Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 11:42 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times

Advertisements

When we travel and are in one hotel room for a few days I always put a "Do not disturb" sign on the door because I don't like anyone coming in while we are there. I do catch the maids and swap out towels though, and we make our own beds each morning. On the last day we are there I leave some money on the dresser and take down the sign so they can clean after we leave. I usually leave about $ 5 per day that we were there.

We don't make a mess and bag up our trash, so the cleanup is pretty straightforward for them.

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 11:59 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,029 times
I guess I'm the only one here who was never heard of tipping the maid... I've never done it. But then again I don't leave my hotel room a mess either.

I mean I tip my server, my hair stylist, the girl who does my eyebrows, when I get my car washed, etc, but now tipping the maid is compulsory?

Old 06-18-2013, 07:18 AM

466 posts, read 815,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
I guess I'm the only one here who was never heard of tipping the maid... I've never done it. But then again I don't leave my hotel room a mess either.

I mean I tip my server, my hair stylist, the girl who does my eyebrows, when I get my car washed, etc, but now tipping the maid is compulsory?
This. I didn't know you were supposed to tips the housekeeping, either, until a few years ago. My parents never did it - I don't think it ever occurred to them. But they tipped other places.

Knowing that now, when I travel for business, I leave a couple of bucks each day and charged it back to the company. But I also keep my room very neat.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:57 AM

50,773 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:

It's not something recent, tipping hotel maids has been standard OP for decades. I usually leave a few dollars for every day I'm there, sometimes more if I'm extra messy or ask for a lot of extra things, or if they take extra good care of me (like bringing me lots of extra coffee packs every day because I asked for extra the first day).

Old 06-18-2013, 08:01 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,615,476 times
Even thought it is tempting, it is not nice to tip them over whilst they are sleeping. You could injure them.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:03 AM

480 posts, read 668,315 times
Quote:
It's not something recent, tipping hotel maids has been standard OP for decades.
I don't agree with this statement.

My wife worked at a national park hotel as a maid for part of one summer in college. She rarely got tips.

My buddy in high school worked for a summer cleaning rooms at a plush hotel in my hometown. I'll ask, but I don't think tips were common.

I've stayed at a lot of Motel 6, Super 8, Ramada Inn hotels, and never left tips. Nor did the folks I was traveling with.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:04 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,702,555 times
Quote:

Even if you don't leave the room a mess, someone is still washing the shower and scrubbing the toilet. I've been tipping hotel maids for years, and so do most people I know.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:10 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,516,810 times
It has been around for decades. Some places leave little envelopes to leave money in. I remember seeing them on family trips when I was a kid. (30 years ago)

I have a hard time tipping everyone from the baggage handler to the maid when I'm paying so much for the room in the first place. I'm sure my personal finances have alot to do with that.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:23 AM

480 posts, read 668,315 times
Quote:
Even if you don't leave the room a mess, someone is still washing the shower and scrubbing the toilet
That's called a job, and you get something called a paycheck when you work at a job.

Do you tip the person who cleans the toilets and washes the showers at your gym? Your office? What about the rest stop bathroom you use? What about if you use the bathroom at the airport? Do you need to tip the cleaner there?

We also have a thing called a minimum wage in this country, and I guarantee you that hotel maids do not make less than many other non-tipped workes. Nor do they work any harder than fast food workers, bank tellers, etc, etc.

I agree if we leave a mess to tip, but if we don't leave a mess, don't ask for extras, and generally take care of the place, I'm not seeing the purpose in leaving a tip. It's not like people that work in other non-tipped professions get paid more.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:31 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,516,810 times
I would consider a tip for things like: They noticed I drank only the caffeinated coffee and used both packets of "cream" and sugar, so left me extras of all of them for the next morning.

What I get is no refill of the cream and sugar, and an extra packet of decaf with no caffeinated. No reason to tip there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment