Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 09:52 AM

1,201 posts, read 4,044,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
I work in GIS as well. Starting pay in the public sector is good, but that is because the only way the public sector gets anyone with talent is by recruiting them fresh out of school. Once you have even a little bit of experience, private sector pay is dramatically higher than public sector in GIS. Since NGA is based here in St Louis, we have an enormous amount of private sector contracting companies. 5 years experience and an advanced degree will land you $100k-$120k per year. Check out glassdoor for Esri.

Esri Salaries | Glassdoor

Now, most of the revenue for these private sector GIS jobs are coming from the public sector, but make no mistake that their pay is much higher than it would be doing the exact same job duties in the public sector.
I also work in GIS. My current job is in the private sector and it's a nice low stress position at a good small company, but I understand the pay is quite low compared to public sector GIS jobs in my area. My job does involve working closely with state and federal agencies.

Locally we have BLM/USFS/NPS/BOR offices, as well as county and city here. I am not planning on leaving my job but I keep my eyes open for local GIS job postings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 10:34 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,296,891 times
I left a job at a government lab because I didn't want to spend my life living and working in a rural area so far away from any major cities. Also, I wanted an academic position and the right job opened up at the right time.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:55 AM

75 posts, read 123,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
I left a job at a government lab because I didn't want to spend my life living and working in a rural area so far away from any major cities. Also, I wanted an academic position and the right job opened up at the right time.
Funny, I am in quite the opposite . I am in a government lab and live very close to a major city (hint: think bay) and the cost of living is making me think of jumping ship. I'd love to find a place where I can call my backyard 'the back 40' and not have it be measured in square feet.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:35 AM

570 posts, read 1,729,335 times
left EDD few year's ago. the reasons are:

1. lazy people
2. Money
3. Need a more creative freedom
4. fixable schedule.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:01 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
Hmm a lot of private sector corporations have very little meritocracy. My last job at a recognizible F50 food conglomerate the place was terrible they treated their workers like complete trash no matter how hard you worked. In the govt you may not get huge bonuses or recognition if you do very well but they also can't [bleep] you terribly either.

At a lot of private sector jobs it is all about who can do a job cheapest and who is budy budy with everyone and the manager would like to go to drinks with (extremely shallow).

Old 06-25-2013, 09:45 AM

123 posts, read 192,670 times
As someone who is working in the private sector I must agree with your analysis. It is truly all about who you know in the private sector. There are so many people in positions of power who are idiots, however they knew the right people. I haven't worked in the public sector, however I have numerous relatives and friends that do. Based on my conversations with them, there is some favoritism however if you come in and do your job, you will more than likely see some advancement in time. I have an interest in public policy and I am currently looking to jump in to the public sector. Having said that I would like to go back to the private sector as a consultant, in due time, mainly due to the money.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:23 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,842,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
At a lot of private sector jobs it is all about who can do a job cheapest and who is budy budy with everyone and the manager would like to go to drinks with (extremely shallow).
Especially the last part. The popular ones (almost always mediocre employees) are the ones who are recognized by management, get the promotions, and are layoff proof.

At my last job, I kept my head down and concentrated on my work from the minute I showed up at work until I left. I was polite to everyone, but I only talked about work while I was at work. The guy in the cubicle next to me was on sports websites half of the day and he was always in the boss's office chatting it up about baseball/football/whatever. He had even had a "talk" at one point about his Internet usage and got a slap on the wrist. Of course when layoff time came I was the one out and not that loser.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:13 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
I will only leave for another government job

Old 09-25-2014, 09:34 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
There is favoritism in govt. jobs too, but it's a little more likely it will be discovered among more neutral higher-ups than possibly a private sector job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment