Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 06:39 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,257,915 times

Advertisements

I worked retail for over 5 years all through college and a little bit after. Sometimes I think people get a power trip over it. In retail, the old saying (even though it's f*****g dead wrong) goes that the "customer is always right". I think some people like the fact they can go into a grocery store, be a complete dick to the workers, and will still get the "yes sir/ma'am!" treatment along with every other thing to suck up completely to the idiot customer in hopes that they still come back and spend their money at our store.

That's what my old store taught me. No matter how big of a d-bag the customer is, always make sure that they're right. It was a sight to see a customer be the biggest tool ever and the managers at my store would suck up to them and baby them and make sure they walked out of there assuring that they're the best thing God has ever produced in this world, all in hopes that the idiot customer will come back and at least spend a penny there. Ya know, because a penny from that customer is far more important than standing up for your innocent stock boy who just got reamed by the idiot customer because our store didn't have the brand that the idiot likes, and some reason it's that stock boys fault...some how.

Luckily, I'm out of that job and in a professional office job. Sure, it's not perfect in an office, but it's much better than dealing with power hungry people who have no other power in their life except when they come to a grocery store where their told that no matter how wrong they are, their always right. Heh..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 06:41 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,826,650 times
Because many customers don't work for a living. They have time to harass people who have to work for a living, because they're all getting that welfare check.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:48 PM

417 posts, read 824,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
95% of them will never get beyond minimum wage, so that paycheck at WM is the high point of their lives.

We're all making what we do, long-term, based on choices we made which covered decades of our lives. I find those who couldn't care less about the quality of their work, no matter what they do and what they make, are the lowest life forms on the planet.

The kid who bagged your groceries decades ago, with care to insure he was doing a great job, is no doubt successful far more often now, than the slacker who said "Hey, it's only minimum wage". The latter will be unemployed again and again, no doubt, as he was a slacker than, and no doubt, is a slacker now.
Jesus Christ, lol. You're a bit high-strung their buddy. My God, if you consider them the lowest form of life, I can't imagine what you think of people who don't work and cheat the system.

Also, I can name off hand about 100 actors and actress who were grossly incompetent and now make millions. Truth's in the pudding and not in the just desert.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:03 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by criminaljusticegrad View Post
Jesus Christ, lol. You're a bit high-strung their buddy. My God, if you consider them the lowest form of life, I can't imagine what you think of people who don't work and cheat the system.

Also, I can name off hand about 100 actors and actress who were grossly incompetent and now make millions. Truth's in the pudding and not in the just desert.
Take a course in Reading Comprehension. I am saying all those who don't put effort into to their work, no matter their rank, ocupation, etc..that is the group I am referring to. In that group, we'd find white collar, blue collar, pink collar, retail..folks with Doctorates as well as those without even a G.E.D.

If you are not passionate about any work you do, why in the world would I care how I treated you?

Old 06-16-2013, 09:57 PM

Who are you to judge how someone else sees their work? Unless you're their boss it's none of your business.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:00 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Who are you to judge how someone else sees their work? Unless you're their boss it's none of your business.
If I go to Target tomorrow and come to the counter I expect the cashier to be pleasant and very helpful not NASTY and MISERABLE looking because they have a low paying job

Old 06-16-2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
If I go to Target tomorrow and come to the counter I expect the cashier to be pleasant and very helpful not NASTY and MISERABLE looking because they have a low paying job
I don't think you've ever worked in customer service. Good luck with that.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:11 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
I have worked retail and you have to learn to look annoyed i the stock rooms and not in front of customers and kind of just "take it" from customers, unless they are COMPLETLY in the wrong. Though that situation is kinda rare... If you can fake the happy face, you'll do fine. You can be miserable at home but not at work. The minute you do at work, the customers' views are entirely right...

Old 06-16-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I have worked retail and you have to learn to look annoyed i the stock rooms and not in front of customers and kind of just "take it" from customers, unless they are COMPLETLY in the wrong. Though that situation is kinda rare... If you can fake the happy face, you'll do fine. You can be miserable at home but not at work. The minute you do at work, the customers' views are entirely right...
Oh trust me, customers are completely in the wrong quite a bit.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:29 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,193,808 times
Quote:
That's why I stopped making eye contact with cashiers in fast food and retail because I don't want to see if they are happy or mad. Just ring up my products and let me be on my way. lol
Quote:
How do you know if the cashier is being helpful and pleasant if you don't make eye contact? Also you said you don't care if the cashier is happy or mad, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment