Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 10:10 AM

192 posts, read 385,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
I love how everyone ignores my other posts.
I haven't seen anyone ignore your other posts. You asked a pointed question - was it legal. Many people have answered that question, but because you don't like the answer, you want to continue to debate it, hoping for a different outcome, perhaps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 10:20 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,514,109 times
I agree that my original question was answered. And nowhere have I protested it anywhere near as much as people are reading into anything I have said.

Nor am I hoping for a different outcome.

Conversations evolve, whats funny is that no one has anything to say about my more recent posts. The original question is of no more curiosity to me.

In any case, since there is actually only ONE person here that said anything useful to me, and without being rude, obnoxious, attacking or insulting me, I'll leave you to whatever it is you think you're doing.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:09 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,207,489 times
Quote:
And I have never in my entire lifetime been covered by insurance of any kind without paying for it FIRST.
Health Insurance can work this way. It is useful because you could have been injured say 5/13 and if the effective date wasn't 5/1, you would have been denied coverage as a pre-exisiting condition.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:53 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Employer (group) insurance is based on monthly coverage. You have a window to sign up and when you sign up, you are covered for that month. Sign up on the 5th, 12th, 18th 24th or 30th and as far as the employer and insurance carrier is concern, you were coveed from the first of that month. It's kind of odd because the insurance companies big concern is paying for coverage when your not insured, but group plans don't work like private plans where you or they select a start date, it's all or nothing for that month. Technically, since the coverage is retro to the first day of that period, you could have waited to the last day and if you got sick or injured, sign up an be covered (however reality is there is a clause that probably could deny coverage for any claim filed befofe you accepted the coverage).

Old 06-20-2013, 07:56 AM

Well I just spoke to payroll, because I was double deducted for the 3rd week in a row, and two of the payments were at a higher rate then I enrolled for. She is looking into that part. However, I mentioned my concerns with this, and said "I guess someday when I quit I will quit at the beginning of the month since that extra month will be paid for." And she said, no, benefits end the end of the week that you quit.

So, I think this will be a good post for indeed.com or glassdoor.com for this company, as a simple education for future employees.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:17 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,397,767 times
That is extremely odd. Definitely get that out there.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:25 AM

Yes, well I'm chalking most of it up to inexperience at having a full time job. I haven't had, nor desired one, since 2005. And I sort of just fell into this one. For me its a means to the end of being able to stock up my savings for my future career in real estate. But I can't get started on that until my pay is correct!

I posted in another thread my frustration at getting my pay raise (my boss didn't put in for it correctly turns out) and it took me weeks just to have the right rate reflected in my regular check. Now I'm also waiting for the retro pay back to 5/20. So between learning my new job (and kicking a$$ at it to prove myself and simply GET that promotion quickly), and trying to be paid correctly, I didn't spend a lot of time worrying about this insurance stuff.

And its certainly a lot different then it was in 2005.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:58 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Well I just spoke to payroll, because I was double deducted for the 3rd week in a row, and two of the payments were at a higher rate then I enrolled for. She is looking into that part. However, I mentioned my concerns with this, and said "I guess someday when I quit I will quit at the beginning of the month since that extra month will be paid for." And she said, no, benefits end the end of the week that you quit.

So, I think this will be a good post for indeed.com or glassdoor.com for this company, as a simple education for future employees.
You sure about that? I mean coverage ending the day yout quit.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:21 PM

The end of the week that you quit. Yes that was what she said.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:47 PM

819 posts, read 3,207,280 times
Ok, first I want to say, I'm surprised at how many of you got snippy with the OP. As she mentioned, she didn't have insurance in a long time, and wasn't sure how it worked.

My question is this -for those of you who said this was perfectly normal to have insurance deductions withdrawn from your paycheck before you sign up - What if she never signed up-What if she chose to forgo the insurance?

Please tell me how it would be right for money to be withdrawn for insurance that she is not participating in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment