172,182 times
Quote:
A lot of stores (granted not all) tend to have it set up where the computer won't scan fake coupons, based on the barcodes.

A lot of the Chaldean-owned markets in Detroit don't accept coupons printed from the computer at all.
The coupon codes weren't unique where I worked. You could easily walk behind a counter and grab them or know somebody on the inside and viola.

Always ask "do you have this week's coupons, I left them in the car" if you don't have any. Usually associates are trained to honor "seemingly sincere requests, especially for repeat customers you recognize."

But don't be mad if they say no. They're also told not to proactively offer coupons or to not honor requests so it doesn't look like they're handing out coupons to anybody and everybody.

Also, expired coupons are the same way. Sometimes we will or won't. It depends on how happy the manager is feeling that day.

We also used to write down the alphanumeric code for coupons. You were able to enter the code without scanning. Don't need the actual paper.

Old 06-15-2013, 05:47 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
It's an HR/budgeting issue.

Not all stores have the budget to just open new cash registers at their whim, nor can all stores just re-assign a sales associate to cashier duties at their whim.

And as always, it's not the fault of the minimum wage lackey some customers like to abuse, but instead it goes back to management, quite likely the management at HQ and not the store management.

It has nothing to do with being spiteful. The customers just aren't that important or special for them to play childish games with. They see hundreds of thousands of customers every day, and probably won't see most of those customers ever again.
But they should. Case in point, I went to a Taco Bell (a fast food location but it is a similar job to retail that employees are looked down on too) near a movie theater after seeing Fast Six and they royally screwed up the order. The cashier didn't read back an order so he forgot to add in brother's nachos, he forgot a taco (my brother got a three taco meal while I got the Doritos Locos box) and the burrito that came with the box had lettuce (I asked for no lettuce.) They ended up giving us the nachos free (.89 cents) but they lost a burrito also. Safe to say, that was the last time I go to that Taco Bell.

The issue is, fast food and retail workers both have these issues. They listen to customers but don't always act right. Don't get me wrong, customers have unrealistic expectations but there are also errors by employees that don't help the dumb retail/fast food worker stereotypes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment