Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 08:31 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,657 times

Advertisements

Damn, Cindy never came back after that crazy burn there. That person just got told.

But seriously, I applied for a part-time job at Queens Library. They want 3-5 years experience for a basic library job.

...Mind blown.

Also, I was going to be hired for a position with Cablevision. I networked through my uncle in New Jersey and he introduced me to a friend who recently obtained an HR position there. She brought me in her office and trained me for the questions the interviewer would ask during the interview. She then told me she would have to email them and find out when my interview will be.

The next thing I know, the job is on hold, along with two other jobs. While the hours (1-10pm) isn't the best hours, I've learned a lesson in being too picky- that you can't be afford to be picky in this economy because there are people out there with NOTHING.

Still, she said she will train me for the position. I'm back on the job hunt yet again.

Quote:
Actually it's under qualified and poorly educated prospective employees who are trying to fabricate the case that employers are being too selective, and thus they cannot land the jobs they'd like to have.
Like everyone else said, that's very ignorant and disgusting. There are people out there who are more than qualified busting their asses to get a foot in the door and can't even get a chance because employers are being overly picky and demanding. Who do you think you are judging people like that?

Get a clue. Really.

Last edited by deposite; 06-17-2013 at 08:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 09:58 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I think we have heard the same fear from many including scientist who are nearing retirement that their just is interest in it. Same for math skills. When we look at education ranking it just keeps going downward.
Citation?

Old 06-17-2013, 10:31 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Cindy isn't wrong.

One thing a lot people miss is that "qualification" <> "credentials". Our technical skill counts only 1/3 of the qualification if that.

If everything comes down to simple technical skill, it would make things a whole lot easier. Unfortunately, we can't do that at all - nobody can.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:55 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Which is nothing more than scurrilous rationalization for offensively immoral self-interest.

Nonsense.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:05 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
What else would you claim?

Old 06-17-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
Actually, to me, it sounds like the 7-degree holder is the one getting burned (or, at least wasting a lot of time and energy). Not that Cindy is bringing a whole lot here, but if 6 degrees still isn't getting 7 Degrees the job s/he wants, s/he's doing it wrong. The only thing being done right is not taking out loans.
The solution is clearly an 8th degree. That's what you need to be competitive these days.

Also, he mentioned distinguished military service, but he wasn't awarded the Medal of Honor. Employers are looking for that candidate who goes "above and beyond."

Old 06-17-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molukai View Post
The fact of the matter, ladies and gentlemen, is the following corollary:

(1) Employers want the best talent.
(2) Employers want to pay the cheapest salaries.

If you want the best talent, you will have to pay for it. But employers instead are fabricating this belief that there is insufficient numbers of qualified talent. They are simply refusing to pay due compensation to the talent that they wish to have. I love how everyone wants to hate the government for 'no jobs'. Instead, hate the businesses that would rather hire a foreigner that is willing to be paid far less for highly specialized/technical work than we do. Mind blown? Yes.
i agree.

i'd be curious to see what these so-called "skills shortages" consisted of, exactly, and whether or not wages in that field had been increasing.

logically, if there is a skills shortage, then the statistics should bear that out in the form of higher compensation.

of course, it's possible that there is a "shortage" of the sort of hybrid candidates they want, and that their expectations are just unrealistic. Lately I see a lot of these "hybrid" job listings, where they basically want 2 or 3 discrete skillsets for the price of 1. (e.g. a C++ programmer , with a P.E., and a GISP cert).

Last edited by le roi; 06-17-2013 at 02:07 PM..

Old 06-17-2013, 02:44 PM

427 posts, read 947,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molukai View Post
Heh, Cindy. Since you are directly refuting what I am saying then you are implicitly stating that I am one of those 'underqualified' and 'poorly educated' prospective employees.

Let me school you for a moment.

(1) First and foremost, I am employed, but not in my primary KSAs. I am finding it difficult to get into my desired field, hence why I am working in my secondary field.
(2) I am finishing up my 7th degree (4 bachelors, 3 masters). They are all in interrelated fields and cover 3 of the 4 major fields in demand in the Washington DC area, which is where I also reside. My ENTIRE education has been funded by private and public donors, based on my academic merit. Additionally, I hold additional professional certifications that bolster my capabilities and desirability to employers.
(3) I hold a distiniguished military background and also hold active clearances.
(4) I have been offered many job opportunities in my primary field. They have all been much less than what I am currently making in my secondary field, despite being of comparable positional authority. My difficulty has been in finding worthwhile work in my desired field with a pay at least near par of my current position. Being offered <70K with my capabilities in my field is simply not acceptable if the position is in the DC region.

The fact of the matter is, you don't know what you are talking about. Perhaps that what you are saying is true of lesser regarded positions (e.g. working at Walmart), but I am talking about 'real' careers.
Well, I suppose I know this: You have 7 degrees and can't get a job that pays as much as a BS in Finance from a good school, plus a couple of years experience, at my firm.

From your post it seems that although you have a array of degrees, you've never actually worked for a meaningful period in your "primary field". You keep turning those positions down. In reality, your primary field is actually what you are calling your secondary field.

Last edited by CindyDavis; 06-17-2013 at 03:30 PM..

Old 06-17-2013, 02:47 PM

427 posts, read 947,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
Damn, Cindy never came back after that crazy burn there. That person just told.
"That person just got told."

What are you, 13 years old? I hope you don't speak like that in interviews.

Last edited by CindyDavis; 06-17-2013 at 03:26 PM..

Old 06-17-2013, 05:01 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
There is no skills gap.

Every where I go, I see job descriptions with such narrow requirements, right down to the specific software package that is "required" so that the only people who can measure up are those who already work for the company in question.

Here's just one of the countless emailed jobs I've gotten over the years:

I am currently working with a start up medical device company that is doing a heavy amount of investing in R & D and is looking for a Sr. to Mid Level Mechanical Engineers. This organization has huge growth potential and this is the opportunity to get your foot in the door!!

Qualifications:
Mechanical Engineer:
. Degreed
. 2+yrs medical devices-more complex device-20+ components including metals and plastics
. Solidworks
. DFM/DFA a plus

Sr. Mechanical Engineer:
. Degree
. 5+ yrs design and development exp complex (metals & plastics) reusable medical devices
1. Endoscopes, colonoscopes, articulating laparoscopes, etc
2. Reusable staplers
3. Devices that integrate plastics and sealed cavities (hermetic sealing) in a reusable medical device
4. Familiar with issues associated with autoclaving a complex device
. DFM/DFA highly preferred
. Higher number of components

So... you need to be experienced with a specific CAD tool, a specific narrow field of the medical industry... autoclaving, too, because why not? What else... hermetic sealing, DMF/DFA, etc. Note that there is also strong evidence from the rest of the email that this is nothing but a contract position - engineering degrees aren't worth much these days!

Also, rest assured if you have experience with the "wrong" CAD tool, the "wrong" use of hermetic sealing (I did that in aerospace / defense, but nobody cares), and so on, your resume will not even be considered because there are so many people out of work and desperate for anything to pay their bills.

But, nevermind all that! Let's bring in more illegals, more visa workers, and then blame what's left of the American work force as the nation augers into the dirt one last time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment